Shoutbox

exe files showing in SpyHunter - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: exe files showing in SpyHunter (/showthread.php?tid=37341)

exe files showing in SpyHunter by Vazza on 01-22-2005 at 10:58 PM

Hey guys.

Looking for a bit of advice. Family computers been running really slow on the web and eventually freezing. Tracked this down to adware,spyware,malware...probably everything you could install on a machine.
Anyway, I ran SpyHunter tonight in the hopes of removing a certain program called BargainBuddy(there is no uninstaller btw). During the serach it threw up files called

• msdos98.exe
  • mine.exe
  • uninstallms.exe
  • reg66.exe
They are all located in c:\WINDOWS\mine.
What I would like to know is wether or not, it would be safe to delete these or not.

We're going to start playing with the registery on monday after a system back up wich could lead to a format, but I don't want to spend the next few days reinstalling

All help appreciated
RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by Millenium_edition on 01-22-2005 at 11:07 PM

kill 'em... probably pure spyware

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by user13774 on 01-23-2005 at 01:59 PM

Just use Ad-Aware... if they call it spy/ad-ware, it's save to remove it :)

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-108-63806.html

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by RaceProUK on 01-23-2005 at 02:19 PM

Nuke that entire folder!

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by Wabz on 01-23-2005 at 05:30 PM

Indeed spyware normally takes the filenames that makes you think twice about deleting them.  Same as most viri just use ad-aware to remove it all safely

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by Vazza on 01-23-2005 at 05:48 PM

To let you understand, Ad-aware doesn't pick it up :undecided:. Norton refuses to delete it. SpyHunter is the only one thats picking it up (that and BT! Yahoo's Anti-Spy).
Might hold off until we back up the system but if its going to be alright to move......

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by andrey on 01-23-2005 at 06:05 PM

This is most probably a virus.
Ad-aware is just scanning for ad/spyware, you should scan your system with something like AntiVir Personal Edition to find virusses. If Norton refuses to delete it, try running it in safe mode.

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by Vazza on 01-23-2005 at 06:12 PM

The last time I tried that, Norton caused a BSOD* moment, although I may have removed that problem. I'll try again, but norton isn't detecting any viruses (only the adware)

*BSOD = Blue Screen of Death

RE: exe files showing in SpyHunter by paperless on 01-23-2005 at 08:25 PM

yeah this is a virus... once i had a problem like that a virus made a folder in windows..but when i deleted the folder and when i restarted it was all there again... but damn i cant remember what i did to remove it..
First tryto remove it and then go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Run and see if theres any unknown item.. if so delete.. dont be afraid thats only the things wich start with the computer