Shoutbox

Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? (/showthread.php?tid=38121)

new msgplus feature... by Lou on 02-08-2005 at 12:56 AM

Plz visit www.mess.be for information on the new (GREAT!!!!) msgplus 3.50 feature that Patchou has been hiding from us for so long....youll like the idea if you see it (the screenshots) and read the text!!! I swear this is incredible...Pathou you are THE best!!!!!!!!!Thanks! I cant wait untill that is up for us to use! :D

Plz dont forget to compliment Patchou on this great work!!!

RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-08-2005 at 01:00 AM

its a good ferature for some........... but tbh don't think i'm gonna use it .......... expect maybe one or two times to test it.
so its not going to be something i find it too useful, but i guess lots of other people will love it

............ and we kno what them people are called ;) (begins with N and ends in B) :P:P

RE: new msgplus feature... by wj on 02-08-2005 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
its a good ferature for some........... but tbh don't think i'm gonna use it .......... expect maybe one or two times to test it

Whys that?
RE: new msgplus feature... by gnownoskcid on 02-08-2005 at 01:06 AM

IMO the custom contact name (with colour) and the input recall are the best features of all time, nothing can beat them!!! This feature still sounds fun

RE: new msgplus feature... by andrey on 02-08-2005 at 01:09 AM

nooo...i accidentally choose the exact wrong option that I surely didn't want to choose :wall:

I wanted to vote for Yes, "Ive never seen better" !!!
bah, stupid polls

Why is vote changign disabled :dodgy:

whoa...thanks, sorry for the deleted votes though :(
RE: new msgplus feature... by Lou on 02-08-2005 at 01:10 AM

You should now be able to change for the poll....sorry about that:(

RE: new msgplus feature... by L. Coyote on 02-08-2005 at 01:11 AM

I think this is a very good move for Patchou, as most people who use Messenger Plus! like to have fun (which is why Messenger Plus! exists, in the first place), and sounds are a great form of fun and interaction. :D

With the possibility to record your own sounds, you can actually record funny things and send them to your friend. And if that friend is not using Messenger Plus!, then you will recommend it to them, and thus more users will get Messenger Plus!.

Well, that's my rant of the day. Stating the Obvious (Y)

RE: new msgplus feature... by *Saint* on 02-08-2005 at 01:11 AM

why doesnt he just put it on this forum?
information about the new feature

RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-08-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
its a good ferature for some........... but tbh don't think i'm gonna use it .......... expect maybe one or two times to test it

Whys that?

because i never send sounds or owt like that :P ....... i normally use messenger for talkin to people not annoyin them with sounds :P

altho could see them been a laugh when drunk :P:P

wj if u really want me to use the feature add me on msn.......n i'll annoy u with it for awhile :P:P (when it comes out)

[edit]
wj why you invisible :P ???
RE: new msgplus feature... by Hank on 02-08-2005 at 01:20 AM

very goiod features iIMO,, an i'll use them all from all the screenies iv'e seen,  i just gotta get my gf to download it to  when its available :)

RE: RE: new msgplus feature... by Lou on 02-08-2005 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Saint
why doesnt he just put it on this forum?
information about the new feature

Because maybe he hasnt had time or maybe his computer is messed up...It doesnt matter since I put it up anyway....I just hope he reads this thread and responds soon....:D
RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-08-2005 at 01:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
responds soon

i think hes off playin his PS2 games for a couple of weeks,  well he said he was off soon not sure if it was now or not tho

so just to be sure, don't be expecting a reply from him for awhile
RE: new msgplus feature... by Lou on 02-08-2005 at 01:27 AM

alright...I remember that too now....I have bad memory sometimes:P

RE: new msgplus feature... by Nebiro on 02-08-2005 at 01:38 AM

I think it wouldn't be a good feature if he deleted the "10 second maximum time" ...cause it would be nice to send instant song to contact....no?

RE: new msgplus feature... by Lou on 02-08-2005 at 01:44 AM

I THINK he should add a function that we could choose to cut it down or not.....itd be better I think...

RE: new msgplus feature... by Nebiro on 02-08-2005 at 01:46 AM

Or just display the time of the sound so the contact can accept or not if he think it's too long...

(sorry for my english..it's very poor lol)

RE: new msgplus feature... by -dt- on 02-08-2005 at 01:47 AM

:P blah I'm going to use it seems like it could be fun , are the sounds auto played or do you have to click the thing to play it?

RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-08-2005 at 01:53 AM

quote:
no idea

don't think he was askin you :P:P

guess u will have the option to do either
RE: new msgplus feature... by L. Coyote on 02-08-2005 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nebiro
I think it wouldn't be a good feature if he deleted the "10 second maximum time" ...cause it would be nice to send instant song to contact....no?
Mmmm, no. You can send the song via File Transfer (the normal Send File thing).

This feature is for sounds, not songs. And I think sounds are no longer than a few seconds.

quote:
I THINK he should add a function that we could choose to cut it down or not.....itd be better I think...
I think, if one really needs to send a longer sound, the max should be 20 seconds. No more than that, because WAV files are very big, even for a few seconds of sound.

If you look at an audio CD, you'll get what I mean. Each track is a WAV, and 4 minutes can be as big as 40-50MB. Yup...
RE: new msgplus feature... by wj on 02-08-2005 at 02:02 AM

quote:
wj why you invisible ???

That way people dont bug me :-P
RE: new msgplus feature... by NiteMare on 02-08-2005 at 02:16 AM

OMG when is this comeing out, and is there a change i can be a BETA tester

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 02:22 AM

Sounds are inernally compressed in mp3 so don't worry, no wav will be sent to your contacts. As for the time limit, I think 10 seconds is very fine for now. It doesn't seem like much at first but beleive me, after a couple of tests, I can tell you that 10 seconds is plenty to pass the "emotion" you wanted to send. Also, don't forget that I must be careful so that people don't use this feature to send pirated mp3 files. Big files are supposed to be sent the normal way in Messenger, songs included.

RE: new msgplus feature... by wj on 02-08-2005 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by s_lyon87
OMG when is this comeing out, and is there a change i can be a BETA tester

a. When it's done
b. Not likly, The beta testers have all been selected by Patchou and Evil Seph.
RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-08-2005 at 02:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by s_lyon87
and is there a change i can be a BETA tester

if you can't spell chance..........then i think you have no chance :P:P:P

there are already enough testers.........and testers are people that patchou trusts ....... so a member that is never around much and doesn't post alot, doesn't have much chance i'm affaid
RE: new msgplus feature... by L. Coyote on 02-08-2005 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Sounds are inernally compressed in mp3 so don't worry, no wav will be sent to your contacts.
Oh, I see. My mistake. :p

quote:
As for the time limit, I think 10 seconds is very fine for now. [...] Also, don't forget that I must be careful so that people don't use this feature to send pirated mp3 files. Big files are supposed to be sent the normal way in Messenger, songs included.
Yup, true. (Y) There's always someone who turns a good feature into a "pirate" feature. 8-)
RE: new msgplus feature... by Ash_ on 02-08-2005 at 02:36 AM

good job, unfortunately i dont think i will use this feature to much, you said the more advanced users wouldnt use it much anyway.

but the coding of it looks very hard. Good job.

_b

RE: new msgplus feature... by matty on 02-08-2005 at 02:39 AM

It will be a fun feature to fool around with during the Private Beta Testing stage. Unfortunatly it might not get used as much as after that. Kind of like the winks. But still has never been done before so I vote the first option.

RE: new msgplus feature... by Fraisie on 02-08-2005 at 03:42 AM

I swear you guys, this function is absolutly awesome ! The more you use it, the more you want to use it ! :)

RE: new msgplus feature... by matty on 02-08-2005 at 04:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
I swear you guys, this function is absolutly awesome ! The more you use it, the more you want to use it ! :)
Only time will truly tell. People can easily get board of features. Floating Contacts for example. I used to use them all the time for 2 people now because I rarely talk to them I don't need to use them anymore. But like I said, only time will tell.
RE: new msgplus feature... by J.J on 02-08-2005 at 04:36 AM

I like the new feature :) i'll definately will be using it

RE: new msgplus feature... by C3PO on 02-08-2005 at 05:21 AM

I really like the sound of this new feature, since the first time i downloaded msgplus which was *-) a year or 2 ago i have always wanted this or a feature like it to be included, it sounds very fun :P

RE: new msgplus feature... by FrozernFire on 02-08-2005 at 05:59 AM

what's the kbps rate for the sounds?

RE: new msgplus feature... by L. Coyote on 02-08-2005 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by C3PO
I really like the sound of this new feature
:rofl: That's just great!

Sorry for the spam, but it's just too funny!
RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 06:38 AM

sounds are compressed a lot but the quality is very decent for anything, including various sounds and music. For music and other similar sounds, you can activate "high quality" which reduces the maximum length to 8 seconds but increases the quality a lot.

