Shoutbox

Serial ATA..ATA/100... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Serial ATA..ATA/100... (/showthread.php?tid=37218)

Serial ATA..ATA/100... by paperless on 01-19-2005 at 10:39 PM

I want to know just for curiosity one thing: New computers use serial ata hjard disks right?.. so my computer uses ata/100 i wanna know if when i get a new computer i (dunno when :( ) will be able to use my ata/100 hard disk on that computer..?

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by matty on 01-19-2005 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I want to know just for curiosity one thing: New computers use serial ata hjard disks right?.. so my computer uses ata/100 i wanna know if when i get a new computer i (dunno when :( ) will be able to use my ata/100 hard disk on that computer..?
Most motherboards these days provide support for SATA and ATA100 just look for a board that will have ATA support (most asus boards do and so forth)
RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 12:36 AM

Dont touch an Asus, , Most if not all Motherboard have support for Both HDD's ATA an SATA,  if you wanna look or read, search Google For SATA 2, SATA Drives Now Have/had issues with the RAID Controller(s)  if not something else,  i see myself it posted in Linux Newsgoups bout SATA Problems often,  IMO, i'd stik to the IDE Drives For now,

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by lopardo on 01-20-2005 at 06:11 AM

Hey, what's wrong with Asus? I was going to get one (just gotta get some money :P).

Anyways, there are ATA to SATA adapters.

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 06:31 AM

whats wrong with Asus?.. i cant remember who posted bout a problem with Asus,, aww yeah it was Blade, PM him an ask him bout it, but my personal problems with Asus has been 1 Minor Annoyance, an the Board wasnt old either, it was when i had a 700Mhz AMD , the Sound Chip on hte Board Blew which blew my speakers ( luckily they were cheapo's)  but i then got an Gigabyte Board an have had a Epox Board ( but i wont touch htose again ) , do your Research on Asus Boards first before you buy one

as i revcall the Asus A7V333 Boards had there problems, which i think  the Asus Deluxe Board had those Fixed.  if ya set on a Asus Board i'd suggest this one,  ASUS A7N-8X-E DELUXE

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by lizard.boy on 01-20-2005 at 10:57 PM

blades problem was one of the ram sockets didnt work
i have no problems with my asus k8n motherboard except it sucks for overclocking. (athlon 64 2800+)

edit: missed the key. i dont have a 3800+
Demandred: i'm not running linux :P

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 11:50 PM

but a K8N is More up to Date Board, if you read or had of did the research urself, i was talking bout the older boards that Asus have or that i mentioned not the newer boards  f there's , , this is not mMy Opinion, i keep in good contact with a  guy that Fix's computers by Trade, , not all Cpu's are or go well when there overclocked, some do an some dont, but i myself have never overclocked a Cpu, i dont see the need to,  why would i need to  overclock a Cpu when using Linux? ..its fast enough anyway ,

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by toddy on 01-20-2005 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
athlon 64 3800+

must have set u bac alot :O

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
blades problem was one of the ram sockets didnt work

there was an easy way to fix that tho, wasn't there ???

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by CookieRevised on 01-20-2005 at 11:59 PM

There is nothing wrong with Asus motherboards, in fact, they are among the best brand ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Most if not all Motherboard have support for Both HDD's ATA an SATA
not true.

quote:
i'd stik to the IDE Drives For now,
ATA drives ARE IDE drives!

quote:
New computers use serial ata hjard disks right?
not all, but SATA is getting more and more widespread yes.

quote:
so my computer uses ata/100 i wanna know if when i get a new computer i (dunno when ) will be able to use my ata/100 hard disk on that computer..?
mostlikely yes. But it wont be ATA100 but more like ATA133 or even ATA166. But you can still use an ATA100 HD on a ATA133 port though as it is backwards compatible (of course you wont benefit from the ATA133 speed). Vice versa, you can connect a ATA133 HD on a ATA100 port but again, you wont benefit from the full ATA133 speed.

Note: in practice there isn't much of a difference in speed between a ATA100 and ATA133
RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by Hank on 01-21-2005 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Correct, but with a faster Bit rate performance  than the True IDE Interface ,

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by CookieRevised on 01-21-2005 at 12:11 AM

quote:
quote:
Correct, but with a faster Bit rate performance  than the True IDE Interface ,
no, not nessecairly... the old IDE drives are ATA33 (66?) or something. ATA100 and up have a faster bitrate, yes

RE: Serial ATA..ATA/100... by Hank on 01-21-2005 at 12:18 AM

quote:
IDE drives are ATA33 (66?

ATA IDE Drives start from 33/66/100/133 

SATA only goes at 150,  depends on motherboard you have at the time i think,   SATA 2 i dont know much about,  but i believe is in the process Now,  which i dont know if 150 will climb to a faster or stay at the same speed rate,