Shoutbox

Opera or FireFox - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Opera or FireFox (/showthread.php?tid=38440)

Opera or FireFox by Hussain36 on 02-14-2005 at 08:55 AM

Hi...

which one is better Opera or Firefox ...???

RE: Opera or FireFox by L. Coyote on 02-14-2005 at 08:56 AM

Not another browser war thread... :(

RE: Opera or FireFox by Eljay on 02-14-2005 at 08:56 AM

firefox

* Eljay starts a browser war

RE: Opera or FireFox by spokes on 02-14-2005 at 08:57 AM

definetly firefox

RE: Opera or FireFox by John Anderton on 02-14-2005 at 09:00 AM

Firefox.
* John Anderton doesnt want another browser war :(
* John Anderton runs

RE: Opera or FireFox by ayjay on 02-14-2005 at 09:15 AM

What exactly is the point of these threads? Everyone likes different browsers for different reasons. It's your own preference.

Hussain36: If you want to know which is 'best' so badly, then try both and decide for yourself :)

RE: Opera or FireFox by saralk on 02-14-2005 at 09:56 AM

i agree, everyone has different tastes. I find that opera loads faster and there are little things that make it a lot better to use.

People like firefox because they prefer the plugins and other features.

RE: Opera or FireFox by RaceProUK on 02-14-2005 at 10:34 AM

I use Firefox, but then I've used Mozilla Foundation products since starting to use Linux alongside Windows.

* RaceProUK recommends you give both a try, and remove the one you don't like

RE: Opera or FireFox by mad_onion on 02-14-2005 at 12:42 PM

opera, is better cause you can zoom into pages and i just dont like firefox so i would say opera

RE: Opera or FireFox by toddy on 02-14-2005 at 12:48 PM

opera is probably better, but i don't like its lay out to much. so i use FF

RE: Opera or FireFox by thc2010 on 02-14-2005 at 01:25 PM

none of them is better, use Avant, since its not Netscape Based Like Opra or FF Avant can do almost anything like firefox and have the compatibility of IE

RE: Opera or FireFox by Fröt on 02-14-2005 at 01:32 PM

Of course Firefox!!!

Because fox has a download manager,pop-up manager,spyware warnings and lots of goodies...

But i have to thanks IE:If ie hadn't got some scattering errors i will never meet with Firefox :P

RE: Opera or FireFox by WDZ on 02-14-2005 at 01:38 PM

* WDZ wonders if everyone who gave an answer has actually tried both... *-)

I use Opera, but I haven't tried FireFox. If you're just switching from IE, you should probably go with FireFox, simply because it's free, and that's what everyone else seems to be switching to.

RE: Opera or FireFox by saralk on 02-14-2005 at 01:43 PM

I have tried both, and WDZ do you have a paid copy, or an ad supported copy (i have a paid copy)

RE: Opera or FireFox by WDZ on 02-14-2005 at 01:48 PM

I have a paid copy. I think it's worth it considering how much I use it. :p

RE: Opera or FireFox by RaceProUK on 02-14-2005 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
opera, is better cause you can zoom into pages
Just like you can in Firefox :P
RE: Opera or FireFox by John Anderton on 02-14-2005 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
What exactly is the point of these threads? Everyone likes different browsers for different reasons. It's your own preference.

What i feel is that the question was asked to know what are the good features and how user friendly they are. How much resouces the use how do they run etc.
Some ppl cant try both cause mabbe they will be using dialups and cant afford downloading stuff. Well thats what i feel.
RE: Opera or FireFox by The Napster on 02-14-2005 at 03:21 PM

Jeez, just test both. Just cuz some people like Firefox better than Opera dosent mean that its what you like better.

RE: Opera or FireFox by The_Thief on 02-14-2005 at 03:28 PM

I was always partial to firefox myself.

RE: Opera or FireFox by user2319 on 02-14-2005 at 04:11 PM

Both are good. If you browse the web non-stop, like WDZ, you should use Opera. If you open a window, close a window, open a new window etc, you should use Firefox.