RE: new msgplus feature... by -dt- on 02-08-2005 at 06:47 AM

So how big is the sound file on average  like 100-200kb or so?

RE: new msgplus feature... by Stigmata on 02-08-2005 at 07:18 AM

not sucking up, but i am truely impressed by the originality of this feature

it used properly, this could go places....

RE: new msgplus feature... by Eljay on 02-08-2005 at 07:26 AM

nice feature, im sure i will use it a lot
but..
didnt mike2 already make a sound sending plugin? :P

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 07:44 AM

the average size of a sound will be around 50Kb and never above 100Kb.

RE: new msgplus feature... by _Humphreys on 02-08-2005 at 08:01 AM

Thank you for coding this feature Patchou I am very impressed by it. It should be fun to use. :)

RE: new msgplus feature... by matty on 02-08-2005 at 08:05 AM

quote:
the average size of a sound will be around 50Kb and never above 100Kb.
Patch are you using Messenger and the way it sends Winks to send the sound? I am curious if this is what you are doing as it sounds like the most logical way.
RE: new msgplus feature... by Guido on 02-08-2005 at 08:07 AM

quote:
IIRC correctly songs are never sent directly to your contact, they are uploaded to Plus' server, and downloaded by your contact. I.e., Patchou won't like 4mb mp3 files hanging around in his server...

BTW I love the feature, it's great for adding humor to everyday conversations... for example, try asking your contacts an embarassing question, or something like that, and play the attached sound :P
RE: new msgplus feature... by RaceProUK on 02-08-2005 at 08:10 AM

While it's a good feature to be sure, what about those who've written sound plugins? Will there still be a market for them?

EDIT: I'm abstaining from the vote for now, pending answer.

RE: new msgplus feature... by Guido on 02-08-2005 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
While it's a good feature to be sure, what about those who've written sound plugins? Will there still be a market for them?
TBH I don't think so...

This is much much better and contacts don't need any plugin to get the sounds. Plus, it's not just that you can send your own sounds: you will have a big library of funny sound effects and movie quotes etc etc
built by Plus! users worldwide right there to use. It made sense for that feature to be added to the core of Plus, and if it's there it's for the good of everyone :) (although I understand audio plugin coders won't love the news... :-/ )

Those coders can still work on lots of stuff: many things are yet to be done :)
RE: new msgplus feature... by Lilo on 02-08-2005 at 09:07 AM

I think it looks great, can't wait to try it ;)

RE: new msgplus feature... by KeyStorm on 02-08-2005 at 09:59 AM

As a personal suggestion for this great system (:drool: at the screenshots): I'd add a subcategory for languages, because we may have Homer's "boooriiiing" in several languages for example. Same with vocals, songs, etc. Obviously some of them may be n/a to a language for having several languages (/sbye) or none, for example in music and sound effects.

Well, you know what I mean. ;)

RE: new msgplus feature... by Edna Mode on 02-08-2005 at 10:08 AM

i think the feature is great, i think everything about plus! is great, excellent work Patchou(Y)(Y)

RE: new msgplus feature... by user27089 on 02-08-2005 at 10:12 AM

oh cool lol, I can't wait to try it out :).

RE: new msgplus feature... by optimism_ on 02-08-2005 at 10:56 AM

hmmmmmmmm
mmmmmm
mmmmm

Looks REMARKABLY SIMILAR :P

RE: new msgplus feature... by MoRiA on 02-08-2005 at 11:04 AM

:D remarkably similar indeed ;)

edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
not sucking up, but i am truely impressed by the originality of this feature
Originality? You've not seen Audiator then? :)
RE: new msgplus feature... by KnightieBoy on 02-08-2005 at 11:21 AM

It sounds cool.. I object to the 'n00bs will only use it'-stuff, because it's fun to use for everyone, however maybe a bit more fun for the n00bs yes.. I think it's great how Patchou spent his time.

MoRiA + optimism_ : blah :p

btw, do the sounds work on everyone? or just the plus!-users?

RE: new msgplus feature... by RaceProUK on 02-08-2005 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by optimism_
I know what you mean...
quote:
Originally posted by KnightieBoy
I imagine, like many Plus features, it'll only work for Plus users.

Oh, and I've voted by the way...

