Shoutbox

Ram.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ram.... (/showthread.php?tid=38136)

Ram.... by Purity on 02-09-2005 at 02:02 PM

What Exactly is RAM, is it memory? and if so, what does memory do?
I have 311 our of 511 RAM used up....is this good or bad, just w.e?:$

RE: Ram.... by Sunshine on 02-09-2005 at 02:05 PM

RAM: random-access memory: the most common computer memory which can be used by programs to perform necessary tasks while the computer is on; an integrated circuit memory chip allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible.

The more RAM your computer has the faster it's able to load the programs, also the more RAM it has the more programs you can use smoothly at the same time.

RE: Ram.... by Purity on 02-09-2005 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible.
Now i'm getting confused, is ram the same as a hardrive?
RE: Ram.... by Sunshine on 02-09-2005 at 02:18 PM

No it's not a harddrive, what it says there is that you can store your data/programs anywhere and it'll still be equally quick accessible..no matter in wich order you open it or where on your HD it is.

What is the difference between memory and hard disk space?
(thanks to Tochjo)

RE: Ram.... by Purity on 02-09-2005 at 02:18 PM

Oh ok thank you

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I have 311 our of 511 RAM used up....is this good or bad, just w.e?
Is it alright to have that much used up?

RE: Ram.... by user27089 on 02-09-2005 at 02:23 PM

Its not always using that much, RAM usage isn't that bad, it may slow down your pc, but nothings stored on it or w/e...

RE: Ram.... by Sunshine on 02-09-2005 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Oh ok thank you
quote:
I have 311 our of 511 RAM used up....is this good or bad, just w.e?
Is it alright to have that much used up?
If you think your programs are running smoothly enough than there's no problem. Problems will only occur when you try and do too many things at one time (have too many programs running at once)...it will tell you the program can't be run, lack of memory. Asfor now i see you have 200 left still..so no problem :D

yw :D
RE: Ram.... by segosa on 02-09-2005 at 03:07 PM

quote:
too many things at one time (have too many programs running at once)...it will tell you the program can't be run, lack of memory. Asfor now i see you have 200 left still..so no problem :D

Nah, it'll start using the Swap space which is basically using your hard-drive as RAM.. and that slows you down.
RE: Ram.... by Rubber Stamp on 02-09-2005 at 03:24 PM

i have 256 mb ram, but my comp shows just 229 mb...wassup wid this?

RE: Ram.... by Millenium_edition on 02-09-2005 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
then your vendor is lying.
quote:
quote:
allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible.
Now i'm getting confused, is ram the same as a hardrive?
to give you a short answer, the RAM is way faster and gets erased once the power runs out.
RE: Ram.... by Sunshine on 02-09-2005 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
That means some of it is built in..i got the same...i supposively have 512 and it shows 480.
RE: Ram.... by Eljay on 02-09-2005 at 04:15 PM

quote:
That means some of it is built in..i got the same...i supposively have 512 and it shows 480.
thats probably because of a 32MB integrated gfx card or sumthing
RE: RE: Ram.... by user2319 on 02-09-2005 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
quote:
thats probably because of a 32MB integrated gfx card or sumthing

yup, and the gfx card then steals some of your memory, because it doesn't have any built-in.. :dodgy:
RE: Ram.... by Rubber Stamp on 02-10-2005 at 05:32 AM

yah, its shared or something, but earlier it showed 248 mb and suddenly, its 229 mb, weird

RE: Ram.... by C3PO on 02-10-2005 at 11:58 AM

I recently bought a 512 ddr ram (400mhz) stick, my computer runs so much smoother now and i can finally play doom 3! evan though not very smootly :( but o well. I heard a good explanation ( if thats the word) of how ram and hardrives work. Picture your hardrive as a garage and the bigger it is the more space you can hold now picture ram as the car the faster thw ram is the smoother and faster the cats pulls in ;) there not the exact words I heard the explanation was a lot betta then i explaned but i thought it was interesting how they put it.

