Shoutbox

date - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: date (/showthread.php?tid=37221)

date by megamuff on 01-20-2005 at 01:26 AM

ok, this problem has been getting more and more irritating as time goes on.

(i am using windows 2000 pro, but it even happenned before i upgraded from 98se)
in my system tray, it does not say the day of the week, for example, wednesday. but on EVERY other computer i have used, with operating systems varying from windows 98 to windows xp, it does.

EDIT: TOOL TIP PEOPLE, TOOL TIP!!!

RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 01:31 AM

megamuff thats cz there is no enought space for it, unlock the system tray by puting the cursor on it and click the right click unlock the system tray and make it wider then u will see it.

EDIT: are u encountering any trouble.

RE: date by megamuff on 01-20-2005 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MC.POP
megamuff thats cz there is no enought space for it, unlock the system tray by puting the cursor on it and click the right click unlock the system tray and make it wider then u will see it.

EDIT: are u encountering any trouble.

there is no "unlock" option, windows does not have that. and why would that be a problem of space? 1280 by 1024 resolution is plenty of room for that little tiny tooltip to pop up with one extra word in it, i would think..
RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 01:51 AM

no its not the size of the screen it is the size of the system bar itself

RE: date by megamuff on 01-20-2005 at 01:55 AM

quote:
no its not the size of the screen it is the size of the system bar itself

system bar? i dont beleive ANYTHING is called that. but the tooltip can be as big as the screen. are you even awake?
RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:00 AM

ok i meant system tray i am sorry check the attachment.
and over here on my PC it only can be half a page.

RE: date by megamuff on 01-20-2005 at 02:02 AM

quote:

wow, what third party windows shell do you have installed?

*sigh* why do people do this to me...
RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
quote:

wow, what third party windows shell do you have installed?

*sigh* why do people do this to me...

i dont get it wt do u mean.
RE: date by megamuff on 01-20-2005 at 02:07 AM

quote:

(annoyed expression)
okay. windows does not show the date in words sitting in the system tray. therefore, it seems most likely you have installed a seperate shell.

now, anyone who is actually going to try to help instead of showing off their wonderful shell they found, i would be very greatful. (would fixing my problem require registry editing?)
RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:09 AM

i  am just trying to help i didnt mean anything for showing of, just wanted to help?
i didnt install any seperate shells this is typical system tray just a different color

RE: date by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 02:38 AM

Windows could be better in that fact by showing day/Month//Date an Time in system tray, where as Gnome in linux does show it all including the Up2date feature an Gaim an or Kopete in the system tray ,

RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:43 AM

demandred wt kind of windows edition do u have?

RE: date by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 02:48 AM

i got XP Home Edition, but i use Linux also , the flavor is stated underneath my av :)

RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:49 AM

ok i need to ask u a question cant u widen your system tray in all windows editions( 98 and above)?

RE: date by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 02:57 AM

you can do that ,, Just need to Drag the bar or Panel out Wider 

RE: date by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 02:59 AM

thats wts megamuff is having trouble with.

RE: date by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 03:08 AM

should be able to do it, if you can tell or he can tell the Mouse Cursor will change   if he puts it in the right area ,, its the same as widening a Browser to suite the monitor or anything  or even resizing the MSN Messenger window by Draging it to the size you want

RE: date by lopardo on 01-20-2005 at 06:21 AM

quote:
quote:
(annoyed expression)
okay. windows does not show the date in words sitting in the system tray. therefore, it seems most likely you have installed a seperate shell.
He isn't using another shell, he's just using Windows XP and one of its themes (never seen XP before? :shocked:).

quote:
now, anyone who is actually going to try to help instead of showing off their wonderful shell they found, i would be very greatful. (would fixing my problem require registry editing?)
We're trying to help, so calm down a little and be patient, no one pays us for this, you know? I think your problem is what MC.POP and Demandred say, you need to enlarge your taskbar by dragging it from the edge.
RE: date by lizard.boy on 01-20-2005 at 10:59 PM

i think his real problem is in the tooltip that pops up when you hover over the time.