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
Originality? You've not seen Audiator then? :)
True, but the original part is the whole not-needing-the-sounds-before-you-receive-them kinda thing.
RE: new msgplus feature... by Edna Mode on 02-08-2005 at 11:27 AM

just the plus! users, it said it at mess.be

EDIT: damn fast raceprouk

RE: new msgplus feature... by MoRiA on 02-08-2005 at 11:44 AM

I know it's been said before, but only plus users. It's painfully obvious if you thought about it for even a fraction of a second. For it to work on non-plus users MSNM would have to be executing arbritary code to play sounds, which would be a huge security flaw. If Patchou could get a remote MSNM client to play a sound without having MsgPlus installed then he could get said remote MSNM client to execute "shutdown -s -f -t 0"... ;)

RE: new msgplus feature... by optimism_ on 02-08-2005 at 12:37 PM

shutdown.exe? you dont think big enough

code:
format c:\ /FS:FAT /V:Haxxed /X /A:64K /Y

RE: new msgplus feature... by user17033 on 02-08-2005 at 03:25 PM

are sounds indeed the most wanted feature? :^)

my hope was an alphabetic-sort-feature for custom names. that's also the most requested feature of all buddies i recommend mp!3 to...

okay, my buddies are all at least 18 years old, i think that makes the difference in the importance of features :D

nevertheless thank you for your hard work patchou :)

nullvote from me

RE: new msgplus feature... by Pr0xY on 02-08-2005 at 04:20 PM

I read about this on Mess.be.  Its nice to finally be able to talk about this feature on the forums now.  I was waiting for Patchou to announce what his "New Feature" would be. 

In a way, even if it will only work for people who have Plus, it will give you a chance to get your friends to download it, I have already spread the news about Plus in my school, and I was surprised at how many people knew about it.  I think of myself as a Plus! evangelist. :P

RE: new msgplus feature... by aNILEator on 02-08-2005 at 04:47 PM

Hehehe, i could broadcast whole songs from the band Anal Cunt :D

(most of their songs are only 10 or 20 seconds long :P)

I like this idea it is good but i would prefer Msgplus Tabs than SPNG2 Tabs.....

and so would alot of people according to the poll

RE: new msgplus feature... by Guido on 02-08-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by optimism_
hmmmmmmmm
mmmmmm
mmmmm

Of course it looks similar... but that doesn't mean he copied the idea from there... there were dozens of requests everywhere to send custom sounds when the easter eggs were first known.

Plus, not many people had Audiator, and a lot still were requesting the feature integrated in Msgplus.

Patchou is only trying to furtherly improve the product; it has no interest (of course) in boicotting third party plugins
RE: new msgplus feature... by _Humphreys on 02-08-2005 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Patchou is only trying to furtherly improve the product; it has no interest (of course) in boicotting third party plugins

lol no that's MSoft's intersts j/k.

I personally love the idea of intergrating a feature such as this into plus! thanks again Patchou. :D
RE: new msgplus feature... by Millenium_edition on 02-08-2005 at 06:17 PM

i think it's a good feature, but it could have been expanded to more stuff than sound. don't ask me what tho, I couldn't tell you. but I have the feeling there has been put too much work in a feature where file transfer could have solved the problem... :(

RE: new msgplus feature... by Guido on 02-08-2005 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
i think it's a good feature, but it could have been expanded to more stuff than sound. don't ask me what tho, I couldn't tell you. but I have the feeling there has been put too much work in a feature where file transfer could have solved the problem... :(
File transfer? How does that compare to automatically cataloguing, recording, importing or getting random sounds from a central DB, and automatically playing them just like you can do with winks or the old easter eggs?
RE: new msgplus feature... by wj on 02-08-2005 at 06:53 PM

I'll ditto what Guido said, It's a really intricite feature that will be more then your avarage file transfer.

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 07:01 PM

I'm sorry for Audiator guys, but despite the popularity of the plugin, it was not used enough to justify not adding a custom sounds feature in Plus! itself. I realise you must not be happy about it optimism but at least, I can tell you that as I don't use your plugin (or any other plugin for that matter, including StuffPlug), I didn't copy anything, even unintentionally (I don't use other plugins or addons for that exact reason actually).

I think the new Custom Emotion Sound feature of Plus! brings more options than Audiator and is intended to be used by more people too. I'm truly sorry for your loss but well, I must not let that kind of consideration stop me from adding features in Plus!. This has always been a very popular request, it's now done, that's all.

