Shoutbox

is it possible? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: is it possible? (/showthread.php?tid=37582)

is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-27-2005 at 11:22 PM

k im new to the forums so go easy on me :D well i'd like to know if its possible to  open .dll files if it is then with what?

and second question: is it possible to remove that rating line from that plugin that tells u what song are u listening if u insert the command /xmp ?

RE: is it possible? by .blade// on 01-27-2005 at 11:25 PM

Firstly, welcome to the forums :)

2nd, you can use programs like resource hacker and resource tuner to open .DLL and .EXE files.

Thirdly, I don't know but if there's no config command then prob. not.

RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-27-2005 at 11:27 PM

man im loving these forums..can get an answer so quickly :D but where can i get a program like that?

RE: is it possible? by paperless on 01-27-2005 at 11:36 PM

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-27-2005 at 11:38 PM

ok tnx i appriciate it :)

heh i dled it and now i opened this file but hmm i dont know how to work with it...i:$

RE: is it possible? by L. Coyote on 01-28-2005 at 03:28 AM

SikStyles, a little advice: don't double-post, instead, use the edit button. :) Forum rules.

To edit DLLs and EXEs you should know what you're doing. If you don't, I suggest you don't edit those files, as you could end up damaging the files (always make a back-up of the file you're going to edit).

RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-28-2005 at 03:39 AM

im sorry i did a double post wont happen again...well yea i know i aint gonna change em but i dont even know what can i do with it :P its not how i pictured how .dll files look like..i tried to change a icon but later on i cudnt see the pic i put so maybe i did sometin wrong...where did ya'll learn this?

RE: is it possible? by ddunk on 01-28-2005 at 03:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
and second question: is it possible to remove that rating line from that plugin that tells u what song are u listening if u insert the command /xmp ?

Read: http://www.x2software.net/forums/faq.php?faq=faq_...plus_configuration
RE: is it possible? by matty on 01-28-2005 at 03:47 AM

Most of us have been around PCs for most of our lives, me for example.

DLL files will be compiled into resources and without lenghty sessions for decoding the assembly code all you will see are its dialogs and icons and strings and images.

RE: RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-28-2005 at 11:06 PM

to matty: so basically u learn it all by urself. not any tutorials for tthis?

RE: is it possible? by segosa on 01-29-2005 at 06:21 AM

DLL files are only useful when used by another program (an exe) you can't "run" them as an app unless you use rundll32.exe but there is no reason you would WANT to do so. They're for use by other programs.

SikStyles: I can't really say many people use "tutorials" for trivial things like knowing what a DLL does. I only read C++ tutorials. :p

RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-29-2005 at 03:55 PM

yea i know but i thought like u know it teaches u to do sometin u dont know but i guess there isnt :P

ok guys tnx anyways, im just gonna take some .dll file make a backup file and then change it the way i can :D

RE: is it possible? by The_Thief on 01-29-2005 at 04:42 PM

I'm always hesitant to play with .dlls because you can really screw up your machine I mean BIG TIME

RE: is it possible? by paperless on 01-29-2005 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by serpico

I'm always hesitant to play with .dlls because you can really screw up your machine I mean BIG TIME

IP Address: Logged
Today 16:42     
    Quick Quote
« Next Oldest     Return to Top     Next Newest »

No thats some kind of a myth ..people who never saw a computer in life or just use it to play solitaire think that.. you dont brake p your computer messing up with dlls... :dodgy:
RE: is it possible? by saralk on 01-29-2005 at 05:09 PM

you could screw up a program by messing with .dlls

but what if you mess around with rundll32?

RE: is it possible? by segosa on 01-29-2005 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by serpico

A dll is technically less dangerous than an exe as routines inside the dll can't be executed unless called by an external app. If you're referring to the mass amount of dlls in \system32 then deleting/modifying them is obviously not a smart thing to do, and the same goes for exes. I'd say editing the registry is something more likely to screw up your system.

EDIT: Bah, beat me to it.
RE: is it possible? by SikStyles on 01-30-2005 at 04:29 PM

lol i'd never edit .dll files that are important to my computer such as rundll32, i just use a little program what i dled or sometin and see what can i do with it...for example this wmplus plugin for msn i just wanted too see how its done and thats it...never ment to save it too...i dont know what can i do with it :P