Shoutbox

Firewall - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firewall (/showthread.php?tid=38463)

Firewall by absorbation on 02-14-2005 at 04:58 PM

I have the firewall Zone alarm (free edition) and it is good but start up is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I want a new firewall without paying or could u fix my probs at startup. Thanks. :D

RE: Firewall by matty on 02-14-2005 at 05:00 PM

Start > Run > type msconfig
   Click Ok
   Click Startup tab

Reply to this thread with everything that you have checked in the window.

RE: Firewall by ShawnZ on 02-15-2005 at 12:25 AM

Matty, forgot to say "Goto Startup Tab" and "Goto Services Tab" first!

RE: Firewall by The_Thief on 02-15-2005 at 02:48 AM

zone alarm should have an option to not start at startup without going through msconfig

RE: Firewall by Concord Dawn on 02-15-2005 at 02:54 AM

Who cares? MSconfig > *. It works on services too, which rocks.

RE: Firewall by matty on 02-15-2005 at 04:07 AM

He claims his PC is slow when starting up. The startup items will affect this. Not Zone Alarm itself. Thats why I wanted him to post the list

RE: Firewall by Concord Dawn on 02-15-2005 at 04:44 AM

Wouldn't a screenshot work better? Saves a lot of typing and ensures accurate information.

RE: Firewall by segosa on 02-15-2005 at 06:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Who cares? MSconfig > *. It works on services too, which rocks.

Yeah, services which are required for Windows to startup. If some n00b clicks that "Disable all" button and reboots their PC won't startup anymore. Better not to tell them to mess with the Services tab:P
RE: Firewall by John Anderton on 02-15-2005 at 06:58 AM

Well actually i feel that zone alarm is a bit slow newayz. I have only the foll stuff in my startup
1) ZAP (Zone alarm Pro)
2) F-Prot AV (Really fast. Takes like 1,948 kb ram which is for the auto protect, sheduler and the update prog that sayz that there are updates available then the sp2 red sheild appears in the sys tray)
3) F-Prot Scheduler
4) What Pulse (868 kb atm)

Yet sometimes the zap takes a lot of time to start some times. I have 128 ram. Sometimes it takes 15 secs and sometimes 125 secs (I have timed it many times :grin:)
So i guess this is the way it is :)

RE: Firewall by absorbation on 02-15-2005 at 05:44 PM

Thanks my statup is sooooooooooo slow but i just turn off the internet b4 i login + it's much faster. Zone alarm is far 2 slow.

Does any1 know what icmp.dll is? Because everytime i login i get a error message saying icmp.ddl not found. It's sooooooooooooo annoyin.

RE: Firewall by Menthix on 02-15-2005 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.auditmypc.com/process/icmp.asp
Icmp.dll is required for windows to operate. ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) is used when networking. It ensures the integrity of information being sent across a network. If icmp.dll is unavailable Windows will not be able to communicate with any other comoputer (for example over the internet).
But it seems you can access the net :)

You could try to get icmp.ddl from you Windows CD, some place on your HD, or download it and then place it on your harddisk where it belongs, like suggested here.

RE: Firewall by absorbation on 02-15-2005 at 08:22 PM

thanks but i'm still confussed it only happens on my account at start up + it came wen i had a power cut and the pc could'nt shut down, wen i swicthed it back on it displayed the error message + now does everytime i login 2 my account.

RE: Firewall by Menthix on 02-15-2005 at 10:42 PM

What is the exact error message you get? Or post a screenshot.

RE: Firewall by absorbation on 02-16-2005 at 11:56 AM

Here u go i get this everytime i logon.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=382918]

RE: Firewall by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 01:41 PM

The error itself is coming from updsvc.exe, which is part of the Handybits Update Service. Do you use one of their products? You could try to uninstall that and re-install it.

RE: Firewall by absorbation on 02-16-2005 at 01:57 PM

i dont use their products, neva heard of them, the error happened wen windows did'nt shut down properly.