Shoutbox

OMFG how crap is this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: OMFG how crap is this? (/showthread.php?tid=38146)

OMFG how crap is this? by jameslives on 02-09-2005 at 07:28 PM

wtf is with this..

[Image: msgplus_spyware.jpg]

i didnt delete the so called 'spyware' as i noticed it had just said everything in the folder named 'msgplus! 3' was spyware which is obviously not true. shows how crap microsofts spyware remover is.

ps. i dint install the sponsor

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by Millenium_edition on 02-09-2005 at 07:33 PM

use the goddamn search.

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by Vilkku on 02-09-2005 at 07:34 PM

This is old news, the Microsoft AntiSpyware detects some programs as security riscs even if they aren't (but most could, so it's not entirely false).

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by jren207 on 02-09-2005 at 07:36 PM

I know, it's one of these spyware detecting progs that think plus! is bad :(

it's just a stupid mistake that people like MS make...

Microsoft AntiSpyWare is quite good though, just make sure that it ignores Messenger Plus! as being spyware.

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by Patchou on 02-09-2005 at 07:37 PM

lol... 4177 signatures? isn't that a lot for a couple of files and registry settings? this kind of reporting is really ridiculous, it's a shame so many softare use it nowadays... "wow, I found 1 trillion signatures of a bad bad program", it just doesn't mean anything and is simply designed to scare people.

Also, if you notice the report it gave you, more than 1/3 of your registry keys appear to be related to spyware... if that's true and if itdoes remove 3,000 registry keys, then you can bet your Windows won't start ever again :p.

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by jameslives on 02-10-2005 at 11:48 AM

lol
i already deleted them but 2000 of the registry keys were supposedly from msgplus so i only deleted 1058

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by RaceProUK on 02-10-2005 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
This is old news, the Microsoft AntiSpyware detects some programs as security riscs even if they aren't (but most could, so it's not entirely false).
Sensible people use Spybot: S&D...
RE: OMFG how crap is this? by jren207 on 02-10-2005 at 06:38 PM

I use Ad-Aware, spybot S&D and microsoft antispyware lol ... 8-)

can't be too safe now can ya? :P

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by user27089 on 02-10-2005 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207

I use exactly the same as you, but i use TweakNow RegCleaner aswell, I have a look through everything and only delete the required, sometimes it can be wrong...
RE: RE: OMFG how crap is this? by jren207 on 02-10-2005 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by jren207

I use exactly the same as you, but i use TweakNow RegCleaner aswell, I have a look through everything and only delete the required, sometimes it can be wrong...

i use that as well lol :P ... 8-)

with all these actual spyware variants (not harmless stuff like plus!) and viruses, you can't really do without all this antispyware software.
RE: OMFG how crap is this? by mad_onion on 02-10-2005 at 09:14 PM

dangerously old news. yes, it is detected as spyware but is set to ignore as it should. obviously for some technical reason the program cant tell if you have the sponsor or not so as it should Microsoft AntiSpyware informs you that is does contain something that you might not want on your PC. seems fine to me.

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by TheBlasphemer on 02-10-2005 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Sensible people use Spybot: S&D...

Yeah, but the Sensible-people/idiots ratio is currently somewhere below 0.6*10^-98 :(
RE: OMFG how crap is this? by Patchou on 02-11-2005 at 02:57 AM

quote:
for some technical reason the program cant tell if you have the sponsor or not
There are several very simple ways of detecting if the Plus! sponsoris installed. Giant (the company who made the software) just didn't care to make the difference, despite the fact that they've been emailed about it.
RE: OMFG how crap is this? by jameslives on 02-11-2005 at 11:35 AM

i want to use ad-aware (i have it already) but when i use it, it freezes on part of the registry. i have spybot s&d and that works but it didnt find everything so i downloaded microsoft anti-spyware beta

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by user27089 on 02-11-2005 at 11:52 AM

If it freezes the registry there must be something that doesn't want to be deleted, try using something like TweakNow RegCleaner to clean throughout and stuff...

and run some antivirus' like Norton or McAfee :)

RE: OMFG how crap is this? by Pyroteq on 02-11-2005 at 12:21 PM

I use Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.. Stupid anti spyware thing, try running it on a mac and it might just delete the whole machine..