Shoutbox

Major problem with internet explorer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Major problem with internet explorer (/showthread.php?tid=38045)

Major problem with internet explorer by vincerooney on 02-07-2005 at 08:02 PM

Whenever my friend opens up her internet explorer it instantly closes down, she can't even open it up.

Could this be a virus? If so any cures...

or any ways to fix the error?

thanks in advance

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by Kryptonate on 02-07-2005 at 08:05 PM

Did she already scanned with an anti-virus, spybot search&destroy and ad-aware? Have you found anything on Google about this?

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by user27089 on 02-07-2005 at 08:24 PM

there is a virus that blocks certain websites that may instruct on how to delete the virus itself... scan with an antivirus...

or

you can right click internet explorer and go to properties, check the homepage... and go to C:/ > Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc open 'hosts' with notepad, and see if the url is there, if so, delete the line that its on, and try again...

thats only if it is a certain virus though afaik, it was happening with me... the problem is, if it is that virus, and it is removed, the 'hosts' file isn't replaced or anything...

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by vincerooney on 02-07-2005 at 08:43 PM

Thanks guys i'll take the advice on board and pass it to her. Mozilla firefox works fine just internet explorer.

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by user27089 on 02-07-2005 at 08:47 PM

try and download MSIE from the Microsoft website or something... that may help.

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by mad_onion on 02-07-2005 at 09:25 PM

you know as soon as i saw thsi thread entitled "malor problem with internet explorer" i thought OH NO how long is it going to be before someone says firefox. the thread maker already metioned that firefox isnt affected so it is clear he already knows of its existence. so if you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all
i recommend trying a virus scan at the trend micro site and download microsoft anti spyware and use that because it is very affective.

RE: Major problem with internet explorer by The_Thief on 02-14-2005 at 03:18 AM

You may want to try to uninstall IE directly from the add and remove programs in the control panel reboot then reinstall it that should fix your probelm