Shoutbox

[Idea] IM Message Forwarder - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder (/showthread.php?tid=38469)

[Idea] IM Message Forwarder by John on 02-14-2005 at 06:02 PM

I've thought up yet another plugin idea. :P So here it is..

My idea is a plugin that you can turn on, which copies all incoming messages and sends them through an IM window to a certain MSN account address.

So for example:
If you have a home MSN account and a work MSN account, you could turn on the plugin and set it up to forward all messages to your work MSN account. So while you're at work, you'd get a message from your home MSN account whenever someone would send you a message to your home MSN account. If you know what I mean, it's a bit hard to explain. I think i'll just make a picture to show what i mean, I've got nothing else to do at the moment anyway. :P

[Image: message_forwarder.jpg]
(On the left is your home computer and on the right is your work computer.)
The two people have sent you a message to your home MSN account (on the left), but since you're not home you've turned the plugin on and the plugin sends those messages from those people, to your work MSN account (on the right) so you can read them while you're at work.

From all this I'm pretty sure most of you will understand, if you don't then just ask.

So what do you all think, and is anyone interested in making this? :)

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Jip on 02-14-2005 at 06:12 PM

or u could just sign in to ur msn account at work :/

making the need for that plugin useless

i suppose u could make a bnc type thing for msn which stays logged on and just logs the messages whilst ur offline

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by jameslives on 02-14-2005 at 06:44 PM

yeah why dont you just sign in at work like jip said?

you would have to be signed in at work anyway to recieve the forwarded messages in the first place

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Cromp on 02-14-2005 at 07:03 PM

dont have 2 accounts, so i wouldnt personally need this feature.

but i no some people who have 2 accounts, one for home use and one for work, so mebbe it might be used.....mebbe..

so this was the big plugin idea you had thought of on irc.. but wouldnt tell us about :P

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by (CyBeRDuDe) on 02-14-2005 at 07:12 PM

Good idea Jaguar... :D.. Could easily be made... I could do it, but to busy with lots of other stuff... It's not that hard to do...
Also this way, you could infact have a person "spying" on your chat with someone... I reguarly sends some text that someone wrote to me, to another person... If the other person needs to hear what we are talking about, this way I could just set the plugin to forward all msgs to the other person... I'd do it sometime, if sometime I get some time to do it and no one else have done it yet.. I'd do it for you and everybody else...

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Joel4119 on 02-14-2005 at 07:57 PM

You could just sign in to your email at work. However, you could sign in to a friend's account at home and have that forward. Then again, there's always polygamy.

RE: RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by John on 02-14-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jip
or u could just sign in to ur msn account at work :/

If I would want to do that then I wouldnt have come up with the idea of this plugin. Also, you can use it for more things than just my example.

Yeah I know you're busy CyBeRDuDe. :P Don't worry about making this, just keep working on your Shortcut Plugin. :P
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Jip on 02-14-2005 at 08:48 PM

but theres no logic in a plugin like this

u would just sign in on ur msn account at work, using a seperate account for work and for home also has no logic(ever heard of groups :( )

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by ayjay on 02-14-2005 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jip
but theres no logic in a plugin like this

u would just sign in on ur msn account at work, using a seperate account for work and for home also has no logic(ever heard of groups :( )

quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
If I would want to do that then I wouldnt have come up with the idea of this plugin. Also, you can use it for more things than just my example.

RE: RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Ash_ on 02-15-2005 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Good idea Jaguar... :D.. Could easily be made.

(Damn you Jaguar, another good idea :P )
i highly doubt that.
sure sending text is as easy as one call but there is currently _no_ way to get the text coming from your contact easily. Plus API wont be allowing it anytime soon either, it would involve some skillful tactics/hooking to get this one to work. (or proxying which MSN7 destroyed :( :P)

i dont really see the point of it though, Jaguar if you really want it made, try to talk me into it over MSN :P. (although i might not be able to do it because i've tried already before :( )
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Menthix on 02-15-2005 at 03:03 PM

I think a plugin like this would be sooner be used as a spy tool then it would have a real normal purpose. If somebody should make a plugin like this, be sure the user is notified his/her conversation if forwarded (and to who) when a conversation is started.

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by (CyBeRDuDe) on 02-15-2005 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I think a plugin like this would be sooner be used as a spy tool then it would have a real normal purpose. If somebody should make a plugin like this, be sure the user is notified his/her conversation if forwarded (and to who) when a conversation is started.

Nahh.. I wouldn't think so.. I see your point... But this isn't any different that if I was copy/pasting the conversation to another person... The person I'm copying from would never know I did this... so this is nothing different than copy/pasting you conversation with a person to someone else, excpet this would be full automatic... that's the only difference... :S...
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 12:33 AM

Yes i know, but i mean when you install this plugin (when it would be created) on somebody else's account without him/her knowing it. You could set it up to forward all communication to your account while your victom doesn't know unless he/she goes to Plus! preferences > Plugins. On the other hand, installing a keylogger, virus or whatever is just as easy that way. I guess i just had a paranoid privacy attack :D.

