Shoutbox

Messenger Discovery SUCKS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Messenger Discovery SUCKS (/showthread.php?tid=37301)

Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Pyroteq on 01-22-2005 at 03:31 AM

I dont know if anyone else has noticed that after they installed this shitty program they had

55 spyware objects (7 cant be removed)
186 ad aware entries

Before this i had none.
This program is a load of shit and i deleted it, messaged thier forum and now im complaining here cause its so fucking shit and id just like to congradulate patchou on making sure his program is so good and actually asks if you want to install the sponsor and dosnt put crap on your computer..

Anyways, Anyone who has this program and is reading this u should get rid of it, Anyone who dosnt, Stay away from it.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:39 AM

by installing something like that, read the install Notes profided after  you had downloaded it,  its your own fault that you didnt read any an  installed it , .

quote:
Originally posted by Scone

Anyways, Anyone who has this program and is reading this u should get rid of it, Anyone who dosnt, Stay away from it

Plenty people use it, i myself dont, im Happy with MsgPlus,  does everything i need, but scaring people into saying  "stay away from it" is just stupid
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Flames on 01-22-2005 at 04:13 AM

well at least this program still do it's job...
what's the adware entries you found?

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 04:45 AM

an what Ad-aware Program did you use?.. Not Microsofts Beta ? 

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by EvilSeph on 01-22-2005 at 04:58 AM

Hello there,

This might be a long post, so here are my apologies in advance. Where to begin... Well, I am EvilSeph, CEO of the MessengerDiscovery company, so naturally, I am here responding to your complaints. Though MessengerDiscovery's sponsor does install many adware components, let me help you get the facts straight.

MessengerDiscovery:

- Does NOT force you to install the sponsor. It is entirely optional and much like the Messenger Plus! sponsor, you are liable, responsible and at fault for failing to properly follow the installer's instructions; you can't read.

- MessengerDiscovery is not "shitty". If you wish to provide criticism, do it on our forums and do so constructively. Flaming will not be allowed (which is what you are doing here). It does what it says it does and does it well. I don't see why this concerns any of the users here at the Messenger Plus! official forums, obviously you'll either get a response along the lines of "I don't use MessengerDiscovery, I use Plus!", "MessengerDiscovery sucks! Stop using it, use Plus! instead!" and you will probably be given incorrect information and biased support.

Before you go on and say the support I provide is biased, know that if anyone "disses" Messenger Plus!, StuffPlug-NG (2), Messenger Discovery and other programs/projects etc., I will be there defending it to the end, as I'm doing here. I am a regular and experienced user with both Messenger Plus! and Messenger Discovery, and I use both (well, use to with MSN Messenger 6.2, but I can't use Messenger Discovery now because it is incompatible with MSN Messenger 7) and I really support both. So no, I'm not biased. And as I am experienced with MSN Messenger, Messenger Plus! and Messenger Discovery + deal with users that ask for support daily, on forums, on IRC etc. my support is almost always correct. Specially because I never give support unless I know it's right.

- ecko_complex, like Patchou, has no other source of income except the development of MessengerDiscovery through its sponsor. If you can come up with a better alternative than to include a COMPLETELY OPTIONAL sponsor, then bring it up on our forums and we'll continue that discussion there.

- This Messenger Plus! vs. MessengerDiscovery lameness has got to end. MessengerDiscovery has been made to work with Messenger Plus!, infact, it is highly recommended that you use both, rather than just one.

Please read the following for more information as well as removal instructions: http://forums.msgdiscovery.com/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=188 and don't troll our forums again, or you will be banned.

Please stop attempting to tarnish the reputation of a great application. You try developing a program full-time without any source of revenue - sooner or later, you'll have to either charge for the program or include a sponsor of some sort. And now that you finally know the facts, you can begin to argue.

For the benefit of the users here, here is a link to the "message" he put on our forums: http://forums.msgdiscovery.com/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=463

Thank you for taking the time to read this, the feelings you show on our forums is mutual.

Regards,
EvilSeph

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Pyroteq on 01-22-2005 at 02:52 PM

There was no option.

I cant list them, i delted them allready.

