Shoutbox

Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) (/showthread.php?tid=37487)

Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-25-2005 at 11:58 PM

[20th April 2005] - Notice: this recruitment will be continued at http://chameleon.keystorm.net/community/showthread.php?tid=8, thanks for participating :)

Yeah!

Here's KeyStorm bugging you again with the damn script. I'm honestly creating a lot of expectative around the recode of the g'old  KSMAS, and still dunno what the result will be (buggy, for sure, but at least an attempt to better the world :P)

Anyway, as the threadtitle says: I'll need translators in some weeks, when I have my first stable builds and we can play on them. There will be MP! Website-similar files and a dev-script to add the working languages to the database (all translations will be placed to the DB by default in thefinal builds, but translators will need to test them).

Anyway, I managed to have some rather consistent groups for Spanish (both), Catalan and Galizian. Other languages, like English, German or French will probably need some backup (my English and German are good, but I'm not used to German computer jargon, for example, ie I'll need correctors).

Other languages I completely don't know and I think this is the place to find some amateur translators.

I'd like to point out, that I need consistent groups, that can respond when there's an upgrade. That or the translation will be dropped in the next version, I can't be checking if all strings are up to date.

I'm posting a poll with some languages. Feel free to add another one choosing "Other...". I'm not sure about issues like RTL support and other weird things, but I'm coding in UTF-8 and that should be ok for most special alphabets, afaik.

Also, if there's an overhelming demand for one language and I can't take so much people in a group I will use discretion to choose who joins and who doesn't. I'm sorry about having to act like this, but I can't afford more burocratical solutions to such issues.

I hope we have a great time developing together! :)

Thanks.

Provisional list:

So, the translation-helpers for English will be:
* KeyStorm rolls a dice...

me
blade
atownjoe (acknowledged)

Dutch is also closed now:
Tochjo (leader) (acknowledged)
Kryptonate (acknowledged)
TB

French is closed to:
Apatik (leader) (acknowledged)
Mithrandir (acknowledged)
Millenium_Edition (acknowledged)

Spanish America is closed to:
Kafman (leader) (acknowledged)
lopardo (acknowledged) (not sure if you'd like to join here, but you should join the Spanish discussion)
Gerardo_Cm2

Spanish Spain closed to:
Mandorallen (leader) (acknowledged)
Choli (acknowledged)
me

Catalan, closed:
Tarry (leader) (acknowledged)
UnduTheGun (acknowledged)
Choli (acknowledged)

Galizian, open:
Anio_pke (leader)

German, open:
[no leader] (me provissionally, but read the first post)
kikemel

Portuguese, closed:
Gonçalo F. (leader) (acknowledged)
paperless
johny (acknowledged)

Danish, open:
A. Madsen (leader) (acknowledged)

Greek, open:
Mike2 (leader) (acknowledged)

Swedish, open:
Leif (leader) (acknowledged) (were you doubting that? ;))

Hindi, open:
John Anderton (leader) (acknowledged)

Chinese Traditional, open:
Mnjul (leader) (acknowledged)

Hebrew?
sock (leader) (did you mean to do Hebrew? :^))

Ok, this is it by now. All those listed above, please send me an email to translation:cheesy:chameleon.keystorm.net (yeah, yeah, :cheesy: means @). I need to know your addresses to add you to a sort of mailing list I'm about to do.

Thanks a lot!

(this list will be updated for a while)
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Joe on 01-26-2005 at 12:07 AM

not sure as to what exactly I'll be doing, but i'm in :banana: English:P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Eljay on 01-26-2005 at 07:27 AM

ill do english too :banana:

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by KeyStorm on 01-26-2005 at 12:39 PM

All right, those who applied for English will be correcting testing the English (original by me) translation, searching for any mistakes. That means I don't need many people in there. But I'd rather need people for the rest of languages.

It's really not very much to do, so it won't take you more than a little while o translate the first version, but still the translations are needed.