I'm also tired of Opera vs Firefox. We should do lynx vs links :gfdrin:

Lynx is the best!

RE: Opera or FireFox by musicalmidget on 02-14-2005 at 04:51 PM

I used Avant recently until I decided I was tired of it and wanted a change.  I tried both Opera and Firefox.

Of course, in the end it's all down to personal preferences, but I quickly started to prefer Firefox of the two.  It's very easy to use and a couple of extensions and themes made it better in my opinion then I think Avant was previously. :)

RE: Opera or FireFox by segosa on 02-14-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan

I'm also tired of Opera vs Firefox. We should do lynx vs links :gfdrin:

Lynx is the best!

Yeah, Lynx is far better than Links, but Links is all I have on Windows. I can use Lynx via SSH though :p

RE: Opera or FireFox by ShawnZ on 02-15-2005 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
none of them is better, use Avant, since its not Netscape Based Like Opra or FF Avant can do almost anything like firefox and have the compatibility of IE

They are not netscape based, there Mozilla/GECKO based. Also, Avant is IE based, and IE is better then Avant in the first place. If you want to use an IE based browser, use IE itself or NetCaptor or something decent.

Firefox is a bit better out-of-box then oprea because all the features are easily spotted and easy to use but still very flexable. Oprea is a little complicated to use and i find firefox to suit my tastes a little better. The default theme for oprea looks nice, but i find firefox to be better in most other areas.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
* WDZ wonders if everyone who gave an answer has actually tried both... *-)

I use Opera, but I haven't tried FireFox. If you're just switching from IE, you should probably go with FireFox, simply because it's free, and that's what everyone else seems to be switching to.

You should really give firefox a try, you would probably like it.
RE: Opera or FireFox by paperless on 02-15-2005 at 12:16 AM

Firefox is the best i have tried opera before but it had way too much incompatibilities with some sites

RE: Opera or FireFox by Joe on 02-15-2005 at 01:30 AM

Opera PWNS... but if you're just looking for an alternate to IE... FireFox is the way to go

RE: Opera or FireFox by lylegilbertson on 02-15-2005 at 02:14 AM

i use everything for different reasons.

for gaming and stuff that i want to do in a hurry, i use the free version of opera because of the wand feature, and i have the bookmarks i like and use a lot on the side bars. 

if i want to just browse the internet at any given time, i use firefox

if i want to download things i use IE cuz i use Download Accellerator Plus (DAP) which really helps with dialup

RE: Opera or FireFox by Concord Dawn on 02-15-2005 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylegilbertson
i use everything for different reasons.

for gaming and stuff that i want to do in a hurry, i use the free version of opera because of the wand feature, and i have the bookmarks i like and use a lot on the side bars. 

if i want to just browse the internet at any given time, i use firefox

if i want to download things i use IE cuz i use Download Accellerator Plus (DAP) which really helps with dialup

You should try LeechGet, free download accelerator, only 2 text ads, and has a plugin for compatibility with Mozilla/Opera/Netscape.
[/offtopic]

Firefox is moldable, because you can install extensions and themes, etc. I like it over Opera or Avant. I only use IE if I have to.(dodgy Windows Update site....:dodgy:)
RE: Opera or FireFox by Pipish on 02-15-2005 at 06:36 AM

Firefox owns all :D.

RE: Opera or FireFox by Chestah on 02-15-2005 at 07:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
Firefox owns all :D.

Agreed :P
however theres always the incompatability issues bewteen sites that you have to revert back to IE to view :P thats one of the most annoying things. Even though Internet Explorer has its many infamous security holes ;) you have to admit it, it can access alot more content on the net then firefox and opera and i know this is because of its majority percentage of users.. but still.
RE: Opera or FireFox by Purity on 02-15-2005 at 07:44 AM

* Purity thinks Maxthon is better than Opera and Firefox put together....

RE: Opera or FireFox by magiva on 02-15-2005 at 08:19 AM

Purity has the right idea in my book.

