Shoutbox

Overclocking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Overclocking (/showthread.php?tid=37602)

Overclocking by Wabz on 01-28-2005 at 02:38 PM

Hey guys being at uni I have my own machine on my desk.  Its lasted a good 6 year now and still works really well.

Its a pentium 3 650MHz and I'm starting to consider if its worth overclocking.  However I have no clue where to start, how far to overclock it with the standard heatsinks and fans anyone got any advice on where to begin

P.S.

I think this should be in Tech Chat :P

RE: Overclocking by .blade// on 01-28-2005 at 02:42 PM

Not worth OCing :P

You'll fry the poor thing after it worked so hard for you :( :P

RE: Overclocking by kao on 01-28-2005 at 02:47 PM

start in bios :P but you need to make sure the cpu fan and other cooling is good really

RE: Overclocking by Tasha on 01-28-2005 at 02:48 PM

You'll fry it. :p Unless you want to do that... ^o) XD

RE: Overclocking by kao on 01-28-2005 at 03:04 PM

its not THAT easy to fry a cpu (if your cooling is good o.0), i have my athlon 2500 up to 2326MHz now and i havn't finished going up yet :P

RE: Overclocking by ripdown on 01-28-2005 at 10:02 PM

You can overclock it but to overclock it to a worthwhile speed you will need some kickass cooling system :P

RE: Overclocking by paperless on 01-29-2005 at 01:09 AM

What about a 1400 Mhz Processor? Its AMD...

RE: Overclocking by Hank on 01-29-2005 at 03:13 AM

IF u want good cooling, just leave the Case top off :) an make sure the computer is in a Non dusty area,  But BIOS is a good start  to overclock it, but in some cases some cpu's rnt worth overclosing coz u dont see any difference at all

RE: Overclocking by toddy on 01-29-2005 at 03:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
IF u want good cooling, just leave the Case top off

thats not true at all !!! specially if you are using fans !! a close case is actually better because it keeps the air flow (bringing in cold air to replce the hot air) going !! where as without a case it can't control where the air from the fans go

if you have a water cooler then yes leaving the case off maybe abit better ?!?!?

RE: Overclocking by Hank on 01-29-2005 at 03:41 AM

iv'e known people to do it if they overclock , saves on spending money on a fan )   works for them,  i personally cant see any harm in it if the computer itself isnt in a dusty envirement

RE: Overclocking by Weyzza on 01-29-2005 at 04:18 AM

Logically, toddy is right.

If you want to open the case, you have to make sure that the CPU is also in a cool temperature room, preferably in air-conditioned room.

Yeah, right... you save some bucks on CPU sink but you're knocked up in electric bill. :lol:

RE: RE: Overclocking by Hank on 01-29-2005 at 04:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
Logically, toddy is right.

If you want to open the case, you have to make sure that the CPU is also in a cool temperature room, preferably in air-conditioned room.

Yeah, right... you save some bucks on CPU sink but you're knocked up in electric bill. :lol:

that might be so but i have known People to do it the way iv'e sugggested an they havent had any problems , sure the computer has been in a air-conditioned place to, but also not a dusty room either,