Please, be so kind and join :^)

:P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Kryptonate on 01-26-2005 at 12:41 PM

I can translate into dutch if you want :).

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Re-Mi on 01-26-2005 at 12:50 PM

if you want i also can do the dutch part

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Millenium_edition on 01-26-2005 at 02:18 PM

Dutch & french, no problem for me :D

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Gonçalo F. on 01-26-2005 at 02:33 PM

glad to help on the portuguese task.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by .blade// on 01-26-2005 at 02:46 PM

I'll help the english part :P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Mike on 01-26-2005 at 04:30 PM

I can probably do Greek :)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Apatik on 01-26-2005 at 05:20 PM

i will coach M_E for the french translation ;p

(surprising hu?)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Eljay on 01-26-2005 at 05:24 PM

when will this translation stuff begin?

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by John Anderton on 01-26-2005 at 05:38 PM

English and others well i mean hindi (india's national language)
Is eng there cause the base product is in spanish ???
KS is spanish rite ?
Id love to be a translator. :D

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by KeyStorm on 01-26-2005 at 05:41 PM

Apatik, I was just waiting for you to respawn ;)

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
when will this translation stuff begin?
As soon as I have some stable code you can use to test your translations. I have to say that I lost a part of my code (like the tables and I had to rewrite some code because my Apache stopped from working and I was too stupid to do proper backups. So it can take several weeks for me to finish a basic version. It will actually have no new feature, but the use of mySQL, a new design, the future option of managing templates and the translations.

That's a lot of work, but I expect to finish it soon ;)

3 translators is far enough for one group, so no need to apply to groups which are already 3. Also, it will be best for you if you join the language you best know, like M_E, Dutch, for example (right?).

Well, thanks a lot to those who have applied for the groups. Keep coming the less usual langs! :)

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
English and others well i mean hindi (india's national language)
Is eng there cause the base product is in spanish ???
KS is spanish rite ?
Id love to be a translator. :D

Hindi would be great! (Y)

The base program's in English, but I know I do many mistakes and I'll need some poeple to correct me. I won't need more help in English, so stick to your main-language.
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by lopardo on 01-26-2005 at 05:49 PM

Hey KeyStorm, I can help you with English and Spanish. I guess you won't need more help with these languages, but I can help you get a neutral Spanish, without "modismos" :P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Millenium_edition on 01-26-2005 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
3 translators is far enough for one group, so no need to apply to groups which are already 3. Also, it will be best for you if you join the language you best know, like M_E, Dutch, for example (right?).
actually, dutch & french are both official languages in belgium, and since i love in brussels, i can do both perfectly :) altho i'd let the others do the dutch translation cause they probably got more experience than me.
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by banky on 01-26-2005 at 07:37 PM

English all the way :P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Eljay on 01-26-2005 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Don

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
I won't need more help in English, so stick to your main-language.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by banky on 01-26-2005 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
quote:
Originally posted by The Don

quote:
I won't need more help in English, so stick to your main-language.

ok i was doing that lee my main lang is english :O
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Leif on 01-26-2005 at 07:48 PM

I could have a go at a Swedish translation if you're interested in that tiny language in the far north.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by paperless on 01-26-2005 at 08:14 PM

I can translate to portuguese as well :)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by x2zen on 01-26-2005 at 08:18 PM

I can do the danish translation

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Mithrandir on 01-26-2005 at 09:06 PM

I can help with French translation :) (it's my main language)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by Concord Dawn on 01-26-2005 at 09:20 PM

I'll go for French, since I have to take it anyways in school. (:dodgy: Ontario)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! by KeyStorm on 01-26-2005 at 10:53 PM

I don't need 8 helpers ion English, not even half of them. This is why I pointed out that every non-English speaking volunteer didn't need to join English. I could even ask my gf for help (she's actually studying for PCE). I'll have to choose some and discard the rest for English.