RE: date by L. Coyote on 01-20-2005 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i think his real problem is in the tooltip that pops up when you hover over the time.
Afaik, you can change this from Start => Control Panel => Regional and Language Options, and clicking on Customize...

This works for the clock and the tooltip text as well.
RE: date by M73A on 01-20-2005 at 11:16 PM

id just like to say that megamuff was extremely rude. people here are only trying to help. and being sarcastic and putting fings like '(annoyed expression)
okay. windows does not show the ....' just dont help. its not him showing anything off, my computer does exactely the same when all i do is widen the taskbar.

RE: date by Sunshine on 01-20-2005 at 11:40 PM

Megamuff: rightclick the taskbar and uncheck "lock taskbar" (second option from below). After that grab the top of the taskbar and move it upwards till it displays all you want concerning date and time. Rightclick the taskbar once more and check "lock taskbar" so it'll stay as you set it.

I think it looks ugly that wide though, so i stick with just the time. Date etc. will be displayed anyway when you rest the mousepointer on sysclock.

Edit: i reread the thread and im not sure what the problem is..
if it doesn't show the day in letters etc. you can change that by going to start > controlpanel > Date/Time/Language and countrysettings > countrysettings..check if the setting is correct (long date notation), if not click the "adjust (or customize..i have dutch version so im translating)" button and go to date (tab)..set it as you'd like it to be there.

RE: date by matty on 01-20-2005 at 11:47 PM

megamuff I may be misunderstanding what you mean but do you mean your PC isn't keeping track of the dates properly? So if its supposed to be Wednesday it shows a totally different day like Saturday? If so it might be some sort of App changing the day or the CMOS battery in your PC not keeping the date correctly. You can actually load into the BIOS and see what it thinks the date is.

RE: date by segosa on 01-21-2005 at 06:51 AM

I think he says the tooltip doesn't appear...

1280 by 1024 resolution is plenty of room for that little tiny tooltip to pop up with one extra word in it, i would think

RE: date by megamuff on 01-21-2005 at 02:09 PM

ok i figured it out... it wont show the day ("Friday" for example) unless the location is set to united states.

and, if this screenshot doesnt stop you people from lying about the date actually appearing IN the system tray outside of a tooltip, then i dont know what will.

http://phantom.no-ip.biz/images/ss/ss09.bmp
excuse the format, i dont feel like converting it right now.

RE: date by M73A on 01-21-2005 at 02:17 PM

why is everyone lying? my computer isnt set to united states and i can see the day in the taskbar. all of the replies are from very credible, computer literate people, why would they bovar lying about where the date appears!

RE: date by Sunshine on 01-21-2005 at 02:24 PM

quote:
and, if this screenshot doesnt stop you people from lying about the date actually appearing IN the system tray outside of a tooltip, then i dont know what will.

Nobody was lying here, you can have it shown in systray if you widen it (ugly, but possible) and have the countrysettings correct.
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
if it doesn't show the day in letters etc. you can change that by going to start > controlpanel > Date/Time/Language and countrysettings > countrysettings..check if the setting is correct (long date notation), if not click the "adjust (or customize..i have dutch version so im translating)" button and go to date (tab)..set it as you'd like it to be there.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=365800]

RE: date by CookieRevised on 01-21-2005 at 03:31 PM

Like said before, nobody is/was lying and nobody was rude. We are all trying to help you. And as you provide a vague discription of what you actually meant/wanted we could only guess to the most likely thing you meant.

