Shoutbox

Sign in is pissing me off - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Sign in is pissing me off (/showthread.php?tid=38126)

Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-09-2005 at 10:49 AM

Every time I sign in it takes very long (like 5 minutes) until my contactlist actually appears, before that, the whole 5 minutes, the msn-window is empty and doesn't react, until my list appears. Then there are already windows blinking of people who have already spoken to me in that time. Then I only have a couple contacts online, en again after some time, the rest signs in (a whole load at a time). My pc is new from september so that won't be the problem. I enabled de UPNP port on my router, and the other pc connected to is has the same problem. People I know have the same problem, and do not have a router. When we all try 5.0 it's solved. What's causing this problem? :(

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Lilo on 02-09-2005 at 10:53 AM

Which version of messenger are you using?  (to see go to your Contact list -> help -> about msn messenger)

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by user27089 on 02-09-2005 at 10:53 AM

The servers are being slow, and if you're using dial-up I think that it would make it even slower... its nothing to do with your msn, but with the servers afaik...

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by toddy on 02-09-2005 at 10:54 AM

try changing the server your msn connects to msn with

use this program http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=273157

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-09-2005 at 04:56 PM

I use cable modem, not dial-up. The problem occurs in 6.2, also on the 7.0 beta. I'm gonna try he server-switching. Thanks already.

the servertool doesn't work on XP it says..
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by rix on 02-09-2005 at 05:31 PM

First, try restarting your computer and see if the contacts reappear.

If this does not help, you can see if your contacts are still in the My allow list. In Messenger, click the tools menu, then click options. In the box that appears click the privacy tab. Here you will see on the left a list called My allow list. Here you can add each contact to to your list again. To do so right click on a contact and choose add to contacts

If your contacts are not listed here then the problem is probably on the MSN server. You can try signing in on a different computer to see if your contact list appears, but if this is not the case you will have to add each contact again.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-10-2005 at 09:55 PM

My contact list doés appear, but only after several minutes, the msn window freeses, then it goes blank, and then my contact list appears, msn starts working and windows of conversations are popping up

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by wwfc_barmy_army on 02-10-2005 at 10:16 PM

Do you have a firewall 'half blocking it'? Or maybe a router? Or Protowall?

Something like that?

Pete.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-11-2005 at 02:42 PM

yes, i have a router, a belkin 54G, can that make a difference? I don't have a firewall.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Tasha on 02-11-2005 at 02:46 PM

It may be something to do with ur router..

Try running virus scan and spyware seach and destroy. And look for anything unusual that could be making things slow.

Apart from that, I can't suggest anyhting but a clean install of MSN, if that doesn't work, a format :(.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-11-2005 at 03:45 PM

I really don't know, my second pc has the same problem, all my friends have this problem, can we change the server with a tool that does work?

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by _Humphreys on 02-11-2005 at 03:48 PM

Aparantly that tool doesn't work on Msn 7 and no server changing tools will work on Msn 7.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by wwfc_barmy_army on 02-11-2005 at 05:19 PM

You don't have a firewall?!?!? Thats is now-a-days a must while surfing the internet. A hacker will track you down in no time. I suggest you get a firewall and quick.

Pete.

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by matty on 02-11-2005 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wwfc_barmy_army
You don't have a firewall?!?!? Thats is now-a-days a must while surfing the internet. A hacker will track you down in no time. I suggest you get a firewall and quick.

Pete.
:mipdodgy:

Anyways here is the thing. This is going to sound strange but Plus! Plugins can cause a PC's signin time to greatly increase if they have a huge initilization routine. Try this, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL since you are running Windows XP click the Processes tab. Look for msnmsgr.exe and click End Processes > yes. Do the same for MsgPlus.exe. Then open MSN Messenger again (Pluls! will not hook at all because the process for hooking is not running.) Is your signin time still slow?

If you are using MSN Messenger 7 then goto Tools > Options > Connection > Test Connection (Note you cannot be signed in. This will give you an idea of how fast it is actually connecting at)
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Anubis on 02-11-2005 at 06:08 PM

In the Main Messenger window > Click Tools > Options > Connection and could you tell me what comes up in the top connection panel.

quote:
Originally posted by wwfc_barmy_army

Even if you don't have a firewall as long as you know what you're doing with setting up connections and things you can be safe. I know someone with a high NVQ in Networking who doesn't use a firewall...In any case he's using a router, which makes hacking harder, and most routers have firewalls up and running most of the time.
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-11-2005 at 07:33 PM

Well, the Alt+Ctrl+Del thing doesn't work, when i test my connection while not signed in, 'messenger doesn't have found problems in the configuration', but it takes as long as the sign-in problem anyways

As for my firewall: I have the 'firewall' of windows XP, a router with firewall, wpa-psk connection and mac-adress filtering...

Ow yeah i'm doing 7.0 again, the same problem as with 6.2 tough..

a piece of log of my router's firewall:

Firewall log:
Fri Feb 11 11:24:41 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:24:44 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:24:47 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:26:03 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 10.95.10.80
Fri Feb 11 11:26:54 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:26:57 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:27:00 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233
Fri Feb 11 11:28:03 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 10.95.10.80
Fri Feb 11 11:29:09 2005 1 Blocked by DoS protection 80.0.52.233

At the connection tab, following information is displayed:

You are currently connected to .NET Messenger Service using your default browser's HTTP proxy settings.

You are connected to the internet trough a UPnP symmetric NAT.
(administrator)
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by saralk on 02-19-2005 at 01:13 PM

if you are connected through HTTP that means that you are using a proxy, or something is stopping MSN from signing in using the port it normally uses.

