Shoutbox

Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? (/showthread.php?tid=37865)

Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by saintgtril on 02-03-2005 at 06:48 AM

As the thread title stated, is there a way to tell, either by plug-in etc ...?
Thanks in advance :)

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by Pyroteq on 02-03-2005 at 06:53 AM

Well if you have 7 press the nudge button, and if they have 6 it will say they need to upgrade to 7 to use the feature..

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by L. Coyote on 02-03-2005 at 07:23 AM

If asking your contact doesn't solve the issue, you can do as Scone said, use the Nudge (I do that :p).

If they have Messenger Plus! installed, tell them to type (!VER), as it'll show their OS, MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! versions (they must have Commands and Tags enabled).

As far as I know, the version number is not stored anywhere when the contact is writing to you or you see them in your list, so there is no way it can be known by Messenger Plus! or a plugin. *-)

Edit: well, yeah, the protocol. But still, why mess with that, when you can just ask? :p

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by _Humphreys on 02-03-2005 at 08:17 AM

Or send them a wink. All of the above ways and mine will work. :P

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by saintgtril on 02-03-2005 at 08:45 AM

what if i not using msn 7?
i using msn 6.2.
is there any way to find out then?

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by L. Coyote on 02-03-2005 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saintgtril
i using msn 6.2.
No.
RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by matty on 02-03-2005 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Well if you have 7 press the nudge button, and if they have 6 it will say they need to upgrade to 7 to use the feature..

:mipdodgy: Because they can be disabled in the preferences (like I have cause they are fucking annoying)

The best way... "Hey do you have the new and exciting MSN Messenger 7?" I know its pathetic but meh!
RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by user13774 on 02-03-2005 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
i using msn 6.2.
No.

Matty... that is what he meant :)
RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by toddy on 02-03-2005 at 02:32 PM

all you need to do is ask them once, and they put in in your custom name for them

if u don't want a custom name and want to see they name then use the code "(!N)" that shows there name

eg

(!N) - msn 6   this would show "[contact's name] - msn 6"
(!N) - msn 7   this would show "[contact's name] - msn 7"

depending one which is true

RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by Millenium_edition on 02-03-2005 at 03:02 PM

actually, it is perfectly possible using the protocol. the only problem is that there is no plugin to do that atm.

RE: RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by saintgtril on 02-04-2005 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
actually, it is perfectly possible using the protocol. the only problem is that there is no plugin to do that atm.

i was wondering can we erm.... make a plugin for this? :P
or is it already in work somewhere?? *-)
RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by Cromp on 02-04-2005 at 03:23 PM

The nudge/wink idea works fine, even if the contact has winks and nudges disabled beceause it still sends from your side, or it says your contact has disabled nudges/winks.

however, when they do not have msn 7, it says they are using an older version.

RE: RE: RE: Is there a way to tell if your contact is using msn 7 or 6.1? by saintgtril on 03-26-2005 at 03:14 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

i was wondering can we erm.... make a plugin for this? :P
or is it already in work somewhere?? *-)

any enlightenment on this? :)