Shoutbox

Punk is dead? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Punk is dead? (/showthread.php?tid=37918)

Punk is dead? by Purity on 02-04-2005 at 02:00 PM

So what do you guys think of punk? Do you think it's dead?  I think it's dead but there still is lot's of people that listen to is...Like me, I unno, i was just asking b/c I like the old classic punk...Crass, Black flag, subhumans....dead kennedy's I know half these bands nobody has heard of....

PS: When I say punk I don't mean that Simple Plan, good charlette, emo:dodgy:

RE: Punk is dead? by Pr0xY on 02-04-2005 at 04:05 PM

Some types/styles of Punk is dying in the northern part of the United States, but bands like Simple Plan/ Yellow Card/ exec... are still popular, and are growing...

RE: Punk is dead? by .blade// on 02-04-2005 at 04:46 PM

I don't call Simple Plan a punk band :dodgy: (I know they 'officially' are, but still :dodgy:)

RE: Punk is dead? by Menthix on 02-04-2005 at 05:30 PM

is punk dead?
is harcore dead?
is metal dead?
is gothic dead?
is electro dead?
is DnB dead?

The anwser to all is: No, it's just in what scene you are, places you visit and what you listen too. But all of the alternative music styles are still here, just not mainstream :).

RE: Punk is dead? by Pr0xY on 02-04-2005 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
is gothic dead?
Slowly it is, because the goths are starting to realize that all they are doing is wearing another uniform, not trying to be an individual like they thought they were.
RE: Punk is dead? by Twan on 02-04-2005 at 06:42 PM

blade.. do you call yellowcard punk ?? I have no idea of wat punk/runk/metal and sorts and kinds is.. I only know I really like yellowcard

and I agree with menthix :)

RE: Punk is dead? by .blade// on 02-04-2005 at 06:51 PM

I don't know what yellowcard  is bcz I've never heard it :P

I just stated that Simple Plan isn't punk because there songs AREN'T punk (I mean they're not punk AT ALL, it's not even close :dodgy:).

RE: Punk is dead? by Jhrono on 02-04-2005 at 06:51 PM

What about the forgotten Goldfinger?:P...or something corporate(those are slower) or Mest?those are like punk rock...so punk aint dead:P...

Goldfinger? 99 red balloons floating in a summer sky:P:P..

RE: Punk is dead? by Menthix on 02-04-2005 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY

Slowly it is, because the goths are starting to realize that all they are doing is wearing another uniform, not trying to be an individual like they thought they were.
People like that think probally think Evanesence is Gothic music too. Real Goths have been around since the 80's and it's still there. Always has been a small group and it will stay a small group, but it's not dead.

RE: Punk is dead? by gif83 on 02-04-2005 at 08:02 PM

punk isn't all about the music, it's about the attitude to life too

RE: Punk is dead? by Titty on 02-04-2005 at 08:47 PM

There are also too many sub-genres to determine that.

There are things like alternative, pop punk, post-hardcore, screamo, emo, indie, etc.  that derived from punk, rock, etc. So while those new genres are getting popular, they all came from rock, punk, etc.

http://www.purevolume.com/browse
Just look to the side where the genre is.  Theres many, many. 

RE: Punk is dead? by user27089 on 02-04-2005 at 08:49 PM

I don't think that anything is really dying, there will always be definite supporters of most genre's constantly, with the constantly growing 'sub-genres' they're still in that genre, you can't really categorise anything though tbh... :-/.

RE: Punk is dead? by Purity on 02-04-2005 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
What about the forgotten Goldfinger?:P...or something corporate(those are slower) or Mest?those are like punk rock...so punk aint dead:P...

Goldfinger? 99 red balloons floating in a summer sky:P:P..
I went to a goldfinger anad Sum41 concert
quote:
Originally posted by gif83
Most punks are ahtiest or stanic or something like that, but don't get me wrong, there is alot of christian punks...:P

.me hopes this doesn't turn into a  thread about labels
RE: RE: Punk is dead? by Titty on 02-04-2005 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
Most punks are ahtiest or stanic or something like that, but don't get me wrong, there is alot of christian punks...:P

.me hopes this doesn't turn into a  thread about labels

There is a genre called Christian Rock, lol.

RE: Punk is dead? by RaceProUK on 02-04-2005 at 10:15 PM

Ultimately, all these 'genres', like punk, ska, metal, trash... they're all just variations of a theme. Most alternative music can trace it's roots back to the rock 'n' roll of the 50s. Does Elvis sound like Metallica? Not even close. Are they related? Hell yeah!
There's probably a website with the history of all sorts of music types. Just can't be bothered to find it, s'all.

RE: Punk is dead? by M73A on 02-04-2005 at 10:17 PM

LMFAO christian rock ^o)......any bands in that genre that anyone has actually heard of?

RE: Punk is dead? by user27089 on 02-04-2005 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
LMFAO christian rock ^o)......any bands in that genre that anyone has actually heard of?

There are many bands that are full christian.

Most metal bands are... Iced Earth... Sonata Artica (or w/e lol)...

Most metal bands are from sweden... and in sweden they're like all chrisitans.
RE: Punk is dead? by Purity on 02-04-2005 at 10:18 PM

There is also a genre called christian punk...:dodgy:
There is like a diff genre for each band
Slipknot's genre is 'Neumatric punk metal':P

RE: Punk is dead? by user27089 on 02-04-2005 at 10:26 PM

I would've pictured punk as a type of Death Metal rather than neumatic punk to be honest...

RE: RE: Punk is dead? by Titty on 02-04-2005 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance

lol. 

Relient K, Underoath, mewithoutYou, Dead Poetic, Switchfoot, Thousand Foot Krutch, As I Lay Dying, Emery, Blindside, Further Seems Forever.

I only know this because there was this controversial thing about it.
There were agnostics who liked the music until they found out it was
Christian and disliked it afterwards.

RE: Punk is dead? by st0rm on 02-04-2005 at 11:21 PM

simple plan is NOT punk theyre just a bunch of whiney tossers who got the wrong attention from their dads.... and no punk isnt dead, well it  isnt really dead here, half the people i see are punk and the other half are like skanks so pick a side and take it

RE: Punk is dead? by Edna Mode on 02-05-2005 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by st0rm
simple plan is NOT punk theyre just a bunch of whiney tossers who got the wrong attention from their dads.... and no punk isnt dead, well it  isnt really dead here, half the people i see are punk and the other half are like skanks so pick a side and take it

i like simple plan :P,and i dont see that many punk people around anymore
RE: Punk is dead? by uberdosis on 02-07-2005 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY

People like that think probally think Evanesence is Gothic music too. Real Goths have been around since the 80's and it's still there. Always has been a small group and it will stay a small group, but it's not dead.
Agreed... Far from dead.
RE: RE: Punk is dead? by C3PO on 02-07-2005 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by st0rm

oh i agree with that! ive hated them evah since i first heard them whining about how there dad doesent noticed them or love them or some sissy crap! there later songs are similer just really terrible annoying lyrics that make no sense what so evah :| grr me hate simple plan! (n) punk's never been my sorta music style thingo im more into the alternative rock scene. punk seems all the same non taintless annoying lyrics and stupid tatoes covered on the band members  bodies :P but i must admit i was a fan of good charlotte in the begging :D and dude they have a lot of tattoes espically one of them :|
RE: Punk is dead? by Pipish on 02-08-2005 at 04:22 AM

I honestly do not think it is dead it just not as popular i thinks its bad anyone can scream thier lungs out into a microphone it takes no talent what so ever what makes a punk band a punk band is the drummer and guitarist they make it good:)