Shoutbox

computer on/off - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: computer on/off (/showthread.php?tid=37481)

computer on/off by user35870 on 01-25-2005 at 10:20 PM

is it better to leave a computer running (if you use it day and out) or switching it off then turning it on again?

RE: computer on/off by MC.POP on 01-25-2005 at 10:21 PM

i think it is better to leave it on but not more than 1 day.

RE: computer on/off by Ezra on 01-25-2005 at 10:22 PM

IMO switching off, My computer tends to get very slow after 30 hours of running or something like that...

EDIT: By that I mean leave it running all day and shut it down for the night.

RE: computer on/off by paperless on 01-25-2005 at 10:23 PM

There is no problem in leaving it on all the day(24 hours).. its even better

RE: computer on/off by _Humphreys on 01-25-2005 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

IMO switching off, My computer tends to get very slow after 30 hours of running or something like that...

lol did you try it. :S

I suggest leaving it on if you are just going somewhere for a 30 mins to an hour...but not all day.
RE: computer on/off by user35870 on 01-25-2005 at 10:27 PM

thanks cause i was just woundering my schools computers are on all day and nothing happens to them

RE: computer on/off by paperless on 01-25-2005 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
thanks cause i was just woundering my schools computers are on all day and nothing happens to them

There is no problem in that.. that way they dont get a lot of dust and other things that acumulate when something is stopped
RE: computer on/off by _Humphreys on 01-25-2005 at 10:30 PM

Thats about six hours correct? Well I don't suggest a ridiculous amount of time such as 13 hours.

RE: computer on/off by _Humphreys on 01-25-2005 at 10:35 PM

Well what I am trying to tell you is that if the computer gets too hot bad things might happen. Basically if you don't need to keep it on then don't. Plus it's a waste of money to keep the computer on when you don't need it.

RE: computer on/off by paperless on 01-25-2005 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
Well what I am trying to tell you is that if the computer gets too hot bad things might happen. Basically if you don't need to keep it on then don't. Plus it's a waste of money to keep the computer on when you don't need it.

Its bad for the enviroment also if in your country the most used sources of energy are not renewable...

The computer doesnt get too hot because the fans are frequently expelding the hot hair... and its winter
RE: computer on/off by user35870 on 01-25-2005 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
    quote:Originally posted by Carltos Cool

Its bad for the enviroment also if in your country the most used sources of energy are not renewable...

The computer doesnt get too hot because the fans are frequently expelding the hot hair... and its winter

ok thanks for the advice :)
RE: computer on/off by Purity on 01-25-2005 at 10:56 PM

I leave my computer on for 24hours then after that my dad will just come in my room and press "THE BUTTON"! No matter what's running...:P:|, The longest I've had it on was for 101 hours. :P

[Off-Topic]

the highest temp I had it at was 51 Degrees, and it averages 30
The Small LCD moniter on the Tower will tell me when it's too hott, it's never been too hot yet tho....:p

RE: computer on/off by Jhrono on 01-25-2005 at 10:59 PM

well my time record is one day and 13 hours or so ...i think its good to leave it on...if u turn off the monitor there's no prob...my friends monitor the other day got burnt:P

RE: computer on/off by Pyroteq on 01-26-2005 at 03:49 AM

i leave mine on from when i wake up till when i got to bed which is probly about 18 hours i dont sleep alot.. but i turn my screen off when im not here.

RE: computer on/off by emit on 01-26-2005 at 04:06 AM

more than 30 hours is bad?! not more than one day?! what what what?

