Shoutbox

PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters (/showthread.php?tid=38099)

PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Purity on 02-08-2005 at 10:31 PM

PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters

By Wolfgang Gruener, Senior Editor

November 10, 2004 - 16:38 EST

Los Angeles (CA) - A Florida firm claims to have found a solution for the movie industry to prevent bootlegging in theaters. Trakstar demonstrated its Pirate Eye technology, which uses light impulses to detect video recording devices and TVS, a sophisticated audio watermarking system.

In Howard Gladstone's view, the end of in-theater piracy is just a matter of time. Gladstone, president of Trakstar, demonstrated a rather creepy sounding technology apology this week in Hollywood in front of an audience mixed of movie industry representatives and journalists. His "PirateEye" monitoring system is able to reliably detect recording devices which can be used for bootlegging. This includes video cameras but also cell phones with video recording capabilities.

"PirateEye scans a complete theater room three times during a presentation," he said. The device is remote controlled and uses light impulses to find recording devices, including pinhole camcorders. According to Gladstone, the audience does not notice the scanning progress. "The impulses are only 20 ms in length. Neurons in the brain need about 40 ms to recognize the light source. And the head normally will turn after 200 ms."

A second part to Trakstar's anti-piracy solution is TVS which implements watermarks in audio signals. These watermarks are recorded in bootlegs and easily can be retrieved again, when pirated content is offered for download on the Internet or file-sharing services. "We are able to extract the data even after multiple analog re-conversions and copies. This allows us to determine where and at which time the copy originally was created."

Expectedly, there is "great interest" for the technology from the movie industry, according to Gladstone. Currently, several large firms evaluate his proposals, he said.

However, there was no decision yet, if and which technology could be used. So far, a reasonable business model has not been determined and there is no agreement on who should pick up the cost of the technology implementation. Gladstone however believes that his system would be ready for installation by mid of 2005, if the movie industry chooses to use his technology.

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Pr0xY on 02-08-2005 at 11:25 PM

Ohwell, I love in a small town in Wisconsin, usa.  I doubt they'll get anything like that in our small movie theater. 

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by paperless on 02-08-2005 at 11:27 PM

The pirates will find other ways to bypass that.. its always like that...

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by wj on 02-08-2005 at 11:37 PM

It would be hard to defend aginst it. Though there are ways, It would be invonvient to say the least.

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by L. Coyote on 02-08-2005 at 11:57 PM

:'( NOOOOO!!!!

Uh.... :| I mean, yes! Down pirates, down pirates! (A)

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by f1d0d1d08989 on 02-09-2005 at 12:16 AM

No way...

Its a waste of money since people will try to get ways to get pass it, so, why waste it?
Guilty of taking videos in a theater...:grin:

I doubt the theathers in Singapore will get it though...

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Patchou on 02-09-2005 at 12:52 AM

Lol... I just wonder how fun can it be to watch the latest Star Wars in his room, on a 17" screen, with stereo sound. Maybe some of the people who pirate movies should realise that going tothe theatre can actually be very enjoyable (buying the DVD too ;)).

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Concord Dawn on 02-09-2005 at 01:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Lol... I just wonder how fun can it be to watch the latest Star Wars in his room, on a 17" screen, with stereo sound. Maybe some of the people who pirate movies should realise that going tothe theatre can actually be very enjoyable (buying the DVD too ;)).

But that costs money that some people aren't willing to spend.
RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by L. Coyote on 02-09-2005 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Instead we pay extra for ADSL connection! :D
RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by ~INVASION~ on 02-09-2005 at 01:30 AM

camera,Batteries for camera, long length recording minidv/tape, posiblity of being caught, constantly watchin your back instead of the movie, popcorn :refuck:, heafty fine if caught equals to about == NOT FUCKING WORTH IT!!

enjoy a nice movie with no fear of being caught, camera confiscated, heafty fine, and then possibly buy the movie when it comes out in clear perfect picture with extras bonus material free gifts with movie possibly and knowledge that you support the movie that you enjoy so much equals out to about==!!PRICELESS!!

o and i dont download movies 8-) (a)

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by haydos on 02-09-2005 at 07:33 AM

hrmmm says implimented maybe in mid 2005... thats just after i go 2 bali... will have 2 stock up

oh... did i say that out loud? :P(a)

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by _Humphreys on 02-09-2005 at 07:47 AM

People take cams into cinemas all the time here and the staff lets them. :|

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by aNILEator on 02-09-2005 at 08:34 AM

what about DVD screeners you will still be able to download them + better tahn CAM quality (A)

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by user27089 on 02-09-2005 at 08:45 AM

Sounds pretty cool to me that they're actually trying to prevent it... most pirate dvd's are crappy anyway :-/.

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by ayjay on 02-09-2005 at 09:43 PM

I know it sounds stupid but I've never had a pirate video or dvd.

I have limited downloads each month and my "dad's mate's mate" doesn't exist to get pirate dvds :P

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by M73A on 02-09-2005 at 09:56 PM

i agree witht he fact sum dodgy movies are just crap. but some really are ok to watch....not that id know 8-), this is whats ive heard obviously...

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Purity on 02-09-2005 at 09:57 PM

I have lots of pirated DVD's, but only about 5 are bootleg....

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Patchou on 02-09-2005 at 11:23 PM

quote:
No being to (or wanting to) buy something has never justified stealing it. Don't want to pay for movies? watch TV :refuck:
RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by wj on 02-09-2005 at 11:32 PM

With the same logic....

Dont want to pay for a TV? Read a book
Dont want to pay for a book? By a prostitue
Dont want to pay for a prostitute? Burn something down
Dont want to pay for bail after burning something down? Go pay for a movie!

RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by ~INVASION~ on 02-09-2005 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
With the same logic....

i want to pay for a prostitute JK but here in regina saskatchewan there all ugly ass hahahaha :refuck:
RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by f1d0d1d08989 on 02-10-2005 at 01:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~

camera,Batteries for camera, long length recording minidv/tape, posiblity of being caught, constantly watchin your back instead of the movie, popcorn , heafty fine if caught equals to about == NOT FUCKING WORTH IT!!

enjoy a nice movie with no fear of being caught, camera confiscated, heafty fine, and then possibly buy the movie when it comes out in clear perfect picture with extras bonus material free gifts with movie possibly and knowledge that you support the movie that you enjoy so much equals out to about==!!PRICELESS!!

o and i dont download movies

Well, if you go to an cinemar with not many people, which many exists here, you can take very very clear pictures, and you wont get caught. Those stuff dont give a hoot about what we are doing inside...Sometimes, even the staff also take pictures...I wonder why are they employed...*-)

But, I think that enjoying movies in a cinemar is betta than looking at it in my own screen at home...And, I think that my cousin has a way to bypass the detector after I showed him this article...:grin:
RE: PirateEye detects concealed video cams in movie theaters by Concord Dawn on 02-10-2005 at 01:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
No being to (or wanting to) buy something has never justified stealing it. Don't want to pay for movies? watch TV :refuck:

I never said it did, I'm just saying that that's the reason people do that. I still don't understand what drugs they're taking. I just rent the DVDs when they come out and copy them......errrrr.......yeah....... :P

quote:
Originally posted by wj
With the same logic....

wtf???