Ive been through the odd browser or two and find Maxthon to be the best bits of both opera and firefox and more

RE: Opera or FireFox by Purity on 02-15-2005 at 08:23 AM

Wow, never found anyone else that uses Maxthon....
Yay! :banana:

RE: Opera or FireFox by Hussain36 on 02-15-2005 at 12:03 PM

there isn't ...

i asked ... i want to know which one is the best... faster...safer...etc...

now i'm using Opera and my brother use FireFox ...

Opera is good and FireFox is good also...

but as i said which one is faser, safer... etc...???

RE: Opera or FireFox by user2319 on 02-15-2005 at 07:30 PM

Opera is based on having the opera window always open. Firefox is more based on "hey, I want to view a website. Let's open firefox. So it depends on your needs

quote:
Yeah, Lynx is far better than Links, but Links is all I have on Windows. I can use Lynx via SSH though :P
:banana:

Go lynx :P
RE: Opera or FireFox by segosa on 02-15-2005 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Opera is based on having the opera window always open. Firefox is more based on "hey, I want to view a website. Let's open firefox. So it depends on your needs

Nah I don't agree with that.. I have Firefox open for days/weeks on end. I always leave it in its current state (whatever tabs open) when going afk.  I rarely close it.

Hussein: There is no better browser. Each has its advantages. It's all a matter of opinion.
RE: Opera or FireFox by user2319 on 02-15-2005 at 08:52 PM

What I really like about Opera is that when you open it again, all the tabs from your last use are still there :banana: Does anyone know a firefox plugin to do the same? (or an option somewhere?)

RE: Opera or FireFox by Eljay on 02-15-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
What I really like about Opera is that when you open it again, all the tabs from your last use are still there :banana: Does anyone know a firefox plugin to do the same? (or an option somewhere?)

Tabbrowser Extensions
http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en
RE: Opera or FireFox by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 12:26 AM

Session Saver is an extension for Firefox which does exactly that. I guess Session Saver is smaller/cleaner then Tabbrowser. It just depends on what you like, if you don't use Tabbrowser's other features then all you need is Session Saver :).

RE: Opera or FireFox by RaceProUK on 02-16-2005 at 01:31 PM

That's got to be the best thing about Firefox: it's just a plain, simple, no-nonsense browser you can extend and enhance to your browsing habits.

Oh, and there's a version that can run off a pen drive...

RE: Opera or FireFox by Pr0xY on 02-16-2005 at 04:41 PM

I use Opera.... I love it

* Pr0xY wips out the HTML script........ I'm ready for battle bitches.... :P

RE: Opera or FireFox by Kryptonate on 02-16-2005 at 04:56 PM

Each person has to decide for himself what the best browser is. There's been a test done with all the important, well known browsers and in the overall it seemed that Opera was faster. What I like about Opera is the tabbed browsing, the option to save what websites you were viewing, you have a lot of preferences,... . A downside is that it doesn't properly work with Gmail (altough it has improved with Opera 8). I used to use Firefox, until I got problems with viewing flash and audio/video. Using Opera for about a month or so now and I'm satisfied with it :).

RE: Opera or FireFox by saralk on 02-16-2005 at 05:56 PM

ive been using opera for about three years now, and i decided to try firefox for a week to see what it was like, however i am too used to opera. Its the little things that make a big difference, i liked the fact that the mail opened up in a new tab, not a new window, i liked the fact that you could double click in an empty space on the tab bar and it would open a new tab, i liked the fact that tabs shrunk if they had a small title.

There were loads of other little things that i couldnt do in firefox which annoyed me.

RE: Opera or FireFox by Shezi on 02-16-2005 at 07:25 PM

OPERA porves itself the FASTEST BROWSER ON EARTH...
so opera is better....

RE: RE: Opera or FireFox by user2319 on 02-16-2005 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shezi_ali
OPERA porves itself the FASTEST BROWSER ON EARTH...
so opera is better....

*ahum* for windows *ahum*