Ad-Aware SE

Im generally calm and dont flame anything, But your program pissed me off. And im not trying to start a Plus vs Discovery thing, so i dont know what your on about.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:04 PM

he's saying in the Installation Notes, you should of read, Not during the Install like Plus does, there should be a Readme.txt file with the download that you should of read

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 03:07 PM

I'm afraid that this is one of those times when I have to back up the fact that ES is most of the time right, and right this time I have a screenshot:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=366390]

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:11 PM

ur a legend trax, , now dont ya feel stupid Scone?.. think Evil deserves an Apology

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 03:24 PM

Yeah scone, after seeing this, I think there should be at least an apology, then again, people don't apologise to patchou, so it would be a bit dodgy to do so... either way, i pwned you...

I doubt the ecko_complex would have put unoptional crap on it anyway... its just dimwitted and would ruin the name of a great piece of software...

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Stigmata on 01-22-2005 at 03:39 PM

lol

to prove a point, i just installed messenger discovery (without sponsor) and scanned my pc with a up2date version of ad-aware and recieved nothing......

how many people flame n00bs on this forum about installing plus without the sponsor?

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by megamuff on 01-22-2005 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred

microsoft has nothing to do with ad-aware.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
quote:

Microsoft has created a partnership with the company 'giant' and they're making a Microsoft Anti-Spyware program... it is very good, there is a public beta released.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by megamuff on 01-22-2005 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
quote:

Microsoft has created a partnership with the company 'giant' and they're making a Microsoft Anti-Spyware program... it is very good, there is a public beta released.

yes, i know, but other than being a competitor, microsoft has nothing to do with ad-aware.

*just noticed that messenger discovery didnt start up when booting his computer today for some reason*
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 04:02 PM

quote:
yes, i know, but other than being a competitor, microsoft has nothing to do with ad-aware.

*just noticed that messenger discovery didnt start up when booting his computer today for some reason*

He meant, what Adware program did you use, he just made a typo, no big mistake, are you sure that it didn't start and wasn't hidden, check your processes...
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by megamuff on 01-22-2005 at 04:05 PM

quote:
He meant, what Adware program did you use, he just made a typo, no big mistake, are you sure that it didn't start and wasn't hidden, check your processes...

hmm... yes it is listed as a process. hmph. guess it just doesnt want me having access to it at all. it has not been providing alerts to me either like it should, like that 'has openned a conversation' one.. oh well i will just restart it.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 05:18 PM

Is Messenger Discovery working for you now? If not, then try uninstalling it, then delete the messenger discovery folder, then reinstall again... and restart... Should be okay then...

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by _Humphreys on 01-22-2005 at 05:26 PM

Messenger Discovery R0X0R5. :P It's your own fault for installing the sponsor as you didn't read the installer. You shouldn't blame a program for your own stupid mistake.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
Messenger Discovery R0X0R5. :P It's your own fault for installing the sponsor as you didn't read the installer. You shouldn't blame a program for your own stupid mistake.

Regardless of his mistake, you shouldn't really be flaming at Scone anymore, I'm sure that he understands that he made a mistake and has most likely fixed this mistake by now, so I'm guessing the whole scone discussion is over... but while we're on topic...

Messenger Discovery never detects that I'm online... I've followed instructions and I'm unsure what to do :(.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by _Humphreys on 01-22-2005 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Regardless of his mistake, you shouldn't really be flaming at Scone anymore, I'm sure that he understands that he made a mistake and has most likely fixed this mistake by now, so I'm guessing the whole scone discussion is over... but while we're on topic...

I didn't meant to flame...so sorry for the aggro Scone.

quote:

Messenger Discovery never detects that I'm online... I've followed instructions and I'm unsure what to do .

Messenger Discovery doesn't work with Msn 7.0 at the mo...but if you are using Msn 6.2 then I don't know how to fix your problem. Please visit the Messenger Discovery forums to see if any one knows your problem and how to fix it : http://forums.msgdiscovery.com/.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by EvilSeph on 01-22-2005 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
There was no option.

I cant list them, i delted them allready.

Ad-Aware SE

Im generally calm and dont flame anything, But your program pissed me off. And im not trying to start a Plus vs Discovery thing, so i dont know what your on about.

There is an option, see traxors screenshot.
quote:
he's saying in the Installation Notes, you should of read, Not during the Install like Plus does, there should be a Readme.txt file with the download that you should of read

Please direct me to this file..I'm not really sure what you mean by installation notes, however I do know what you mean by readme.txt. There is however a screen in the installer that allows you to choose whether or not you wish to install the sponsor.
quote:
quote:

Regardless of his mistake, you shouldn't really be flaming at Scone anymore...