RE: Ram.... by user2319 on 02-10-2005 at 05:48 PM

That's a nice explanation, but then you should still explain processors :P It'd be more like the proc being the engine, and the ram being the seats? And then the trunk would be the hdd? Mobo being the frame and PSU the fuel-tank

RE: Ram.... by segosa on 02-10-2005 at 06:16 PM

Why don't people just learn the technical details and then they won't need these stupid analogies to understand it? :P

RE: RE: Ram.... by C3PO on 02-10-2005 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by C3PO
I recently bought a 512 ddr ram (400mhz) stick, my computer runs so much smoother now and i can finally play doom 3! evan though not very smootly :( but o well. I heard a good explanation ( if thats the word) of how ram and hardrives work. Picture your hardrive as a garage and the bigger it is the more space you can hold now picture ram as the car the faster thw ram is the smoother and faster the cats pulls in ;) there not the exact words I heard the explanation was a lot betta then i explaned but i thought it was interesting how they put it.

I think that would just confuse people :undecided:
RE: RE: Ram.... by user2319 on 02-10-2005 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Why don't people just learn the technical details and then they won't need these stupid analogies to understand it? :P

because technical details scare them.. for the common user, computer == intel == windows == msn == kazaa == :devil:
RE: Ram.... by ZrednaZ on 02-10-2005 at 07:15 PM

I'll just go ahead and have a shot at explaining what RAM is as well. ;)

Ok, so imagine that you're writing an essay, but you have a limited volcabulary. So you get a dictionary (this being the computer harddrive) and start writing the essay using this. But you quickly realize that you keep looking up the same words again and again, so you devise a new solution: Writing down your commonly used words in a quickly-accessable notebook (this being the comptuer RAM).

But wait... suddenly your notebook starts to fill up, so you decide to put some sheets of paper from the notebook back into the dictionary (let's just say underneath the front cover). This was supposed to illustrate what the harddrive's page file does... It's simply a slow backup solution for the RAM. So if you're browsing the net in Internet Explorer and then open a game, the game will need so much RAM that Windows will have to free up some RAM by swapping Internet Explorer into the pagefile.

Comprendes? ;)

RE: RE: Ram.... by user2319 on 02-10-2005 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
I'll just go ahead and have a shot at explaining what RAM is as well. ;)

Ok, so imagine that you're writing an essay, but you have a limited volcabulary. So you get a dictionary (this being the computer harddrive) and start writing the essay using this. But you quickly realize that you keep looking up the same words again and again, so you devise a new solution: Writing down your commonly used words in a quickly-accessable notebook (this being the comptuer RAM).

But wait... suddenly your notebook starts to fill up, so you decide to put some sheets of paper from the notebook back into the dictionary (let's just say underneath the front cover). This was supposed to illustrate what the harddrive's page file does... It's simply a slow backup solution for the RAM. So if you're browsing the net in Internet Explorer and then open a game, the game will need so much RAM that Windows will have to free up some RAM by swapping Internet Explorer into the pagefile.

Comprendes? ;)

It's called SWAP. Nice explanation though :)
RE: Ram.... by segosa on 02-10-2005 at 09:24 PM

Since we're all giving explanations I'll try and explain it in a technical way people can understand..

(NOTE: Some things may not be exactly right, I'm trying to keep it extremely simple...)

Everything is text. From text files to Word documents to images to the MSN Messenger executable to what is sent down that modem. You can assume that text is letters of the alphabet, punctuation etc. There are also 31 characters which you cannot 'see' and have special meaning. There are 255 characters in all. I will refer to it as "binary text".

If you open an image file in notepad, you will see binary text.
If you watch what is being sent down your modem, you will see it is simply binary text. There is no magic when it comes to computers, everything can be understood.

Now. Your hard drive stores every file on your computer. And remember, it's simply binary. When you run a program (a .exe) Windows has to read the contents of the file (remember it's all readable bytes (byte = 1 character)) and execute it. Windows can execute the binary, this is how it runs applications.