To change what is shown in the tooltip you must do as Sunshine told you. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with using another shell or which country  you've set. The layout of the tooltip has some default settings per country, but you can easly change this. (And that is probably what happend with your settings)

• Go to your config panel in Windows
  • Click on Countrysettings (the thing with the globe as icon)
  • 1) Go to the Countrysettings-tab (most likely this would be the very first tab you'll see)
  • 2) Click on Customize near the dropdownbox of the country
  • 3) In the new window that will appear click on Date (mostlikely the 4th tab)
  • 4) On the bottom of that tab you'll see something like long date settings. Here select, or change, the format that you like.
Note that these settings are also used in other parts of Windows.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=365837]
click to enlarge
RE: date by megamuff on 01-21-2005 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Like said before, nobody is/was lying and nobody was rude. We are all trying to help you. And as you provide a vague discription of what you actually meant/wanted we could only guess to the most likely thing you meant.

To change what is shown in the tooltip you must do as Sunshine told you. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with using another shell or which country  you've set. The layout of the tooltip has some default settings per country, but you can easly change this. (And that is probably what happend with your settings)
  • Go to your config panel in Windows
  • Click on Countrysettings (the thing with the globe as icon)
  • 1) Go to the Countrysettings-tab (most likely this would be the very first tab you'll see)
  • 2) Click on Customize near the dropdownbox of the country
  • 3) In the new window that will appear click on Date (mostlikely the 4th tab)
  • 4) On the bottom of that tab you'll see something like long date settings. Here select, or change, the format that you like.
Note that these settings are also used in other parts of Windows.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=365837]
click to enlarge

you forget that i use windows 2000, so your instructions are completely futile as the operating systems are way too far apart. the only icon in my control panel that is a globe is regional settings, and it has NONE of the things you described.
RE: date by CookieRevised on 01-21-2005 at 04:35 PM

quote:
you forget that i use windows 2000, so your instructions are completely futile as the operating systems are way too far apart.
The steps are almost exactly the same and not hard to work out.

quote:
the only icon in my control panel that is a globe is regional settings, and it has NONE of the things you described.
That is EXACTLY what we are talking about...

But, if you don't want to be helped, fine...

RE: date by megamuff on 01-21-2005 at 04:42 PM

quote:
quote:
you forget that i use windows 2000, so your instructions are completely futile as the operating systems are way too far apart. the only icon in my control panel that is a globe is regional settings, and it has NONE of the things you described.
The steps are almost the same and not hard to work out. But, if you don't want to be helped, fine...

again, format, sorry, dont feel like converting.
[Image: time1.bmp]
[Image: time2.bmp]
[Image: time3.bmp]
[Image: time4.bmp]
[Image: time5.bmp]
[Image: time6.bmp]
[Image: time7.bmp]

told ya so

EDIT: fixed #1
RE: date by Sunshine on 01-21-2005 at 04:50 PM

This is what we were talking about all along...sure it may be in diff places on diff OS's (it's seldom in a very diff place), but the principle is the same...you can't expect us to know where it is located exactly on every OS.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=365902]

RE: date by megamuff on 01-21-2005 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
This is what we were talking about all along...sure it may be in diff places on diff OS's (it's seldom in a very diff place), but the principle is the same...you can't expect us to know where it is located exactly on every OS.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=365902]

on the canada setting, in that section, only two options exist:

MMMM d, yyyy
d-MMM-yy
RE: date by CookieRevised on 01-21-2005 at 04:55 PM

Then edit the options using the abbrivations MMMM, d, yyyy, d, MMM, yy, etc... like I suggested in my previous post

quote:
(...) Here select, or change, the format that you like.

Look at the screenshot I've provided. it is EXACTLY the same as your screenshots and you "regional settings"....
RE: date by megamuff on 01-21-2005 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Then edit the options using the abbrivations MMMM, d, yyyy, d, MMM, yy, etc...

thank you!! that worked!!
RE: date by lopardo on 01-21-2005 at 05:23 PM

"Don't feel like compressing the image"? Some of us still have modems! If you don't want to open the image with a program to save it as JPG, GIF or PNG, at least compress it into a ZIP or RAR...