My PC has been on for 79 days at its longest. But it got used most days. I once went away on holiday and left it on for two weeks. I leave it on, connected to the internet/IRC for days, sometimes without touching it. Keep it turned on. ;>

RE: computer on/off by WDZ on 01-26-2005 at 04:31 AM

quote:
There is no problem in that.. that way they dont get a lot of dust and other things that acumulate when something is stopped
wtf? :p Dust accumulates inside your PC when it's turned off? If it's turned off, the dust is unlikely to get in there in the first place... :^)

I usually turn my PC off when it's not gonna be used for more than like 3 hours. I dunno if that's the best thing to do, but it makes sense to me, for the power savings if nothing else. I think it's comparable to turning off the lights when you leave a room. Other points include less wear on moving parts (fans, hard drive), and increased security: with a broadband (always on) connection, a computer is obviously more secure if it's turned off.
RE: computer on/off by Hank on 01-26-2005 at 04:36 AM

quote:
is it better to leave a computer running (if you use it day and out) or switching it off then turning it on again?

Windows is Dumb, needs to be rebooted every day atleast once or twice, so it is better to turn it off when your not using it
RE: computer on/off by lopardo on 01-26-2005 at 06:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
wtf? :p Dust accumulates inside your PC when it's turned off? If it's turned off, the dust is unlikely to get in there in the first place... :^)

I usually turn my PC off when it's not gonna be used for more than like 3 hours. I dunno if that's the best thing to do, but it makes sense to me, for the power savings if nothing else. I think it's comparable to turning off the lights when you leave a room. Other points include less wear on moving parts (fans, hard drive), and increased security: with a broadband (always on) connection, a computer is obviously more secure if it's turned off.
I totally agree with you, WDZ. If boot up time is your concern, then configure Windows to use your power button to hibernate (Control panel > Energy options > Hibernation*), it will shutdown and boot up faster, and as you left it :-)

* = crappily translated from Spanish Windows XP :grin:

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Windows is Dumb, needs to be rebooted every day atleast once or twice, so it is better to turn it off when your not using it
Not if you're using Windows 2000/XP. :)
RE: RE: computer on/off by Moo on 01-26-2005 at 06:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

I totally agree with you, WDZ. If boot up time is your concern, then configure Windows to use your power button to hibernate (Control panel > Energy options > Hibernation*), it will shutdown and boot up faster, and as you left it :-)

* = crappily translated from Spanish Windows XP :grin:
That's exactly what I do... Hibernate closes and saves your open programs and loads them up like they were when you boot. 
RE: computer on/off by segosa on 01-26-2005 at 06:51 AM

My current uptime is: 2wks 5days 15hrs 32mins 32secs
My record is: 5wks 5days 9hrs 22mins 40secs

I have a program called Windows Uptime running all the time collecting stats and the average time I reboot my computer is every two weeks.

I have only once turned off my computer: when I went on holiday for a week. Apart from that it has been running non-stop for 730+ days.

And no, Windows XP isn't any different after 5 weeks of use compared to after it's just been rebooted. :)

EDIT: http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html

RE: computer on/off by kao on 01-26-2005 at 06:58 AM

quote:
quote:

XP can be on for weeks and be no slower than when it was first booted, my record is only about 19 days but its usually on for about 7 days then gets rebooted for some reason or another, and it never gets slower
RE: computer on/off by TReKiE on 01-26-2005 at 07:00 AM

Current Uptime: 4w 4d 22h 3m 54s

What does this mean?  It's been 4 weeks, 4 days since the last Windows Update that required a reboot ;)

RE: RE: computer on/off by emit on 01-26-2005 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
Not if you're using Windows 2000/XP. :)

What what what?! Rebooted every day?! What is this misconception you all have about windows being totally unstable? Even with Windows 95, in six years of running a Win 95 box, it got rebooted like once every 2-3 weeks and turned off yearly to go on holiday.... you're all mad if you ask me.
As Segosa says it needs a rare reboot, and turning it off completely? Only if I know I'm not coming back to it for a month or more.... insane.
* emit shakes his head ruefully
RE: computer on/off by kao on 01-26-2005 at 07:03 AM

Windows ME needed a reboot at least once a day on my old 350mhz ;x

RE: computer on/off by Moo on 01-26-2005 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Windows ME needed a reboot at least once a day on my old 350mhz ;x
There's your problem... Windows ME!

