Shoutbox

no video on boot. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: no video on boot. (/showthread.php?tid=37635)

no video on boot. by lizard.boy on 01-29-2005 at 05:51 AM

ok a p2 350mhz recently came into my possesion. i was setting up my kvm swicth and now it wont boot.

when you press the powerswitch you dont get anything on the monitor but you can hear the hdd spinning and the led on the fdd is on nothing happens to the cdrom.
i've tried rstarting it and useing another video card that worked when i pulled it out of a compaq deskpro. i've got the cmos battary out and will try it in the morning. other than that all i can think of is the psu.

if anyone else can think of something i'll try it.  if not the cpu is going into my granmothers pc and i really have no use for it anyway. at 350mhz with 64mb ram its hardly good for linux imo :P there goes my cluster idea for now :P

RE: no video on boot. by uberdosis on 01-29-2005 at 07:28 AM

Id try and new psu first, see how that goes.

RE: no video on boot. by Mike on 01-29-2005 at 07:31 AM

Does the screen work?

RE: no video on boot. by matty on 01-29-2005 at 08:43 AM

Blah when you turn on the computer what does the monitor actually say? Is it just black or can you see the PC Post but when you get into Windows its blank.

If the monitor is blank from the time you turn on the computer pull out the VGA cable. If the monitor displays text your videocard in the PC is pooched. If there is still no display try a different monitor.

If its just once you load windows. Shutdown the PC and reboot while tapping F8. Log in and goto the Control Panel and to Display Settings and just click the Apply button and then reboot it yet again :).

RE: no video on boot. by kao on 01-29-2005 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
at 350mhz with 64mb ram its hardly good for linux imo
!!! lies ;o

my linux box was a P1 166 @ 200MHz with 96 ram, onboard 512kb S3 chip vga and a 4gb HDD and it ran 4 or 5 BNCs and an IRCD with services just fine :P

:refuck:
RE: no video on boot. by lizard.boy on 01-29-2005 at 04:19 PM

i'm gonna try a new psu asap. the monitor works, its the one i use for this rig.

when i booted it trying to get the kvm switch working it wouldnt detect a serial mouse, so i rebooted it and got didily squat. the monitor just stays on standby.

RE: no video on boot. by The_Thief on 01-29-2005 at 04:37 PM

Video card first, then try to hook up another monitor and see if that works..  Then try different slots that may resolve your issue.