Shoutbox

Microsoft Update On WMP Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem (/showthread.php?tid=37223)

Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 04:55 AM

When we asked Microsoft about a rather nasty Windows media player bug earlier this month, we were told that "this is not a security hole -- it's using a feature of the DRM in a way to get users to download something, but it's not a hole that needs to be patched.". As readers might remember, the exploit used a weakness in the way WMP gets licenses for content to direct users to sites filled with adware and spyware.

eWeek today announced that Microsoft are reversing their position on the bug, and that the company would in fact be releasing an update to fix the problem. Although true that an update will be issued, Microsoft deny that they are reversing their position. Mike Coleman, Lead Product Manager of Windows Client team today said that the company had intended to look into the problem. He also stated that contrary to many reports, the problem was not a security flaw. "After that review, we determined that it made sense to offer an update to consumers that would allow them to have greater default control over license acquisition elements within the Player".

The update will be available within the next 30 days. The patch will allow the end user more control over when and how any pop ups get displayed in the licence acquisition process. Microsoft urges users to only view website and content from trusted sources, and ensure they are patched up to date on Windows Update.

More on the issue

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 05:01 AM

thanks for the info.

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 05:03 AM

interesting how they say  'an update will be available  within the next 30 days"  whats taking so long,

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by MC.POP on 01-20-2005 at 05:05 AM

i think it is not just a hole it is a BIG thing concerning the security of WMP I THINK.

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 05:07 AM

shame M$$ didnt see that at first when reported,

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Joe on 01-20-2005 at 05:10 AM

Neowin.net :banana:

give credit where due man

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 05:35 AM

if u had of looked aton at the URL i put up, it leads to a Neowin.net site ,

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by lopardo on 01-20-2005 at 06:09 AM

Winamp rules!! :banana: :)

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 06:46 AM

personally i use RealPlayer,in windows an Linux ;)

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by segosa on 01-20-2005 at 06:54 AM

I was told that anything that plays .wma files needs to support DRM so Winamp or any other player is vulnerable too :/

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by lopardo on 01-20-2005 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
I was told that anything that plays .wma files needs to support DRM so Winamp or any other player is vulnerable too :/
I don't know, because I don't really care as I don't like the .wma format... :)
RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 07:04 AM

i think Winamp put out a fix for it, i not sure

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by lopardo on 01-20-2005 at 07:10 AM

Many "security bug fixes" appear in Winamp's version history pages, but wma isn't mentioned.

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 07:52 AM

aww, i thought they released a 5.08C release in to fixing that, but as i dont use winamp i dont really follow the fix's etc

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by _Humphreys on 01-20-2005 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred

personally i use RealPlayer,in windows an Linux :banana: :)

Winamp is ok but I just like WMP for some really neat features such as the wmp toolbar.

I am glad that this is getting fixed though.
RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Hank on 01-20-2005 at 09:29 AM

only think i really only use WMP for an thats for when i wanna download an or listen to a Movile ringtone before i buy it,  someplaces i can use realplayer to listen to a ringtone fine but others just wont play unles si use WMP,

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by aNILEator on 01-20-2005 at 04:46 PM

i personally think MS should release an updated version of WMP10 it still has bugs and stuff and how many times has it got to install itself????

oh also volume control when in taskbar mode is STILL BLUE!!! [/rant]

i can't decide between iTunes and WMP

iTunes is nicer but WMP has better sound quality

RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by Tochjo on 01-25-2005 at 10:01 PM

quote:
interesting how they say  'an update will be available  within the next 30 days"  whats taking so long,
Microsoft has a new policy to make it easier for mainly system administrators to apply updates by releasing multiple at the same time, once a month. This might be related to that :)
RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by _Humphreys on 01-25-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
oh also volume control when in taskbar mode is STILL BLUE!!! [/rant]

Really it's green for me.

I wonder when this update will be released. 8-)
RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by user35870 on 01-25-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
Really it's green for me.

its green here too
RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by aNILEator on 01-26-2005 at 05:34 PM

i mean teh background of the volume control the bar is gree yeah but the background isn't

RE: RE: Microsoft Update On WMP Problem by user2319 on 01-28-2005 at 10:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Microsoft has a new policy to make it easier for mainly system administrators to apply updates by releasing multiple at the same time, once a month. This might be related to that :)

That still makes it a stupid policy :-/ I mean, I want bugs fixed ASAP, not "next month", and if it's something really bad, MS doesn't wait a month, which means that sysadmins still don't know when they've got to update. Also I read an article about people finding it fun to release info about a bug they found, right after the monthly updates.