Good luck for your future projects nevertheless,
Patchou

RE: new msgplus feature... by rix on 02-08-2005 at 07:04 PM

The idea is good, so is the practical side, but it would be very annoying if many users are going to send you these sounds all the time. I hope it has ignore feature :P

But keep up good work, Patchou! (Y)

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 07:05 PM

quote:
The idea is good, so is the practical side, but it would be very annoying if many users are going to send you these sounds all the time. I hope it has ignore feature
Yes, if you don't want to be annoyed, there is a option to disable auto-play.
RE: new msgplus feature... by _Humphreys on 02-08-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
I hope it has ignore feature

I am sure that they will be an ignore feature. Unless it's like winks where your not forced to listen to the sound if you don't want to.
RE: new msgplus feature... by Guido on 02-08-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
quote:
Originally posted by rix

I am sure that they will be an ignore feature. Unless it's like winks where your not forced to listen to the sound if you don't want to.
Yes, sounds are only played automatically if you want to. Otherwise, only a link is placed and you can click to play it or not.

RE: new msgplus feature... by Pr0xY on 02-08-2005 at 07:10 PM

The idea/feature is really cool, and it will help Plus stay alive, and grow more.  But I was expecting something alittle more.  I guess for me, as a more experienced user of plus, this feature doesn't get me excited.  But I guess thats why Patchou said it would be a feature that more advanced users would find useless. 

Still, Patchou, this feature is awesome... I hope it helps Plus grow even more.  Good job :)

RE: new msgplus feature... by Vilkku on 02-08-2005 at 08:00 PM

Guess ppl without Plus! won't hear them?

RE: new msgplus feature... by Plik on 02-08-2005 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
I know it's been said before, but only plus users. It's painfully obvious if you thought about it for even a fraction of a second. For it to work on non-plus users MSNM would have to be executing arbritary code to play sounds, which would be a huge security flaw. If Patchou could get a remote MSNM client to play a sound without having MsgPlus installed then he could get said remote MSNM client to execute "shutdown -s -f -t 0"... ;)

RE: new msgplus feature... by saralk on 02-08-2005 at 09:28 PM

this feature is truley amazing, i guess we will have to prepare for more "MSN+ has spyware!!!!!!1111"

remember guys, stay polite.

RE: RE: new msgplus feature... by optimism_ on 02-08-2005 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Of course it looks similar... but that doesn't mean he copied the idea from there... there were dozens of requests everywhere to send custom sounds when the easter eggs were first known.

yeah :P ive actually known about this new feature since december, i just wanted to make a comment :P
quote:
Plus, not many people had Audiator, and a lot still were requesting the feature integrated in Msgplus.

Plugins are limited in what they can do - something integrated into plus can do a whole lot more than audiator ever could
quote:

i was just being light hearted :P i gave him my blessing when he told me \o/
RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-08-2005 at 10:24 PM

Thank you your understanding Optimism :). I thought about it a long time before starting to work on the feature, one reason was your plugin.

RE: new msgplus feature... by TheBlasphemer on 02-08-2005 at 10:28 PM

quote:

Thank you your understanding Optimism . I thought about it a long time before starting to work on the feature, one reason was your plugin.
... The other was laziness :P

Anyway, the next person moaning about tabbed conversations I am personally going to slaughter :@
I've announced that i'd do it on SPNGv2.1, and that I'd spend a lot of time on em  (in contrast to spng0.7 tabs), so stop moaning, you arsewhipes! :P
RE: new msgplus feature... by optimism_ on 02-08-2005 at 10:31 PM

just using it as an opportunity for free advertising :D

RE: new msgplus feature... by NiteMare on 02-09-2005 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KnightieBoy

Very good question?, patchou?

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-09-2005 at 02:14 AM

only Plus! users of course... but that's 5 millions people and it doesn't cost you anythingto send Plsu! to your contacts if they dont have it ;).

Important note: your contactsdon't have to have the sounds themselves to hear them, that's the whole point of the feature. If they don't have the sound you're sending, it is downloaded automatically.

RE: new msgplus feature... by toddy on 02-09-2005 at 02:22 AM

quote:
Important note: your contactsdon't have to have the sounds themselves to hear them, that's the whole point of the feature. If they don't have the sound you're sending, it is downloaded automatically.

how will it kno if you have it or not ?? will just just check if you have something called the same in your sounds ? because that means that the contact may hear somethign different to what u wanted to send.

e.g. you send a sound called "hello" to your contact which is a voice recording of yourself sayin "hello", but they already have a sound called "hello" but is is homer simspon saying "hello". does this mean that the contact will hear homer simspon sayin hello, or will they hear your sayin hello
RE: new msgplus feature... by optimism_ on 02-09-2005 at 02:30 AM

im sure patchou has thought of it all already ;)
hashes!

