Shoutbox

pixelated to gd quality? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: pixelated to gd quality? (/showthread.php?tid=37438)

pixelated to gd quality? by M73A on 01-24-2005 at 09:46 PM

how would i turn a pixelated image into a good quality image? it can be done with cctv, what bout .jpg's and .bmp's?

thanks for any replys

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by paperless on 01-24-2005 at 10:29 PM

[Image: no.jpg]

:P no you cant make a bad quality image into good quality one.. you can do the oposing thing though..

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by M73A on 01-24-2005 at 11:40 PM

y can police and twats do it wit cctv pictures? must b a way? probs not commercial...sod it

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by Maniac on 01-24-2005 at 11:50 PM

In movies they always do... lol but i strongly doubt it's possible. The information that is required to make the image better is simply not there.... so unless there is an uber-program that can guess the missing parts.... doubt it

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by DJeX on 01-25-2005 at 12:17 AM

Humm yea like that show CSI, some detetive got the reflected image off this girls eye in a pic of her. Pfft yea right.

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by MC.POP on 01-25-2005 at 01:18 AM

maybe there is a program to arrange the pixels randomely untill i get the picture u want. ofcourse in a selected area because if it was a big picture it would take forever.

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by WDZ on 01-25-2005 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
y can police and twats do it wit cctv pictures?
My best guess is that they take advantage of multiple frames of video. Each frame is at least slightly different from the one before it, so maybe by combining data from many frames, and applying advanced algorithms/filters, they can get a higher level of detail.

Of course, I don't believe most of the image enhancement I see on TV shows. Notice how it's much more common on fictional shows as opposed to shows based on true stories? :p
RE: RE: pixelated to gd quality? by M73A on 01-25-2005 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
y can police and twats do it wit cctv pictures?
My best guess is that they take advantage of multiple frames of video. Each frame is at least slightly different from the one before it, so maybe by combining data from many frames, and applying advanced algorithms/filters, they can get a higher level of detail.

Of course, I don't believe most of the image enhancement I see on TV shows. Notice how it's much more common on fictional shows as opposed to shows based on true stories? :p

-yea spose, hmm clever bast*rds.....
-lol, why would the tv show bother, probs doing it other way round hmm*-)
RE: pixelated to gd quality? by fluffy_lobster on 01-25-2005 at 07:08 PM

There are image sharpening algorithms that systematically guess where actual edges are.  I believe the most effective of these is unsharp masking.  Google it.  Most graphics packages such as photoshop/psp/fireworks have a "sharpen" tool which uses processes such as these to improve the image.

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by KeyStorm on 01-27-2005 at 11:27 AM

Or if it's square-pixelated, you can try to reduce the size to a point and zoom it in with some bicubic algorithm. This won't make it much better, but at least you don't have those chunky pixels anymore, but a smooth thing (rather blurred than pixelated in this case). Applying a sharpener there might improve it a bit.

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by gif83 on 01-27-2005 at 11:44 AM

best way i can think of is to use blur, sharpen and then hand tools to touch up... the computer cannot make educated guesses about the whole picture, only follows certain rules. you however, can work out what the picture is meant to look like and improve the image.

doing it like in the films is impossible... the only way i can think of that being realistic is if the cctv camera is capable of high res images but will be set at low res to monitor movement... when a high res image is needed it has to change to take a better image. just like in a digital camera with different quality settings.

however making something out of nothing is impossible! or else i would be rich

RE: pixelated to gd quality? by fluffy_lobster on 01-27-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
however making something out of nothing is impossible!
This is true, but you haven't got nothing. If you have a pixel, you generally have the average colour of that portion of screen.  By comparing it to the ones around it, or by making a mock comparison by smudging them into one another and comparing it to the unsmudged version (the basis of unsharp masking) you can at least retrieve lost shape from poor focus/definition.  Generally what loses out is the precise colour of these shapes... if you apply a nonsharp mask with extreme values, you will get as perfect a shape as you could ask for, but crazy colour contrast.

It really does enhance the raw capabilities of the camera.  Astronomers use it all the time to get pictures of stars and galaxies which the hubble telescope just cannot see in focus, and the same can be achieved when improving the quality of cctv footage
RE: pixelated to gd quality? by gif83 on 01-27-2005 at 09:18 PM

what i'm saying is that it's always going to be a calculated guess...and the guessing should be done not soley by yourself or soley by the computer... a partnership is the best option... which is also done by astronomers (who hire artists)