RE: computer on/off by Eljay on 01-26-2005 at 07:41 AM

i never leave mine on when im away for more than an hour unless im downloading big files.... :rolleyes:

RE: computer on/off by _Humphreys on 01-26-2005 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
My current uptime is: 2wks 5days 15hrs 32mins 32secs
My record is: 5wks 5days 9hrs 22mins 40secs

quote:
Originally posted by TReKiE
Current Uptime: 4w 4d 22h 3m 54s

:| You guys are nuts seriously why do you want to keep your pc's on for that long?

My record is : 15 hours.
RE: computer on/off by Jhrono on 01-26-2005 at 12:29 PM

maybe they run an allways on game server :P i dont know...

RE: computer on/off by Wabz on 01-26-2005 at 02:48 PM

I leave mine on all the time I'm going to use it.  If I go home from uni for a weekend its turned off because its unnecessary to have it on.  Otherwise its on permantly.  (2weeks now :P)

RE: computer on/off by zaidgs on 01-26-2005 at 04:41 PM

there is a difference between keeping it on, and not rebooting!!!
personally i keep the computer on most of the time, i nvr turn it off manually, but i do set it to hibernate after 2 hours.
my windows CANNOT keep running without a reboot, it reboots automatically ALOT!!! im just not sure why!
i turn the pc on first thing in the morning if it was a holiday, or just after i come back home if i was out for a while (either hanging out, or at university, or smthn similar), it'd nvr hibernate before i go to bed, cuz even if i was not using it, i'd have to check smthn every once in a while.
I wonder how u ppl can keep ur computer on without a reboot all this time, is windows all that stable?!?! :S it is not 4 me!!

RE: computer on/off by user35870 on 01-26-2005 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
is windows all that stable?!?! it is not 4

well thay say win xp can stay on for along time with out a reboot
RE: computer on/off by segosa on 01-26-2005 at 06:01 PM

quote:
is windows all that stable?!?!

Windows XP SP1 has never crashed.
RE: computer on/off by user35870 on 01-26-2005 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Windows XP SP1 has nevercrashed.

i no sp2 is good too :)
RE: computer on/off by saralk on 01-26-2005 at 10:32 PM

Sometimes i leave it on overnight, like if im downloading/uploading something, or defragging my hard drive. But usually i just turn it on in the morning and turn it off before I go to bed.

RE: computer on/off by segosa on 01-27-2005 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TashaJ
I'd say leaving it one all the time is a bad idea. It will get very hot (in the summer)

That's why there are fans cooling the processor .. :P
RE: computer on/off by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-27-2005 at 10:11 AM

quote:

i used to use xp-sp1, currently i use sp2
i dunno, but i once used win98 on, and it didnt restart automatically, and also i use linux on it, and it does not restart!!
also i tried replacing some of the computer devices (i changed winmodem, also tried running computer without ethernet, used each of the two RAM chips -128MB each- seperately) and i tried the BIOS Fail Safe settings: none of those stopped computer from restarting automatically!!!
when i bought the pc it came with win2000, it was fine too, but i want to keep using xp because i find it most suitable to me!!

the two main things that cause crashes are when playing games, and using internet; games especially nfs6, nfsu2, (nfsu didnt cause me trouble)
there are few random crashes too.

i use latest drivers for most of my devices (all didgitally signed too)
i got no viruses at all, i use symantec antivirus corporate edition always with latest definitions, and norton internet security 2003,
and also no spyware or adware, as i take care of what i download!!

My PC is same as his...Crashes often and gets the BSOD often...But I cant do anything about it.

Btw, the Windows 98 on my PC now is more stable than the Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4 on my PC now...
RE: computer on/off by Edna Mode on 01-27-2005 at 11:58 AM

[i know you guys are past this thread but..]

my computer is normally on from 11:00 amto 1:00 am