Shoutbox

How is this possible? :| - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How is this possible? :| (/showthread.php?tid=38466)

How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-14-2005 at 05:24 PM

I have a 2nd computer and its primary drive is D:\ . I yanked out the C:\ drive and it still boots (D:\ didn't change :S). I thought  that the boot sector was written only on the C:\ drive :|.

RE: How is this possible? :| by user2319 on 02-14-2005 at 05:26 PM

if the primary is the one which windows calls "D:", then it's seems no more than logical that the boot manager is installed there..

RE: How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-14-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
if the primary is the one which windows calls "D:", then it's seems no more than logical that the boot manager is installed there..

From what I've heard - the boot sector ONLY writes to C:\.
RE: How is this possible? :| by Millenium_edition on 02-14-2005 at 05:29 PM

there's one master boot sector and a boot sector per drive i thiink :-/

RE: How is this possible? :| by CookieRevised on 02-14-2005 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
From what I've heard - the boot sector ONLY writes to C:\.
you can write anything to any physical drive you wish and assign a logical driveletter. Especially now-a-days ("XP-days")where you can swap driveletters and physical drives like childsplay...
RE: How is this possible? :| by ShawnZ on 02-15-2005 at 12:24 AM

The bios tries the following boot devices in order:

Primary IDE Master (Harddrive 1)
Primary IDE Slave (Harddrive 2)
Secondary IDE Master (Usually CDROM 1)
Secondary IDE Slave (Usually CDROM 2)

However these settings can usually be configured in the CMOS setup.

When a disk drive is booted, the Master Boot Record starts and tries to boot to each partition on the drive marked as bootable, usually starting with the first partition (C:\ on harddrive 1)

When a partition is booted, the partition's local Boot Record starts and attempts to load the operating systems on that disk in the order specsified in the bootloader configuration.

Boot Records can sometimes list the avaible boot choices in a menu during startup like if you have a dual-boot configuration.

RE: How is this possible? :| by toddy on 02-15-2005 at 12:28 AM

for somone who runs a computer shop, u sure don't actually seem to know much

RE: How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
The bios tries the following boot devices in order:

Primary IDE Master (Harddrive 1)
Primary IDE Slave (Harddrive 2)
Secondary IDE Master (Usually CDROM 1)
Secondary IDE Slave (Usually CDROM 2)

However these settings can usually be configured in the CMOS setup.

When a disk drive is booted, the Master Boot Record starts and tries to boot to each partition on the drive marked as bootable, usually starting with the first partition (C:\ on harddrive 1)

When a partition is booted, the partition's local Boot Record starts and attempts to load the operating systems on that disk in the order specsified in the bootloader configuration.

Boot Records can sometimes list the avaible boot choices in a menu during startup like if you have a dual-boot configuration.

I tried b4 and it didn't boot with just D:\ in it.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy

?
RE: How is this possible? :| by SikStyles on 02-15-2005 at 02:16 AM

be happy, its just is :) :D

RE: How is this possible? :| by matty on 02-15-2005 at 02:44 AM

What you will want to take a look at is the Boot Device Priority in your BIOS under Boot. Check to see how your drives boot. Since you have Windows installed you have a boot.ini file telling there is an OS on a specific partition. Also from what I can remember all drives have a bootsector.

RE: How is this possible? :| by The_Thief on 02-15-2005 at 02:46 AM

The primary wouldn't change.  The letter would only change if you reinstalled your OS

RE: How is this possible? :| by Concord Dawn on 02-15-2005 at 02:51 AM

Did you install Windows on C: and then put D: in? This might make a difference if than if you had just installed Windows with C: and D: in, but I don't know.

RE: How is this possible? :| by DJeX on 02-15-2005 at 03:50 AM

Maybe the boot sector on the C:\ drive is booting to D:\. ^o)

RE: How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Maybe the boot sector on the C:\ drive is booting to D:\. ^o)

quote:
I yanked out the C:\ drive and it still boots (D:\ didn't change :S).

RE: How is this possible? :| by Joe on 02-15-2005 at 04:09 AM

Computer Gnomes....

quote:
low blow...
RE: How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 04:17 AM

quote:

1) I don't actually run a computer shop, and won't be. I'm in the process of setting up a computer building company

2) Just because I know a lot about PCs doesn't mean I know every little detail about Micro$oft Window$.
RE: How is this possible? :| by toddy on 02-15-2005 at 12:18 PM

quote:
quote:

1) I don't actually run a computer shop, and won't be. I'm in the process of setting up a computer building company

well your gonna run a computer building company
quote:

2) Just because I know a lot about PCs doesn't mean I know every little detail about Micro$oft Window$.

1)you told someone ram was often under the value stated when sold, coz it was missing 64mb, when he looked on system properties. when its clear to see that it was for an onbaord graphics card

2)you tried to use the wrong kind of ram for your new computer

3)you bought a motherboard which has known problems with its ram slots

thats just 3 things of the top of my head, can't be bothered lookin for any of stupid things u have said....... anyway basicly i wouldn't want u building a computer for me as you can't show little knownledge sometimes, and (seem) to not do any research before buyin/using products !!

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
    quote:Originally posted by toddy

low blow...
not really :undecided:
RE: How is this possible? :| by tomfletcherman on 02-15-2005 at 01:53 PM

Well when I was reinstalling windows onto a formatted hard drive it wouldn't work when I disconnected my D:\ drive so there must be something on every hard drive that is needed

RE: How is this possible? :| by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 05:14 PM

quote:

1)you told someone ram was often under the value stated when sold, coz it was missing 64mb, when he looked on system properties. when its clear to see that it was for an onbaord graphics card

2)you tried to use the wrong kind of ram for your new computer

3)you bought a motherboard which has known problems with its ram slots

1) That I was wrong about.

2) I tried to use RAM from my old computer which I hadn't actually looked at. When I pulled it out I realised it was the wrong type.

3) The motherboard has known problems with its RAM slots WHICH THE COMPANY PRODUCING IT DOESN'T ADMIT. I had to search google to find the problem.

RE: How is this possible? :| by toddy on 02-15-2005 at 05:17 PM

quote:
3) The motherboard has known problems with its RAM slots WHICH THE COMPANY PRODUCING IT DOESN'T ADMIT. I had to search google to find the problem
yeh u should have found this out before buyin :rolleyes:
RE: How is this possible? :| by illuzn on 02-16-2005 at 04:56 AM

If you want to change the logical drive assigned to ur boot drive goto computer management in administrative tools...under disk management right click on ur D: and goto change drive letters and paths
Simple, just make sure u back up all essential data before you try this as it may screw up the signature that Windows XP assigns to ur computer to make sure u don't ghost it off ur own and stick it on another.... Also you may need to delete the other drive from your system (ie. in the system control panel)
Anyways... just make sure u back up ur data otherwise you may have to reformat the computer.... well actually you have to boot Bart PE and set it backwards but I will stop rambling on