Shoutbox

Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon (/showthread.php?tid=37583)

Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Hank on 01-27-2005 at 11:55 PM

Microsoft Beta co-ordinator, Roger Holland, has just informed current testers of Windows Update v5 that version 6 of the update service is due to hit beta soon.

The Windows Update v5 beta ended late last year and Windows Update v5 is the current release that millions of users across the world are using. In an email to testers, Holland, thanks v5 testers and reminds testers that "the WU v6 beta is for testing only; you should not rely on this site to maintain security updates on any operational, non-test system."

The new release of Microsoft Update will aim to keep Microsoft products secure and up to date with the latest patches, beginning with Windows, Office, SQL, and Exchange. Microsoft are currently developing Windows Update Services for enterprise customers wishing to update Microsoft Windows 2000/XP, Microsoft Office XP/2003, Exchange and SQL.

We're not sure on an exact date but the beta will open its newsgroup doors within the next 2 weeks. Stay tuned for the latest news on WUv6 here at Neowin.net

Windows Update v6 Comming Soon

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by WDZ on 01-28-2005 at 04:37 AM

If you keep copying and pasting articles from Neowin like this, I'm going to assume it's just a dodgy way of increasing your post count, and start moving your threads to T&T. :p

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Hank on 01-28-2005 at 05:07 AM

:P  doesnt bother me at all  like it does sum :)

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by uberdosis on 01-29-2005 at 09:32 AM

Why cant M$ ever get things right the first time.

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by saralk on 01-29-2005 at 09:36 AM

not many software companies get it right the first time. Most software they release is beta tested, however that can hardly ever find all bugs and things that would be cool.

So when they release to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

You could hardley expect Microsoft to release Windows XP when they released Windows 1.0?

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by The_Thief on 01-29-2005 at 04:38 PM

Did they get bored with 5? lol

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by segosa on 01-29-2005 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
lease to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

I doubt you're a coder. If you were you would understand that people rarely write a piece of code right FIRST time. I myself always end up with stupid mistakes at compile-time like a missing semicolon, or some sort of syntax error. Most are easy to fix but then there are times when you haven't written a loop properly or incremented a variable at the right place/etc so you need to spend a while debugging to fix it.

Most of the time something doesn't work and you can spend hours trying to fix it, only to find out finally at the end it was something INCREDIBLY simple. It's frustrating as hell. I once spent about half an hour on a dodgy regex that would NOT work, turns out it was because new-lines aren't counted in .* :(
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by megamuff on 01-30-2005 at 12:25 AM

whats all this about v5? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ redirects to v4, so obviously that is the latest release.. um.. maybe you have your numbers crossed or something but... :|

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Hank on 01-30-2005 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
not many software companies get it right the first time. Most software they release is beta tested, however that can hardly ever find all bugs and things that would be cool.

So when they release to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

You could hardley expect Microsoft to release Windows XP when they released Windows 1.0?

they can find all Bugs, thats why the Public or inhouse testers are there to locate the Bugs, its jsut Microsoft trying to improve  or beat Redhats Up2date feature

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Vazza on 01-30-2005 at 01:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
whats all this about v5? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ redirects to v4, so obviously that is the latest release.. um.. maybe you have your numbers crossed or something but... :|

I think the update thing goes by Windows Version (though I could be wrong) I have v4 on windows 98, and v5 on XP.

Feel free to correct me if I'm worng
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Hank on 01-30-2005 at 01:51 AM

ur correct , but i think the V6 is a Fix or whatever from SP2 downloads as its near its End of downloading from the V5 update  so i think M$$$ wanna eradicate that problem by maybe issueing another WUS  page

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by mad_onion on 01-30-2005 at 08:35 PM

yeah well version 5 works fine for me and it does seem they could spend their time on updating other things that might actually need it. i mean 5 has only been out for a while!
oh and demadred i think it is a bit unnessasary to keep posting the neowin news here. they have a thread for every piece of news they make just post your opinion there. :)

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by John Anderton on 01-30-2005 at 08:45 PM

saw that but thanks anyways
Is it rite to put this link here i mean is it appropriate ?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/images/old_news.jpg

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by megamuff on 02-01-2005 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
quote:

I think the update thing goes by Windows Version (though I could be wrong) I have v4 on windows 98, and v5 on XP.

Feel free to correct me if I'm worng

wow, you seem to be right...

copy the following line into your address bar and press enter..
view-source:http://www.windowsupdate.com/redirect.js
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by segosa on 02-01-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
copy the following line into your address bar and press enter..
view-source:http://www.windowsupdate.com/redirect.js

Don't forget to mention it only works for l33t Firefox users. :P

EDIT: You don't even need view-source: :P
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Menthix on 02-01-2005 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Don't forget to mention it only works for l33t Firefox users.
Get your facts right, view-source works in IE too.

I think Windows Update is one of the most important things for Microsoft to keep their products safe. From what i saw on another (Dutch) news site, it seems they want to offer more non-Microsoft updates trough Windows Update. Like updates for your hardware drivers (like already is done for certain drivers) and maybe even updates for normal non-Microsoft applications. I think that's a nice idea, to get all the updates you need in one place with just a few clicks.

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
it does seem they could spend their time on updating other things that might actually need it. i mean 5 has only been out for a while!
Yes, V5 and XP SP2 aren't that old yet, but i think Windows Update can still be improved. And keep in mind that the team who works on Windows Update doesn't work on most other Microsoft pojects. Those other projects are still worked on too, just by other people.
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by megamuff on 02-02-2005 at 03:01 AM

quote:
Don't forget to mention it only works for l33t Firefox users. :P

EDIT: You don't even need view-source: :P

um.. i only use IE, i only ever will use IE or IE based browsers, i am particularly against firefox though, firefox sucks entirely because it is made by aol. i prefer as little aol as possible on my computer.
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Hank on 02-02-2005 at 04:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
yeah well version 5 works fine for me and it does seem they could spend their time on updating other things that might actually need it. i mean 5 has only been out for a while!
oh and demadred i think it is a bit unnessasary to keep posting the neowin news here. they have a thread for every piece of news they make just post your opinion there. :)

dont ya think iv'e tried signing up  to there crappy forums? .. how many times? .. more than 2 times , i get no activation thingy to activate the account in whatever email address i get hem to use ..
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by segosa on 02-02-2005 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Don't forget to mention it only works for l33t Firefox users.
Get your facts right, view-source works in IE too.

I purposely opened IE to try it because I did think it was only for Firefox, and it didn't work. I got 'Page cannot be displayed'. I do it now, and it works. It's very probable that someone would come to the conclusion that it does not work in IE if it doesn't when he tries it. It was not a 'fact' stuck in my mind. Also, if the "l33t" bit got you annoyed, let me add on that it was sarcastic.

quote:
firefox sucks entirely because it is made by aol. i prefer as little aol as possible on my computer.
Firefox is NOT 'AOL'. Mozilla was funded by Netscape which is owned by AOL. Big difference.

RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by megamuff on 02-02-2005 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Firefox is NOT 'AOL'. Mozilla was funded by Netscape which is owned by AOL. Big difference.

sure.. whatever you want to beleive, but i know mozilla is part of netscape and therefore aol.
else, would you mind explaining why firefox identifies itself as netscape, please?
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Concord Dawn on 02-03-2005 at 12:16 AM

quote:
quote:

sure.. whatever you want to beleive, but i know mozilla is part of netscape and therefore aol.
else, would you mind explaining why firefox identifies itself as netscape, please?

Because originally Mozilla was based on Netscape, but their new browser (l33t Firefox) was built from scratch.
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon by Menthix on 02-03-2005 at 10:30 AM

Firefox is owned by Google!!!11ONE1 Because Ben Goodger who is lead engineer for Firefox is working for Google.

Really, don't believe everything you hear. Yes, the guy did join Google. But he is still working for Firefox and Firefox is owned by Mozilla. Mozilla does get money from some companies but that doesn't mean those companies own Mozilla.