Let's talk a bit about how this should get organised: There will be 3 members in each translation group at most. One of them being the leader. Being leader does not mean the other have to obey him/her, no. It means that s/he will be representative for the group like contacting me or making changes in the group. I'm suggesting a leader for each group, but it's up to the group itself to choose who's the leader depending on each one's condition or situation. As you'll agree I can't manage every group, but leaders should get in contact with the other two members, talk to newcomers, etc. This requires a bit responsibility from the leaders.
I'm suggetsing leadership to actual MP! translators, but it's all up to the group.

Anyway, I'll send you specs and files when I get you.

Btw, I'll be creating a board for Chameleon as soon as MyBB Gold is released. For the sake of avoiding to have to update it :P. In the meanwhile this is the place where I'll try to recruit people (A)

Roll up to the top of the thread to see the list of people finally assigned to the groups and to see if a group is open to new members or otherways it's closed. :)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by lopardo on 01-27-2005 at 12:36 AM

Hey KS, what will be the difference between the two Spanish versions? If it's going to be like Messenger Plus (one formal and one informal), I'd prefer doing the formal one, I don't really like my computer talking in an informal way :P (I'm used to the Windows way).

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Mnjul on 01-27-2005 at 04:48 AM

It appreas that no one has applied for Chinese yet; Which are you referring to, Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese, Keystorm? :)

(Oh wait, I haven't used KSMAS before actually...:dodgy:)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Eljay on 01-27-2005 at 07:45 AM

quote:
So, the translation-helpers for English will be:
* KeyStorm rolls a dice...

me
blade
atownjoe

:'(
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-27-2005 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Hey KS, what will be the difference between the two Spanish versions? If it's going to be like Messenger Plus (one formal and one informal), I'd prefer doing the formal one, I don't really like my computer talking in an informal way :P (I'm used to the Windows way).

Well, I'm sure you know better than I about all Lating jargon (ordenador-computadora). The way your Windows speaks to you in Argentina and the way it does in Spain are different. You may join the es-Es group, but I'll speak to Mandorallen to see what's to do.

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
It appreas that no one has applied for Chinese yet; Which are you referring to, Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese, Keystorm? :)
Actually any, I don't really know which is better for this case, either way, the one which can affect less to charset compatibility in UTF-8 But maybe both work... Hum, actually up to you! :D

About leejeffery... it's true, I had to leave you out. But you're still a beta tester and may use the live version of CBC as soon as it exists. ;)

Edit: Don't forget to send me an e-mail to the address in the first post with yours. Thanks!

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by lopardo on 01-27-2005 at 04:04 PM

quote:
The way your Windows speaks to you in Argentina and the way it does in Spain are different.

No, they aren't. Windows has only one Spanish translation, which is a neutral translation, for example, instead of "ordenador" or "computadora", "PC" or "equipo" is used.
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by UnduTheGun on 01-27-2005 at 05:00 PM

Thanks for giving me the chance to be a Catalan Tranlator KS =P
* UnduTheGun thinks that he could also help in the Valencian Translation xD

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-27-2005 at 05:23 PM

quote:
No, they aren't. Windows has only one Spanish translation, which is a neutral translation, for example, instead of "ordenador" or "computadora", "PC" or "equipo" is used.
All right, I was mis-leaded, then.

I'll add you to es-Es then (which is supposed to be a less "modismo"-based translation). You can help Choli and Mandorallen (Spaniards) to achieve this. Most of time, one can't know if one's using "modismos" or not.

Baboon, I guess you're Undu, welcome to the group.
* KeyStorm thinks of changing the name of "Catalan" to "Catalan/Valencian" just to ensure that no dodgy things happen... :dodgy:
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by .blade// on 01-27-2005 at 05:27 PM

ROFL, I guess I should check this thread more often :P I'm an english translator and I didn't know it :P.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-27-2005 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
ROFL, I guess I should check this thread more often :P I'm an english translator and I didn't know it :P.
You're rather English corrector/tester since natural language is English anyway :P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by .blade// on 01-27-2005 at 06:17 PM

I know, but same difference, keystorm...
:P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-28-2005 at 10:48 AM

So, can I count with Mnjul for Chinese (any)? :-/

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Mnjul on 01-28-2005 at 11:25 AM

Oops sorry, I forgot this thread, Keystorm :)

Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese are two different charsets (computerizedly saying, they are two different languages). UTF-8 can deal with both.

