Shoutbox

eXeem public beta - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: eXeem public beta (/showthread.php?tid=37296)

eXeem public beta by aNILEator on 01-22-2005 at 12:12 AM

Just incase your one of these people who like to know news about stuff well the eXeem public beta was released earlier today.

Some people are reporting it to have adware and spyware (blah blah blah) included with it, so you may be interested in eXeem lite (sounds familiar hey ;-))

well there you go.

Oh and bittorrent does have its legal uses one example is distributing America's Army computer game (A Free computer game made by the american army) :P and i think openoffice.org has this as a method of distibution aswell :D

RE: eXeem public beta by Dempsey on 01-22-2005 at 12:21 AM

where is it avaialble and is there a official website with any onformation on it?

RE: eXeem public beta by leito on 01-22-2005 at 01:11 AM

In it's official page, google for it.

Third party software???

quote:
6.    Third Party Software

6.1 During the process of installing the Software you must install software from third party software vendors pursuant to license or other arrangements between such vendors and yourself ("Third Party Software"), including without limitation those software components noted in Section 6.4 below. Please note that the Third Party Software may be subject to different licenses or other arrangements, which you should read carefully. By installing and using the Third Party Software you accept these Third Party Software licenses or other arrangements and acknowledge that you have read them and understand them. Swarm does not sell, resell, or license any of this Third Party Software, and Swarm disclaims to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, any responsibility for or liability related to the Third Party Software. Any questions, complaints or claims related to the Third Party Software should be directed to the appropriate vendor.

6.2 SWARM  MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR SUITABILITY OF THE THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF HE THIRD-PATRY SOFTWARE,  IN NO EVENT WILL SWARM  BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT,PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES HOWEVER THEY MAY ARISE AND EVEN IF SWARM HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVISE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

6.3 There are inherent dangers in the use of any software available for downloading on the Internet, and Swarm cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the potential risks before agreeing to install any of the Third Party Software. You are solely responsible for adequate protection and backup of the data and equipment used in connection with any of the Third Party Software, and Swarm will not be liable for any damages that you may suffer in connection with using, modifying or distributing any of the Third Party Software.

6.4 Embedded Third Party Software.  You will have an option to install (and to uninstall at a later date) certain embedded Third-Party Software.

6.5  In exchange for downloading the Software at no cost, you expressly agree that you accept the Embedded Third Party Software and that so long as you have not entirely deleted the Software from your computer you will not take any action, including downloading other software which modifies, is intended to modify or permits others to modify registry or other settings on your computer to, disable, remove, block, prevent the functioning of, or otherwise interfere with any of the Embedded Third Party Software.

RE: eXeem public beta by DJeX on 01-22-2005 at 01:36 AM

Check out the SuprNova site, links there.

RE: eXeem public beta by Pyroteq on 01-22-2005 at 03:33 AM

BTsource.org is the new Suprnova, You must do a quiz to register.

RE: eXeem public beta by Caboose on 01-22-2005 at 03:59 AM

You can download it at eXeem.com

Yes, there is apparently some adware in it, but I personally have none for some reason. Where the ads should be, there's only white rectangles. I also scanned with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. Spybot only found an empty AdCache folder in the Windows/system32 directory, and Ad-Aware found nothing. But some people have posted on Neowin that they have Cydoor (the bundled adware) right after they installed eXeem. But, there's a 'lite' version that takes out the adware; the file isn't updated to the newest public beta release though so it's still pretty buggy, but for future reference it can be found here :)

[EDIT]: The 'third party' stuff is, I believe, a toolbar for IE. You can choose if you want it installed or not during installation.

RE: eXeem public beta by -dt- on 01-22-2005 at 08:08 AM

yes finally ive been waiting for this scince private bittorrent site shavtn been going too well lately :(
dling exeeem now

RE: eXeem public beta by Kryptonate on 01-22-2005 at 11:35 AM

eXeem does not have spyware but adware as it just shows ads. And if  you get caught with the lite version you'll be banned from the network.

RE: eXeem public beta by user35870 on 01-22-2005 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
And if  you get caught with the lite version you'll be banned from the network.

how will thay no?
RE: eXeem public beta by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 12:02 PM

how?.. there's ways to findout,  but whther there gonna care who knows

RE: eXeem public beta by user13774 on 01-22-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
But, there's a 'lite' version that takes out the adware; the file isn't updated to the newest public beta release though so it's still pretty buggy, but for future reference it can be found here