Right now you're probably looking at this post through your browser. This text you're reading has to be stored somewhere. While it is being stored on your hard-drive for caching purposes, it's actually right this moment in RAM.

RAM can do the same as a hard-drive: store data (binary..). The difference is that it's very fast to access its data. Also, when you turn off your computer its contents are all deleted. When you close your browser, this text will be removed from RAM as it is unnecessary, you don't need to read this post anymore.

Hmm, well, I tried.. I hope it helps. :p Ask whatever questions (directed at the people who learnt something from this) if you want...

RE: RE: RE: Ram.... by ZrednaZ on 02-12-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
It's called SWAP. Nice explanation though :)

I believe the word 'swap' is already mentioned in there somewhere! ;) (or 'swapping', but what the heck)...

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
The difference is that it's very fast to access its data. Also, when you turn off your computer its contents are all deleted.

On a side note, there's actually supposably a new generation of RAM on its way (or so I read). One that doesn't forget its data upon power loss... like flash ram I guess, only seriously faster, thus meaning that you'll be able to have your computer up and running in a matter of seconds. I couldn't find any webpages to document this, though. :) Can't wait to see what the future will bring.

//////Zred
RE: Ram.... by ShawnZ on 02-13-2005 at 12:40 AM

RAM (Random Access Memory)
  • RAM is like a small area of temorary storage. If you start a program, in my example i'll choose Microsoft Paint, it needs a certan amount of ram to run. Everything you draw or type in Microsoft Paint will be stored in the little RAM chips on your motherboard. Why? If, every time you changed something, it had to save it to your big clunky hard drive, that would take a LONG time. Instead, the `small changes' you make like typing a document or painting a picture, will be stored in RAM untill you save it to a file on your hard drive. After you turn off your computer, all the ram is deleted. If you close the program you were using, all the ram it took up is now free.

Think about it - All the stuff you do, all the stuff you type, draw, open... It has to be stored somewhere right? It can't just be saved into the very fabric of spacetime. All the windows open and everything on your screen right now and everything your doing at the moment has to be saved somewhere, so its saved in the superfast RAM chips inside your computer.

MOBO (Mother Board)
  • Your motherboard is actually a very simple peice of equipment. Its the largest silicon chip inside your computer. Every component is connected to it, and it connects everything to where it needs to go.

PROC (Processor)
  • Your processor is the heart of your computer. It handles EVERY SINGLE CALCULATION. Every key you press, every window you maximize or close, even when a program starts, THOUSANDS OF CALCULATIONS run through the processor. Your processor does alomost everything, then sends it to the place it needs to go. Theres no real other way to explain it. Your processor is the miracle of computing technology that revelotionized our world.

HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • A hard drive is like a compact disk inside your computer that can't be removed. It holds the files on your computer so you can open them. The data on hard drives lasts forever and can be activly created or deleted by the person using the computer. Your harddrive contains Windows or Macintosh or whatever your computer runs, as well as all the programs and documents and files on your computer. Anything in your desktop or start menu is stored on your harddrive.

That's all I can think to explain for now, if you need any more definitions just post:)
RE: Ram.... by jren207 on 02-13-2005 at 02:53 AM

Blah, you turn on your computer, windows starts up, you get the boot screen, it's loading all the necessary files and settings for windows to operate from the harddisc to the RAM. Finishes loading. You get in, you run some programs, the RAM fills up with those progs. You close them the ram gets emptied a little. You run more, the RAM is filled quite alot, your harddisc then takes some of your programs bits and pieces and stores them temporarely. You close those programs. You harddisc deletes the temporary files. Your RAM gets cleared a little. You then shutdown your computer. Your settings that were loaded are saved to the harddisc for use next time. Then the computer takes away all the necassary files for windows to run back out of the RAM, it's empty, your computer goes off/you turn it off when prompted.