I hope I haven't mixed you up yet :P

I can only do Traditional Chinese, and before I apply for this, I'd like to know how many "entries" (or sentences) in total will be translated, in case I bite off more than I can chew :)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-28-2005 at 12:21 PM

They are really few. You'd be done in one hour, I guess. I thought of making some documentation and that being translatable, but that would have no deadline.

Traditional Chinese will be perfect. :)

Don't worry, if you're alone in your group, you may have some extra time anyway. I'll do lots of alpha and beta releases, so you won't be in a hurry and you'll be able to study. ;)

Thanks.

btw, I still need some email addresses!!! Please, check back the first post.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by John Anderton on 01-28-2005 at 02:06 PM

Omg he selected me. i dont believe no other indian sent his name. i mean saralk for one. he was working on msg plus! translation but dunno what happened.
Thanks
* John Anderton opens gmail and mails Ks

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Mike on 01-28-2005 at 02:11 PM

Email sent. ;)

By the way, I think I forgot to tell you:
If you send the "big file" in gmail, then send me an email on the hotmail email to inform me that you sent something in my gmail...

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-28-2005 at 03:13 PM

John, you may ask saralk to back you up still, he may have not read this thread. ;)

Roger that, Mike.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Tarry on 01-28-2005 at 04:27 PM

I'm the Catalan leader :banana:

KS, you could do language and dialect selection, for example:

French -> France
                Canada
Spanish -> Spain
                  LA
English -> America
                 United Kingdom
Catalan -> Catalan
                  Valencian

Please note that Catalan is the only one that has specific names :banana: :lol:

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Mnjul on 01-28-2005 at 04:33 PM

quote:
They are really few. You'd be done in one hour, I guess. I thought of making some documentation and that being translatable, but that would have no deadline.

Traditional Chinese will be perfect. :)

Don't worry, if you're alone in your group, you may have some extra time anyway. I'll do lots of alpha and beta releases, so you won't be in a hurry and you'll be able to study. ;)

Thanks.

btw, I still need some email addresses!!! Please, check back the first post.

I'll go for Traditional Chinese then. :) Will mail you after you add me to the list. ;)
RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Jhrono on 01-28-2005 at 07:22 PM

I'm in 4 portuguese...i'm glad to help if i can;)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by x2zen on 01-29-2005 at 07:05 PM

Well I can do the german too, if you dont find anyone else.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-30-2005 at 12:54 PM

We'll see... I still have to finish the app. Then I'll try to translate into German. I'll leave it to you to test it and correct it.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Jhrono on 01-30-2005 at 01:54 PM

Just emailed you...i didnt know it was suposed to email u...sorry if i kept you waiting..

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 01-30-2005 at 03:58 PM

Please, check the list again and mail me if you are not (acknowledged).

Thanks. :)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by Eljay on 01-30-2005 at 04:00 PM

seeing as blade isnt acknowledged yet do u want a new english translator/corrector?? :P

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by panos78 on 03-02-2005 at 12:48 PM

I can be part of the greek group.
I have already sent an email.
:)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by rix on 03-02-2005 at 02:47 PM

If it's not late to apply, then I would do the Estonian part ;)

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by EGIS on 03-02-2005 at 03:31 PM

I'll do Norwegian, if it's not too late.

RE: Chameleon (KSMAS) needs translators! (provisional groups available) by KeyStorm on 04-20-2005 at 10:29 PM

Please remember to email me your e-mail addresses and your nicknames to join the definitive translators list. Check the list at http://chameleon.keystorm.net/community/showthread.php?tid=8. If you'd like to join the translation, please post there and you will be included into the list, if your group isn't complete.

Thank you! :)