Carltos Cool did not flame.

quote:
- This Messenger Plus! vs. MessengerDiscovery lameness has got to end. MessengerDiscovery has been made to work with Messenger Plus!, infact, it is highly recommended that you use both, rather than just one.

^^ As for that, there has always been a war, and there still is one going on right now. I never said you were trying to start one, I said you were fueling it.

I'd comment on Microsoft's Anti Spyware beta, but that might get me into trouble.

Thanks traxor and Stigmata for supporting MessengerDiscovery and for providing evidence that it has an OPTIONAL sponsor, just like Plus!.

Good day everyone.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-22-2005 at 07:34 PM

quote:
You shouldn't blame a program for your own stupid mistake.

Bah, I don't care, at least its all been sorted out now, and ES, its my pleasure to support Messenger Discovery ;)...

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by segosa on 01-22-2005 at 08:21 PM

Let's not forget how for a short amount of time it did install with the sponsor and there was no choice. He may have had an old installer ;) .

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Flames on 01-22-2005 at 10:24 PM

well, msn discovery is a great program, full support!

plus+discovery=PErFect!

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by eckocomplex on 01-23-2005 at 01:08 AM

We are going to make an announcement soon regarding the sponsor, I think everyone will like it :).

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph

Please direct me to this file..I'm not really sure what you mean by installation notes, however I do know what you mean by readme.txt. There is however a screen in the installer that allows you to choose whether or not you wish to install the sponsor
My apology ES.  i wrote that before i even Noticed Traxors Screenshot,    but im used to reading installation notes before installing anything in a windows or Linux Envirement :) or a Readme.txt  file

odd How Scone hasnt replied after Trax posted the screenshot, he prolly feels stupid n0w :)
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by megamuff on 01-23-2005 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Is Messenger Discovery working for you now? If not, then try uninstalling it, then delete the messenger discovery folder, then reinstall again... and restart... Should be okay then...

it didnt work when i ran it again.. but uninstalling, deleting folder, and reinstalling did fix it. odd bug. started misbehaving after i tripled my ram...

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Purity on 01-23-2005 at 05:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eckocomplex
We are going to make an announcement soon regarding the sponsor, I think everyone will like it :).
didn't you already make an announcement saying that it was only for a test, and you got rid of it, and now there i gonna be Sponsor at all...I swear I saw a thread about this...:|
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 05:13 AM

lOcate the tread smarty :P

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by Pyroteq on 01-23-2005 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Let's not forget how for a short amount of time it did install with the sponsor and there was no choice. He may have had an old installer ;) .

I had an old installer.
I Apologise and will now download the new one, trusting that i wont get anything i dont want with its option.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by segosa on 01-23-2005 at 11:28 AM

quote:

The only announcement regarding the sponsor that everyone would like is one in which you tell us that the sponsor has been removed.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-23-2005 at 11:29 AM

quote:
quote:

The only announcement regarding the sponsor that everyone would like is one in which you tell us that the sponsor has been removed.

Not particularly, if he wants an income, and he's constantly coding, then I'm sure that this would be the best option, keep the sponsor, probably trim it down a bit, but definitely keep it optional...
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by John on 01-23-2005 at 11:30 AM

lol, so true (what seg said)

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-23-2005 at 11:35 AM

I don't really get why you would want a guy to stop programming just because he has an optional sponsor program, think about it, if he stops getting the income from the sponsors installed, then he would have to get a job, which would lead to delayed releases of new versions of messenger discovery and possibly lead to the finalisation of a great piece of software, its not what I want to be honest...

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by EvilSeph on 01-23-2005 at 06:54 PM

Please don't speculate the details of the announcement before it is made. It just makes it more likely that people will get mad, because a rumour they heard was not confirmed by the announcement.

I hate rumours.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by segosa on 01-25-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
I hate rumours.

I hate adware packages that breach my privacy and slow down my computer to a crawl.
RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by megamuff on 01-28-2005 at 04:51 PM

i have had to uninstall and reinstall this messenger discovery thing about 10 times now, and, just by coincidence i am sure (....), i have noticed EVERY TIME, the whatpulse startup entry has disappeared IMMEDATELY after i finished reinstalling discovery.

RE: Messenger Discovery SUCKS by user27089 on 01-28-2005 at 04:54 PM

quote:
I hate adware packages that breach my privacy and slow down my computer to a crawl.

You must have a really crappy computer if the adware in messenger discovery slows it down so much :-/... Its not that bad to be honest... Does anybody know if the 'announcement' has been made yet?