Shoutbox

Adware, but not the usual, i dont think - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think (/showthread.php?tid=38320)

Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Xevious on 02-12-2005 at 04:07 PM

From the moment i first installed messenger plus i was sceptical about all the adware going about my computer and on internet explorer, and have only now realized that it was messenger plus that caused it.

Im not saying messenger plus is a bad program, completely the opposite infact and im going to keep using it but ive been having probems getting rid of the adware. Ive followed the thread stating how to get rid of the adware, and have followed it successfully. This is what i did:

1. Install Plus with the sponsor program to ensure all aspects and uninstall programs are there.
2. I uninstalled plus.
3. I installed plus without the adware.

Now, everything is working fine, all adware gone, untill i restart my computer, as soon as i restart and windows loads again it all comes back even though it was all gone before. I even did an adware scan after getting rid of the adware to make sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

On another note, I fail to see why your sponsor is this adware, because its aim is plainly to be a hastle, and is in no way useful. I fail to see why a company thinks that adding favourites to your favourites menu which you cant even delete is helpful.

Cant you go with a different sponsor, like a shareware program or something, seeing as how much hastle and how many threads you get complaining about adware.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated and i hope you see my points.

Peace out.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by user27089 on 02-12-2005 at 04:09 PM

I'm not sure whats wrong, try downloading a different installer, and install that again with the sponsor, then uninstall with the sponsor, remember, before you restart your pc, or whenever you have the sponsor installed, don't use Ad-aware or any other spyware/remobal programs.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by _Humphreys on 02-12-2005 at 04:12 PM

If you can't get rid of it I would use this. It is a lop uninstaller.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Mike on 02-12-2005 at 04:24 PM

Also, make sure that when you are uninstalling, all the instances of iexplorer.exe are closed!
To do this:
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del

If any instances of iexplorer.exe are open, terminate them!

If that doesn't work, then you can try using remote assistance (windows XP only) with someone from the forums...

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Xevious on 02-12-2005 at 06:27 PM

Nothings working guys, I dont even have plus installed and its still there. Ive tried the uninstaller ccool, but that does nothing at all.

Mike2, Whenever i end the process it just pops back up again, and never goes away. I need help!

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by L. Coyote on 02-12-2005 at 06:48 PM

Make sure you're in an account with admin privileges (or restart, and start in Safe Mode with the account Administrator (if you use Windows XP)).

Also, are you using the Messenger Plus! 3.40.x BETA installer? Get it from here.

Try all that again. (Y)

Edit:
It is VERY important to close all other programs before removing the sponsor.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Xevious on 02-12-2005 at 08:00 PM

No, that doesnt work, as soon as i restart it just comes back.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Mike on 02-12-2005 at 09:34 PM

Just like Leo said:
Boot from safe mode.

To do this, restart your computer. Before the boot screen comes up (the screen saying the version of your windows with a progress bar) press F8.
From there choose "Safe Mode".
Then, after the user list comes up, choose "Administator".
Try uninstalling Plus! from there...

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Fraisie on 02-12-2005 at 09:47 PM

It may sound weird... but are you sure the adware you are talking about comes from Plus! ?

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Concord Dawn on 02-12-2005 at 09:59 PM

Hmm...I've heard of this problem occuring, but have never actually seen it. I suspect it might have something to do with the two IE processes that the sponsor opens not getting shut down properly. But as has been suggested, boot into safe mode and uninstall it. Safe mode stops anything else from starting up.

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by ShawnZ on 02-12-2005 at 10:56 PM

Heh, the great question, why do adware companies think there services are useful? Well either way, its goal is not to be a hastle, it really tries to be a professional search service for the internet. However since its mostly sponsered results(its only sponsered results) its kind of a waste of time:) and no one ever found a favourite they wanted but ya never know:) and it gets revenue for patchou, its alomost the only money he makes for Plus!! Well, boot up in safe mode then uninstall. Should work fine. If not, boot up in safe mode with networking and come back here to download the LOP Uninstaller. (it was posted in a link above.) Thanks for coming, and im glad to see you respect plus!

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by TheBlasphemer on 02-12-2005 at 11:15 PM

Are you absolutely sure this adware comes from Plus! ?
can you send us some screenshots, and a list of other freeware applications you are using?

RE: Adware, but not the usual, i dont think by Xevious on 02-13-2005 at 09:39 AM

Its all sorted now, It just seemed to stay gone after i re booted one time, quite randomly, well, thanks for the help. And it was definately plus causing the adware, because it got uninstalled when i uninstalled plus.