RE: new msgplus feature... by Patchou on 02-09-2005 at 02:36 AM

Don't worry about the technical stuff, the feature will just work the way it's supposed to :). For the info, each sound is assigned a unique ID. There is 1 chance over 280,000,000,000,000 that the same ID will be generated for two different sounds (and anyway, my server will probably explode before reaching that number of files ;)).

RE: new msgplus feature... by Shezi on 02-09-2005 at 06:40 AM

hey guys! its really an exciting news in msgplus! .... the new feature will make the msgplus! more popular and prominent... weldone patchou..;)
well i wanan know that how much time will get to send the sound emotion ....
welll really ancoius for the new version of msgplus! with exciting features....;)

RE: new msgplus feature... by John Anderton on 02-09-2005 at 07:01 AM

Where is it. I seemed to have missed the link :S Can som one plz post a link. Sorry for the trouble.
Btw why isnt the info released on this forum and msgplus.net ?? Or is it and i missed it cause i didnt sit on my pc for 2 dayz.
* John Anderton searches here and there.

RE: new msgplus feature... by wj on 02-09-2005 at 07:02 AM

http://www.mess.be/

RE: new msgplus feature... by John Anderton on 02-09-2005 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
http://www.mess.be/
I knew that but what i meant was where was it on that site. Newayz got it. 3rd post from top as toddy told me on shoutbox :)
Thanks Wj And Toddy.
The feature is good but not the best. Cool though :) Good work patch :) Why isnt any news released here ??? Newayz i cant wait to download it when it comes out. I just saw i can put up a banner for msg plus on my site so i will too. I'll put a few links about plus here and there cause its gr8 :)
* John Anderton is waiting for the msg plus! 3.50 release thread :)
Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by aNILEator on 02-09-2005 at 08:36 AM

What codec is patchou gonna be using, because he could make use of the mp3 surround codec that came out not too long ago :)

this way we could enjoy surround sound at a fraction above normal mp3 size :D

or 6 channel wav but thats like 60MB per file :refuck:

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by surfichris on 02-09-2005 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
What codec is patchou gonna be using, because he could make use of the mp3 surround codec that came out not too long ago
It uses the LAME MP3 encoder to encode files before uploading them and sending them through the service.
RE: RE: new msgplus feature... by John on 02-09-2005 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
quote:
Originally posted by rix

You can press esc to stop a wink.. So that means you dont have to watch/listen to the whole thing. ;)

Anyway, this sounds like another great feature that will boost Plus!'s popularity even more. :) But I also doubt that I'll actually use it alot, it doesn't really attract my attention. I'm more curious about what other (probably smaller) features 3.50 will have. (if it will have more..?) I can't wait 'till it's released. :D
RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by Pyroteq on 02-09-2005 at 11:09 AM

Ill be using it, Would be good if people find really good 10 second things theyve made and maybe share them or somthing, because personally i might make one or two and not be bothered anymore (Im very lazy)

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by spastje on 02-09-2005 at 01:55 PM

Good job patchou. Could you make also a feature sow you can make you're own winks.

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by Sunshine on 02-09-2005 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spastje
Good job patchou. Could you make also a feature sow you can make you're own winks.
Winks is an MSN feature, not a Plus! feature.
RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by Mike on 02-09-2005 at 04:13 PM

Well, firstly, I voted for the last option but then I undoed and put in the first vote... ;)
The reason was that I also coded something similar (my sounder plugin) in some days while it took Patchou 2 months to code it!
My plugin is working almost the same way plus! is doing it.
The only difrence is that it doesnt encode to the mp3 codec...

Well, anyway, good feature Patchou (y)

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by Guido on 02-09-2005 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by spastje
Winks is an MSN feature, not a Plus! feature.
Plus, not many people know how to use Flash enough to create winks... :-/

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
this way we could enjoy surround sound at a fraction above normal mp3 size
Why the hell do you want surround sound for 8-seconds-long emotion sounds?? :P

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by aNILEator on 02-09-2005 at 08:14 PM

it could be fun to have surround sound clips, i have loads that are quite funny mostly sound effects like someone walking around you and  then slamming a door or a helicopter going over head or sumat,

the mp3 surround codec is very cool, its like 200kb larger than a standard mp3 maybe and is in surround sound :D, also it plays in stereo if the user does not have the surround de-coder whatever :D

RE: Messenger Plus new feature, new sound codec? by Guido on 02-09-2005 at 08:19 PM

I don't see the point in it, since a huge majority of Plus! users don't have a surround-capable speaker system, so quit the idea already :gfdrin: