Shoutbox

help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc (/showthread.php?tid=37584)

help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by andrey on 01-28-2005 at 12:14 AM

My father's notebook quitted working some days ago, he then took it to some tech support guy who said that the only thing we could do, to save the data, would be to install the notebook hdd on our desktop computer, using this adapter.

Okay, we installed the hdd correctly, connected it to the adapter and then tried to start the pc.
It didn't recognise the hdds anymore, and said "please insert system disk". Did it, tried to start it, didn't work.
A look in the bios showed that it didn't recognise any of the two hdds.

I then decided to disconnect the notebook's hdd again, restarted the computer and it worked, it recognised the pc's hdd again.
My suspicion is that the master/slave wasn't set correctly but I have no idea...

What can I do to install the notebook's hdd as drive G:\ on the pc, having the notebook's hdd as slave and the pc's hdd as master ? (without formatting anything :dodgy:)

Any help appreciated, if you need some system specs, tell me how/where I can find them :rolleyes:

RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by .blade// on 01-28-2005 at 12:26 AM

You see, the problem is that it's formatted by a different motherboard so your desktop's motherboard doesn't recognise it.

RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by andrey on 01-28-2005 at 12:37 AM

But when I started it it didn't recognise it's own hdd either...
Anything I can do about that and get both hdds working ?

RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by .blade// on 01-28-2005 at 12:42 AM

Does it work if you remove the laptop HDD again?

RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by andrey on 01-28-2005 at 12:44 AM

If you mean the pc's hdd...
yes it does, obviously :wink:

RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by .blade// on 01-28-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
If you mean the pc's hdd...
yes it does, obviously :wink:

then you're screwed, I'm sorry to say :-/
RE: help! need to install notebook's hdd on my pc by andrey on 01-28-2005 at 03:23 AM

:-/ damn
...and there's really no way to get the laptop's hdd working on my pc ?