Shoutbox

Talking Messenger for status etc - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Talking Messenger for status etc (/showthread.php?tid=38179)

Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-10-2005 at 01:15 PM

At www.talkingmessenger.com you can download a plugin for MSN IM but sadly this no longer works with versions above 6 (may even be lower).

This was great as it "spoke" when people signed on, signed off, changed state and when you received a message.

This was so helpful when the pc is in another room and instead of the ping you hear who has signed on etc.

Can we have this in PLUS????? it would be a seriously nice addition.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by user27089 on 02-10-2005 at 01:22 PM

I don't really understand, if you mean a automatic status changer, then it has one if you are away for so long or w/e... or if you mean a comeback message, then you can do this by right-clicking on the person who is offline, going to 'messenger plus! extras, and click 'set comeback message', and the next time he is online when you are, it will send him the message that you wrote earlier...

if you mean an offline talker, stuffplug ng 2 can do this, and you can download it from here: www.stuffplug.com

for the stuffplug 'offline talker' to work, you have to block the contact, and you can talk to them while they're blocked, making it appear that you are offline.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by toddy on 02-10-2005 at 01:25 PM

you can already sort of do some of this with plus !

go to plus! > preferences > notifications >

then for each contact u can set a certain sound when they sign in and/or out

you can't have certain sounds for when that person sends a message to you i'm affraid tho. maybe someone will be able to make a plugin which can tho

edit:
traxor no offence, but wtf ?? how have u got offline talker from wot she has said :S
edit2:

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Messenger Plus! Event Log basically?
again, wot you on about :S

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by KnightieBoy on 02-10-2005 at 01:27 PM

I think magiva is talking about a plugin thats says who has come online, changed status, etc.. (instead of the regular ping, it says the name or something)..
Wouldn't that increase the package-size, if it has to pronounce each contact's name (thus know every letter and word)? I would rather have this as a plugin than as a feature in Messenger Plus!

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by user27089 on 02-10-2005 at 01:31 PM

Messenger Plus! Event Log basically?

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by Chris.1 on 02-10-2005 at 02:53 PM

AS KnightieBoy said, magiva is talking about a plugin in which the computer will actually speak the persons name - for example "Chris has signed in".

If this was on a mac, if would be easily possible - mac has a speech capability built it. However, since it will need to be a Windows application - I'm not so sure it will be easy - unless there is some "speaking" program built into windows I do not know about. On my old computer, built into the soundcard, there was the capability to sound out single words - so this may actually be possible. I'll let someone else, possibly Patchou, answer this in more detail.

Shouldn't this me in a specific Messenger Plus! Forum, rather than in Tech Talk? Edit: Just realised it has been moved / I clicked on the wrong forum.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-10-2005 at 03:31 PM

Yes Chris and Knightieboy are correct.  The talking messenger program did speak in whichever voices you had installed (Windows XP).  for previous operating systems the files to enable speech are readilly available.  by default it sounded like Steven Hawkins computer but if you downloaded different voices availalble off the net you could assign female voices to your female contacts and male to mail etc.

was brilliant until the developer stopped developing and it became incompantable with later versions of msn.

have a look on the website for more details www.talkingmessenger.com - its a bit rustic but still there.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by toddy on 02-10-2005 at 04:14 PM

u do know the plugin is for windows messenger and not msn messenger, hard u tried using it with windows messenger ??

i'm tryin...but can't sign in on windows messenger atm :@

edit:
the plugin seems to be workin, altho it isn't actually makin any sound for me :S it says that it has said the message tho in the "spoken message"tab

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-10-2005 at 04:30 PM

yeah, sorry i always thought that one was the same as the other for MSN IM and WINDOWS IM.  Ive always used MSN IM and it simply stopped working around MSN IM v5. - The developer confirmed this.

The software says its said certain things but makes not sound- nor does it see the contacts from the contact list.

It did though - honest :)
Just dont have an old version of MSN IM to re-confirm\re-try
The voice talking bit stopped working after XP SP2 was installed - i never bothered to check the speech installation from the control panel - the talking messenger didnt work so i didnt persue it.