I did a quick google search, make sure the following ports are unblocked...

IN TCP 6891 - 6900
IN TCP 1863
IN UDP 1863
IN UDP 5190
IN UDP 6901
IN TCP 6901

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-19-2005 at 01:28 PM

I messed with an option called 'virtual servers' in my router's firmware  which enabled the ports you suggested. And it seems it okay: at the connection tab in Messenger there's written that i'm directly connected to the .NET service. But my msn still freezes like 30seconds right after signing in... :( and when my contactlist finally appears (before that I just have a white window) i still can't do anything the first 10 seconds or so...

I have found a thread about people who have also my problem

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=249370&page=1&pp=15

It seems that the problem occurs at version 6 and higher, and when connected with a router. Does anyone have a solution? P.S., when I disable my router firewall it doesn't help...
anyone?
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 07:12 PM

hmm cud be the server or just ur internet connection...do u have DSL/cable/56k/dial up? what and do u and ur friends have the same internet connection and same company?

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-19-2005 at 07:32 PM

I have cable, and yes, my friends have the same company. But there are like only 2 companies here in our country and we all are connected to the biggest. Internet goes very fast, and as I already said, MSN 5 doesn't have the problem...

I enlarged the pagefile, my pc starts a bit faster but it doesn't change a thing to msn. It's really annoying. I found many other threads of people with this problem by now, there's never a solution. Looks like many people have to deal with it...

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 07:43 PM

well...i had the same problem in mIRC..it was cause of my firewall and that i shared my internet and the place (my neighbour) where all the internet was connected and another firewall so it was like 2 firewalls and it took like 2 mins to get connected to mIRC...its prolly because of ur firewall setting...the firewall that windows XP has sux so mu can turn that off...that might make it a little faster

do u share internet?

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-19-2005 at 07:53 PM

yes with the pc downstairs. When turning off the firewall it doesn't change a thing tough...

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Anubis on 02-19-2005 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by exca

yes with the pc downstairs. When turning off the firewall it doesn't change a thing tough...

I noticed when I turned it off normally; it didn't actually turn off for my LAN. Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Windows Firewall > (Make sure it's off) > Advanced > Make sure it is unchecked there. Click Ok. When you turn it off in general for the internet it doesn't affect the network version.
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-19-2005 at 08:16 PM

Again nothing:( I'm confused, there has gotta be a way, V5 works great... What is causing this problem???

Mission Impossible I could say..

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 08:17 PM

maybe ur computer doesnt accept or run some files that come with msn 6 or higher and that makes it slower

this what i just said is just a thought

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-19-2005 at 10:35 PM

dunno, deleted the register, did a clean install, nothing. PC downstairs doesn't run msn properly also... I tried like everything. I have SP2. And I deleted Windows Messenger... but that won't make a difference right... So waiting for the final relase of 7.0 is an option, and see.. but it doesn't look beautiful because I just tried that leaked private beta and it's also that slow... and it's close to the final one.. it's very weird, I don't understand :( This thread isn't pointless after all... there are always new possible solutions and that way we get closer to the cause of the problem, altough I feel like being not there at all.

But anyway:p

Greets

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 10:41 PM

yea i understand ur problem, it might be due to firewall, maybe u cud turn the firewall completely off and then try, if that doesnt help then dont forget to turn the firewall back on :P

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-20-2005 at 09:45 AM

yeah i tried to turn of that firewall completely, together with the one in my router, but nothing. Yes I turned it back on :P Maybe i'll try installing Windows Messenger again, you can never know

I reinstalled windows messenger but it doesn't change a thing, it seemed okay first but sign-in time takes as long as before... i will make a movie of the thing so you can watch it...

Help me out please :D
this is a movie i took of my sign in, watch how long it takes before my contactlist appears:

http://users.pandora.be/dj_exca/msnfreeze.avi

-> I suggest you click save as...

I hope I took the right codec so you can view it..
Oww yeah, I also tested windows messenger as i installed it anyway and sign-in takes no-time, in a moment i'm online and my list appears immediately. Guess msn itself is the one to blame.... :'(
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by nathtaylor on 02-20-2005 at 01:59 PM

maybe its the number of smilies people have in their display name that takes msn7 a while to work out and draw. i've noticed msn being pretty slow the first time it shows my contacts list if people have a lot of those in my contacts list... its even slower if i've also got "this is a shared computer so dont save my address book on it" set on too...

does it log in any faster if you turn on "display by email address" (Contacts menu/Manage contacts/view contacts by/email address...)?

RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Anubis on 02-20-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by exca
And I deleted Windows Messenger... but that won't make a difference right
Do not uninstall Windows Messenger because MSN Messenger uses several of its APIs...You can disable it using CookieRevised's Reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

quote:
Originally posted by nathtaylor

maybe its the number of smilies people have in their display name that takes msn7 a while to work out and draw.
Due to the timing that the contact names are delivered to the client and when they work them out, this is not a likely cause...

quote:
its even slower if i've also got "this is a shared computer so dont save my address book on it" set on too...
Again, same thing...

quote:

does it log in any faster if you turn on "display by email address" (Contacts menu/Manage contacts/view contacts by/email address...)?
This got me thinking, when a problem seems to have no cause. Just try random setting changes (nothing really big). And eventually it may work.
RE: Sign in is pissing me off by Exca on 02-20-2005 at 02:39 PM

Well it doesn't change when turning those e-mailadresses on. And don't save my adressbook is not selected...

anyway thanks to all for the help, i appreciate it very much!:D(Y)

By the way that movie is definately showing my problem right?