Shoutbox

IP address - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: IP address (/showthread.php?tid=37357)

IP address by huji76 on 01-23-2005 at 09:21 AM

Is there any way to determine the IP address of my contact when he is online?
May be there is a plugin that canl help with this issue?

RE: IP adress by Stephen on 01-23-2005 at 09:25 AM

I did not know the other person  you are talkingt to on MSN know your IP address. I will look around for a Plugin tho. :)

Thanks.

RE: IP adress by Eljay on 01-23-2005 at 09:27 AM

if they have messenger plus all they have to do is type (!IP)

if you mean to get it without them knowing then this is a breach of that contacts privacy so we cant help you there

RE: IP address by Anubis on 01-23-2005 at 10:14 AM

There was a program that did this a while ago, but it stopped working when MSN changed the protocol...

There is a kind of workaround;
Click Start, Click Run, and Type cmd then click OK, type netstat -n then hit return, make a list of the result. Open a conversation window with the contact you wish to obtain the IP address of and send a file to the contact (about 2mb is perfect on most home connections), then while the file is sending Click Start, Click Run, Type cmd click OK, type netstat -n then hit return. Make a list of the results and compare the two, one of the different addresses will be theirs, if all went well there should be only 1 that is different, but depending on what programs you have running, this is not always the case. You can then use WHOIS programs and websites to get more information on the IP addresses you believe to be the contact, to increase the chance you have the correct address. A website that will allow you to lookup the IP address is http://www.arin.net/whois/
I hope this helps :)

RE: IP address by huji76 on 01-23-2005 at 10:38 AM

O, 10x a lot! It's working. (Y)
The problem is that I can not think about so much excuses for sending files each time when I need to know somebody's IP. :-)

RE: IP address by Stigmata on 01-23-2005 at 11:49 AM

huji76, i hope that you can understand..

ip addresses are a big deal.. from someones ip address it is possible to find there address names and personal information... also gain access to their computer...

if u want a saferway to find if they have been on your blog would be to ask them :)

RE: IP address by huji76 on 01-23-2005 at 11:55 AM

Stigmata, thank you very much! This is EXACTLY kind of information I've looked for. :-)
Demandred: Can't agree with you. IP is not a big deal. Everybody can easily monitor his webpages for IP-visiting. It's ok, I was't going to hack anybody. As you can see I even don't have enough knowledge for this. ;-)

RE: IP address by user27089 on 01-23-2005 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by huji76
Stigmata, thank you very much! This is EXACTLY kind of information I've looked for. :-)
Demandred: Can't agree with you. IP is not a big deal. Everybody can easily monitor his webpages for IP-visiting. It's ok, I was't going to hack anybody. As you can see I even don't have enough knowledge for this. ;-)

It is a big deal actually, with an IP address, you can get a lot of information, and afaik, dos attack people and stuff...

I sincerely believe that you won't hack anybody, but with the information on this thread, people could learn how to, and thats a potential privacy/security risk that shouldn't be taken...
RE: IP address by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 12:00 PM

quote:
I was't going to hack anybody. As you can see I even don't have enough knowledge for this.

you wasnt?.. doesnt take much or much knowledge to be able to hack someone, 
RE: IP address by Anubis on 01-23-2005 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I sincerely believe that you won't hack anybody, but with the information on this thread, people could learn how to, and thats a potential privacy/security risk that shouldn't be taken...

There are already a few threads that explain this, and anyone who can hack will be able to figure that out on their own...

quote:
The problem is that I can not think about so much excuses for sending files each time when I need to know somebody's IP.
lol, True. It also works with webcam and audio chats...
RE: IP address by huji76 on 01-23-2005 at 12:06 PM

with the information on this thread, people could learn how to hack anybody
I don't look for this kind of information. All I want to know is the IP itself. And thats it.

doesnt take much or much knowledge to be able to hack someone
Ok, I still haven't it and don't look fot it. I am sure that there is a long-long way from detecting the IP to hacking to someone's computer.

Anubis, thank you. I guess you are the onlyone here, that don't mean to flood only in this thread. :-)

RE: IP address by Stigmata on 01-26-2005 at 12:12 PM

:)

if you use anubis's method, you must run netstat just after the accept is accepted

RE: IP address by huji76 on 01-26-2005 at 12:46 PM

Ye, i guessed so. Anyway, i don't use it.