Shoutbox

Broadband Playing Up - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Broadband Playing Up (/showthread.php?tid=37966)

Broadband Playing Up by frankiedaman on 02-05-2005 at 05:16 PM

Hey, i wonder if anyone could help me out.

About 2 days ago I noticed a dramatic change in my speed with Broadband. I'm on a 1mbit connection and normally downloads would reach about 115kb/s max.

2 days ago I was experiencing real bad trouble - downloads were over half as slow as they should be. So after numerous system restores and spyware scans it worked for a bit - but the problem just came creeping back over time.

I may sound kinda fussy - but if i'm paying so much for this 1mb broadband I want to get "the full experience", rather than just expecting half of it.

Now the speed varies, it can bounce from 10kb/s to 110kb/s any time at all, on every site I go on.

How can I fix this?

Cheers (Y)

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Anubis on 02-05-2005 at 05:19 PM

A little more infomation would help, for example;

Are you using a NAT\Router? Have you got a direct connection to the internet? What were the results of the spyware\adware scans? Are you on an ADSL\DSL\T1 ect line?

This problem is suited to your ISP, if you contact them they may be able to tell you about this.

RE: Broadband Playing Up by frankiedaman on 02-05-2005 at 05:52 PM

I'm using a Router but the main PC is the one experiencing the problems. Spyware/Adware scans previously shown an unknown registry value that Ad-aware claimed was suspicious, and the odd few cookies. I'm behind a firewall however the settings the firewall currently uses at the moment have worked properly ever since I had it. I think i'm on ADSL (don't really know the difference between ADSL and DSL though)

If all else fails I will give my ISP tech support a call, it's AOL - so wish me luck =$

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Anubis on 02-05-2005 at 06:00 PM

Are you sure that the router isn't getting slow speeds? There may be some tool on it to monitor bandwidth...
Also if you have a spare ADSL modem (or you can borrow one) see if when you connect to the internet using that you get the same problem.

quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman
If all else fails I will give my ISP tech support a call, it's AOL - so wish me luck =$
AOL, dude you'll need good luck...
RE: Broadband Playing Up by matty on 02-05-2005 at 06:08 PM

Reset both the cable modem and the router. Pull out the power for both for 10 seconds and reconnect them. Run a speed test on your PC. www.toast.net

RE: Broadband Playing Up by frankiedaman on 02-05-2005 at 06:14 PM

Anubis - I happened to have a spare DSL modem laying around - I tried that but it still got slow speeds - which means it isn't anything to do with my router specifically

Matty, My router has a built in modem so all i need to do is unplug the router. Thx for the advice, i'll try it out now.

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Anubis on 02-05-2005 at 06:20 PM

quote:

Matty, My router has a built in modem so all i need to do is unplug the router. Thx for the advice, i'll try it out now.

By reset, I think Matty meant to use the reset button or reset method. Most routers have them (but some wired ones may not). Usually all routers have a way to reset, but unplugging them just cuts the power yet saves settings.
I can't see how that could fix it now that the problem has nothing to do with the router and the modem.
The problem is either the line or the computer and because the system restore cleared it up by bet is it's the computer. It may be a good idea to erase all connections (both for the internet using the modem and the connection to the router) and then put them back on after a restart.
RE: Broadband Playing Up by kao on 02-05-2005 at 06:30 PM

my router does that sometimes and internet slows to a crawl, usually just rebooting the router (turning it off and on with switch at the back) works fine

RE: Broadband Playing Up by matty on 02-05-2005 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
my router does that sometimes and internet slows to a crawl, usually just rebooting the router (turning it off and on with switch at the back) works fine
is what i ment
RE: Broadband Playing Up by SikStyles on 02-05-2005 at 07:59 PM

what else u can do is turn off the computer and the router for like 2 mins and then restart everything and see if that works, and if it doesnt conctact the broadband company

RE: Broadband Playing Up by frankiedaman on 02-05-2005 at 08:11 PM

i tried resetting the router but i'm still having problems.

i have realised though that my download speed constantly goes up and down - e.g one minute it's 110kb/s next it's 20kb/s

i'm thinking it could be a problem with my phone line.

RE: Broadband Playing Up by kao on 02-05-2005 at 08:48 PM

tried turning it off then on from the switch, then going to the router's config (http://192.168.1.1/ or whatever your LAN ip is usually) and then resetting it with current settings aswell? if not then try resetting it with factory settings and see if that helps.

also, what make/model is the router?

RE: Broadband Playing Up by frankiedaman on 02-05-2005 at 08:57 PM

My router is a Netgear DG834G 802.11g wireless router. I tried restarting it with current settings - guess my only option left is to take it back to factory settings.

If that still doesn't help, then i'll phone AOL tomorrow and explain that i need help, boy that's gonna be hard work =\

Thanks everyone for your help! :-)

Update: Just tried restoring - it has helped a bit, but something dodgy is still going on, im definetly presuming it's my phone line so i'll give AOL/BT a call tomorrow and get them to do a line test. Thanks again to everyone for all your advice! :)

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Pyroteq on 02-07-2005 at 09:01 AM

If you have broadband its not your phoneline..

Do you have a download limit where your speed gets capped to somthing lower till your next billing cycle?

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Birdo on 02-07-2005 at 09:06 AM

there is a possibilty that your ISP has capped ur downstream cause of accessive use

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Chestah on 02-07-2005 at 09:20 AM

we are 7 days into the month :P have you been doing that excessive downloading?

RE: Broadband Playing Up by kao on 02-07-2005 at 09:46 AM

or check the filter things going from the dsl modem into the phone line, mine have been messed up in the past and made my internet slow down/freeze/disconnect, try other ones if you have spares, but phone tech support before buying more.

quote:
Originally posted by Birdo
there is a possibilty that your ISP has capped ur downstream cause of accessive use
afaik AOL broadband has no bandwidth caps.
RE: Broadband Playing Up by Hank on 02-07-2005 at 10:04 AM

remember where or what sites you download from maybe slow an or have a lot of traffic on them, where as when i use Linux an download from a Mirror, i'll get  apiss poor download speed, due to the fact that Mirror is being hit hard, if i change mirrors i get a faster speed of up to 150kbps , same happens in windows ,, depending on the Mirrored sitee your downloading from it can vary

RE: Broadband Playing Up by Chris.1 on 02-07-2005 at 03:13 PM

quote:
I'm using a Router but the main PC is the one experiencing the problems.

You say it is your main PC experiencing problems - do the other computers on your network get full speed?

Also, you mentioned you have wireless internet - do you have security enabled and are you sure no-one else is stealing your connection.

RE: Broadband Playing Up by saralk on 02-07-2005 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
If you have broadband its not your phoneline..

Do you have a download limit where your speed gets capped to somthing lower till your next billing cycle?

Broadband through ADSL goes through your phoneline, so you are WRONG