Shoutbox

[Sug] Adding contacts with a note - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note (/showthread.php?tid=37379)

[Sug] Adding contacts with a note by haydos on 01-23-2005 at 05:06 PM

ok i was thinking would it b possible wen adding somebody new 2 ur msn to add a note so they know who it is, ie. John from school often ppl dont use there actual names in there msn nick so this way the person allow/blocking would know exactly who it is

(hope this makes sense:D)

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by Fraisie on 01-23-2005 at 05:09 PM

Just rename them ! click on their name in the contact list, select Messenger Plus! Extra, then rename :)

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by saralk on 01-23-2005 at 05:11 PM

it can't be done with messenger plus! because it requires messing  with the protocol, but....

this is from the msn messenger chat with the team to develops it the other day.

quote:
Roger (Expert):

Q: When people add me as a contact, I'd like to see a personalized note. I usually don't recognize just an email address. Just a sentence, like "Hey, it's Mary, we met last night." That text would stay with the contact incase I forget why I added them.

A: Well, we actually considered this situation just two weeks ago! People sometimes don't send Friends and Family mail when adding their buddy...so we have come up with an idea to help make this easier (tho' not as involved as your suggestion...which we also considered). Stay tuned...

complete transcript here

edit: oh you meant it that way, well you could also use the add note feature by going to Messenger Plus! Extras > Contact Information. From there you can add notes.
RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by haydos on 01-26-2005 at 02:26 AM

yea i meant what saralk said the 1st time with the personalised note. Notes they can see when they accept/block you when u 1st add them

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by zaidgs on 01-26-2005 at 02:57 AM

u mean like in yahoo messenger (i guess) and some similar instant messaging program?!?!

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by Purity on 01-26-2005 at 03:25 AM

Do you mean sticky's about hte person?
If so I'm interested....

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by haydos on 01-26-2005 at 03:45 PM

hmmmmm this is gonna b hard 2 explain without a pic..... lets say i add someone@hotmail.com to my list, they get the little window saying haYdn (inc__@hot...) has added u to theier contact list, would u like 2 accept or blok

i was wondering if it could say haYdn You gave me ur msn at skool (inc__@hot...) has added u to their contact list, would u like 2 accept or block

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by zaidgs on 01-26-2005 at 04:26 PM

some instant messenging cients allow that, but i dont think its possible in msm messenger with plus (but i cannot be sure).

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by haydos on 01-26-2005 at 04:41 PM

well we can always hope.... Messenger Plus! 3.5 (a)

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by Eljay on 01-26-2005 at 05:02 PM

not possible because of the way the msn protocol works afaik (please correct me if im wrong :P)

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by L. Coyote on 01-26-2005 at 06:22 PM

Exactly. The problem is: how is that other person going to send the message to your client?

The only solution is that the person sends you an email, or puts "John from school" as his nick when adding you.

Like in Y!IM it requires that the server saves that text to show it to you when you get added to a contact list. So Plus! can't do anything about it.

As someone said before, it's something that has been suggested to the people that can do it: the MSN Messenger developers team.

We'll just have to wait. :)

RE: [Sug] Adding contacts with a note by Plik on 01-26-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
    quote:Roger (Expert):

Q: When people add me as a contact, I'd like to see a personalized note. I usually don't recognize just an email address. Just a sentence, like "Hey, it's Mary, we met last night." That text would stay with the contact incase I forget why I added them.

A: Well, we actually considered this situation just two weeks ago! People sometimes don't send Friends and Family mail when adding their buddy...so we have come up with an idea to help make this easier (tho' not as involved as your suggestion...which we also considered). Stay tuned...

Anyone else read that. Thats exactly what your asking for