But now that Messenger Plus is thriving i thought it would be a place to revive this program and get see if someone can get it working.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by toddy on 02-10-2005 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by magiva

But now that Messenger Plus is thriving i thought it would be a place to revive this program and get see if someone can get it working.
you will need the owners permission and stuff, also patchou doesn't like using other peoples coding

i'm sure theres a simply way to get it working, you will just need to install and update or something to windows, i'll try get mine working
RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-10-2005 at 05:13 PM

Im hoping that by mentioning the talking messenger will give inspiration to patchou(or others) in the hope it can be written as a working addition\plugin etc.   I know the author has said he isnt developing it (dont know anymore than that) so that rules out a working version of it coming out.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by Chris.1 on 02-10-2005 at 06:28 PM

magiva - is the program open source? If not, can you get the source for it?

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-11-2005 at 08:06 AM

ive mailed the email addresses shown on the site with links to this thread to to see what he says.  I dont think he will want someone else devloping his work but i dont know him from adam and ya never know.  here's hoping anyhow

Maybe someone could take this as an idea and write something silimar?

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by TalkingMessenger on 02-11-2005 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by magiva
ive mailed the email addresses shown on the site with links to this thread to to see what he says. 

Well, I've got the mail and here I am...

To say that I don't develop the program anymore is not completely true. The problem is a combination of available time and the internals of messenger (MSN messenger that is).

Windows messenger exposed itself very easily to any developer, hence the quick and dirty early versions. After many comments, this resulted in the currently available version but the big problem is that only Windows messenger is supported...
Unfortunately (that is an understatement), many users switched to MSN Messenger and the program didn't work anymore. I've tried the easy way like I did with the Windows version but that wouldn't work anymore since the events aren't there anymore. I've tried hooking the app but that made both applications unstable. The same applied when I tried version 5 and 6.

Having a few connections inside MS, I've tried to get more info or perhaps an SDK. That was a long way and eventually, that road was a dead end... They either don't respond or respond with 'if it's not on MSDN, it doesn't exist'. Further searches only revealed (lots of) information on 4.x but nothing on 5 or above...

I've been experimenting with the beta 7 to see if that would bring any differences but due lack of time from my side, I didn't look extensively yet. But, knowing MS, I don't have great hopes that the program will expose itself again. So, the debugger, spy-tools and more like those is all I have to find out what's happening and to see if I can hook into it.
If I can intercept the messages (or the events that Messenger gets), I can adopt TM very easily...

I'm open to suggestions :-)

Regards,

Ferry

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-11-2005 at 02:26 PM

glad you got in touch - hope that some body on here can help.  It would certainly add the 'sweet' element back to MSN IM.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by Mike on 02-11-2005 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TalkingMessenger
Windows messenger exposed itself very easily to any developer, hence the quick and dirty early versions.
So, I guess that you were using the GetWindowText api on the toast, and use the windows xp speak engine to speak the text eh...?
RE: RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by TalkingMessenger on 02-11-2005 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
So, I guess that you were using the GetWindowText api on the toast, and use the windows xp speak engine to speak the text eh...?

The last part is correct. The SAPI engine is (standard?) on every XP machine.

But the first part, no. It's written in VB6 and I simply added :
Private WithEvents oMessenger As Messenger.MsgrObject

Then, you get all the messenger events in your VB app, example :
Private Sub oMessenger_OnNewerClientAvailable(ByVal bstrDownloadUrl As String, ByVal bstrFallbackUrl As String, ByVal lUpdateFlags As Long)

It's up to the developer to handle those events (or not) and after that, Messenger handles the event too.

As said, this stopped working with MSN Messenger...
RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 02-14-2005 at 09:48 AM

Considering that PLUS intercepts messages, sign on's etc morphing the TM into a PLUS plugin may seem possible rather than keeping it a stand alone product.

Maybe talking with Patchou to see how he hooks into it for PLUS to work.  Im just interested in you being able to get it going.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 04-18-2005 at 12:00 PM

has anyone made any progress on this i wonder ?

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by Dempsey on 04-18-2005 at 12:17 PM

I've been thinking about working on something like this for a while and once i get some spare time I put some code together.

RE: Talking Messenger for status etc by magiva on 04-26-2005 at 04:20 PM

excellent, will be great to have the function back.

please email me or post a reply here so i know what to do and where to go.

mark