They already have a .net domain name: http://www.exlite.net/
RE: eXeem public beta by -dt- on 01-22-2005 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=136863&cid=11436028

eXeem is a piece of shit. Not only that it will have adaware and spyware, it is also a "lock-in". You will only be able to use it on SuprNova. They have modified the torrent file. It is missing a lot of dictionaries ("key -> value"), and dictionaries that should have been subdictionaries start directly in the file. For example "files" is not in "info" it starts with it directly. This torrent changes were unnecessary. Also, the "announce" and "announce-list" are missing. eXeem has a hardcoded url of a tracker of all the peers on eXeem. The original seeder of a torrent acts as a tracker (so SuprNova won't have to host torrents), but eXeem is in no way decentralized because of the tracker that keeps in contact all the eXeem users (it does not care about torrents, just eXeem users). So, all you have to do is to kill the main server, and all the users of exeem will be disconnected (this happened when suprnova died). THIS IS WORSE THAN THE WAY TORRENTS ACT NOW. EXEEM IS HYPE AND A WAY TO MAKE MONEY. IT SUCKS! I think the best way to decentralized BitTorrent, is to have trackers that are decentralized IRC server style. If you people want something decentralized and a little bit of BitTorrent, get G2 (Gnutella2) and add BitTorrent's tit-for-tat to it.

=/ wonder if thats true because if it is then :(
RE: eXeem public beta by Twan on 01-22-2005 at 07:18 PM

I didn't find any problems yet in the normal 0.20 verison :S.. 
but I know it allready had 25.000 users while it had only 3000 yesterday or something so it's gorwing fast.. :)

and what about the spyware adaware en money talk ??
I can't see anything bad or am I blind ??

RE: eXeem public beta by Mike on 01-22-2005 at 08:01 PM

What does this software do?
Is it like Bittorent?

RE: eXeem public beta by Kryptonate on 01-22-2005 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
What does this software do?
Is it like Bittorent?
it's a p2p network for torrents.
RE: eXeem public beta by user13774 on 01-22-2005 at 08:24 PM

quote:
and what about the spyware adaware en money talk ??
I can't see anything bad or am I blind ??

It installs Gator, an adware program, that shows extra popups and advertisements. Try running ad-aware and you'll see: Download Ad-Aware
RE: eXeem public beta by Kryptonate on 01-22-2005 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
It installs Gator, an adware program, that shows extra popups and advertisements. Try running ad-aware and you'll see: Download Ad-Aware

I installed it, just like so many other people and you're the first I hear saying it installs Gator. I only heard and saw about Cydoor.
RE: eXeem public beta by aNILEator on 01-23-2005 at 12:46 AM

it shouldn't install gator :S

it uses a modified version of cydoor to display its adverts, its not a bad client tbh loads quite fast and stuff.

I don't see why people bad mouth it sooo much it has some cool unsigned bands stuff if you look hard enough (H)

also the whole organising  into sections is a good idea, new files is also a good idea. :D

RE: eXeem public beta by paperless on 01-23-2005 at 12:47 AM

it doesnt come with any adware.. thats lie my computa is clean.

RE: eXeem public beta by Chestah on 01-23-2005 at 03:40 AM

eXeem is the best program! i love it! fast downloads lots of files! its like suprnova.org + the goodness of searching the network! comment system is good :)
and already alot of users, albeit really really buggy! but once the stability improves i recommend everyone to get it! pft who cares if it shows ads.

EDIT: it does include Cydoor (M$ antispyware found it) but i don't think its intrusive spyware at all, all it does is occasionally download ads and display them in the corner of the GUI in eXeem only when its open. This is a great program the programmers do need some income to continue developing it! Its notihng like kazza's crap :)

RE: eXeem public beta by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
EDIT: it does include Cydoor

Correct me if im wrong, but Cydoor was used an is still used in kazaa , , from what i heard  there is a Newer Build of Bittorent, some1 correct me if im wrong but i htink some other company have moved into the supanova spot which is why there is a new build od bittorent
RE: eXeem public beta by -dt- on 01-23-2005 at 06:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
it doesnt come with any adware.. thats lie my computa is clean.

im with paperless with this one theres the IE toolbar that i unticked during install and a few ads within the client its self but no cydoor or anything.

RE: eXeem public beta by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 06:57 AM

404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server. . they taken the file off ?

RE: eXeem public beta by Pyroteq on 01-23-2005 at 07:39 AM

Contains W32.Cydoor.Worm (Norton AV 2004 Pro)

RE: eXeem public beta by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 07:52 AM

cydoor is not a Worm, its an Advertising marketing thing, http://www.cydoor.com/Cydoor/ thats what i located anyway through google

RE: eXeem public beta by user13774 on 01-23-2005 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
it shouldn't install gator :S

it uses a modified version of cydoor to display its adverts, its not a bad client tbh loads quite fast and stuff.

Oh srry.. it's Cydoor. For me (and ad-aware :wink:) it's all the same :grin:.
RE: eXeem public beta by aNILEator on 01-23-2005 at 11:03 PM

well i downloaded eXlite .20 (for the brief period it was released) and downloaded loads of stuff, now its just not doing anything on either exeem or exlite :(

UPDATE: eXLite just not downloading the "insert name of 700MB file" anymore but is downloading other stuff