I do like the suggestion BTW, just can't figure out a sitiation in which it would be usefull yet.

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by (CyBeRDuDe) on 02-16-2005 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Yes i know, but i mean when you install this plugin (when it would be created) on somebody else's account without him/her knowing it. You could set it up to forward all communication to your account while your victom doesn't know unless he/she goes to Plus! preferences > Plugins. On the other hand, installing a keylogger, virus or whatever is just as easy that way. I guess i just had a paranoid privacy attack :D.

Hehe, I did also think that exact same thought... :D...

quote:
I do like the suggestion BTW, just can't figure out a sitiation in which it would be usefull yet.

Me neither, but I like the idea, and think that it would be possible... :P
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Dark Link on 02-17-2005 at 10:02 PM

Just had an idea. Couldn't we use Messenger API to detect if a message is received?
And how to do it?

RE: RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Ash_ on 02-19-2005 at 03:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Link
Just had an idea. Couldn't we use Messenger API to detect if a message is received?
And how to do it?

no, you cant yet, only can you run code (easily :P) by both contacts having the plugin, and sending the special code.

so this plugin would be pretty hard to code, and probably get used by script kiddies. the Idea was good Jaguar, but the amount of people who use it for the wrong reasons is going to be more than the people who use it for the right reasons. [Image: attachment.php?pid=377363]
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by hayzer on 07-03-2005 at 10:43 PM

Does anyone know if anything like this has been created yet? I'm really interested in copying messages sent to me to my cell phone.

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by Lou on 07-04-2005 at 12:48 AM

cell phones aye...use msn/hotmail mobile

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by albert on 07-04-2005 at 01:56 AM

I think this plugin could be rlly useful.. here's a situation..

your at home.. you're waiting for some1 to send you a msg.. damn, the person is taking too long, you go up to go to watch tv, the pc is still downstair, you got one upstairs though but its logged to another account.. its ok, youll sign in on it, but before you can log-in, you decide to go to the bathroom.. while that happens, the guy sent you a message.. and went offline.. you sign in upstairs, you have no msg, the guy is gone, u dunno if he came in, u wasted ur whole time..

the message is still downstairs.. but you have no clue there is.. so ye..

IF YOU HAD THAT PLUGIN u would be fine

( see how much imagination I got :D ;-) )

RE: RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by hayzer on 07-04-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
cell phones aye...use msn/hotmail mobile

I use it whenever I can, but the problem is that most people just aren't aware of it. So, I've been searching all over for a plug-in or program that will do this with no luck.  I keep my MSN on often, and I want to be able to still receive messages when I'm out. So, is there still hope for this idea?
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by hayzer on 07-07-2005 at 09:50 PM

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

RE: RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by CookieRevised on 07-07-2005 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
I think this plugin could be rlly useful.. here's a situation..

your at home.. you're waiting for some1 to send you a msg.. damn, the person is taking too long, you go up to go to watch tv, the pc is still downstair, you got one upstairs though but its logged to another account.. its ok, youll sign in on it, but before you can log-in, you decide to go to the bathroom.. while that happens, the guy sent you a message.. and went offline.. you sign in upstairs, you have no msg, the guy is gone, u dunno if he came in, u wasted ur whole time..

the message is still downstairs.. but you have no clue there is.. so ye..

IF YOU HAD THAT PLUGIN u would be fine

( see how much imagination I got :D ;-) )

one problem in your imagination process though :p the plugin wouldn't have worked in the first place since you weren't signed in upstairs at the time he send the message...

-------

As people have stated, the "original" use of the plugin is totally useless and makes not much sense (unless you're one of those "why do it in the proper and easy way while you can do it the hard way"-people :P). Simply sign in with the account you want to "monitor" (using polygamy for all I care) on the PC you're at and/or don't be lazy and go check downstairs...

And if you really desperate then block your whole contactlist except the contact you expect a message from and turn your speakers to "rediculus blasting out extra loud sound", and then go upstairs and simply wait for the earthquake to happen....

The use of copying text to someone else, as in letting someone spy on one of your conversations, is however a real use. However, bare in mind that not all conversations are supposed to be "public domain" and the normal nature of a convo in MSN is that it is suppose to be confidential (and yes I know all about when you send something to someone you have the chance that blahblahblah, and you can copy/paste anyways blahblahblahblah... but the fact is that people expect that a convo on msn isn't so easly copied and is kept private). So, what I want to say to whoever is going to make this: be very, and I mean extremely, carefully in how you set this up and think about warnings and possible misuse and abuse of this plugin...

This would be the kind of plugin which is very handy and usefull in the right hands, but often and always will end up being used in the wrong hands...

;)
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by freitag on 07-07-2005 at 10:51 PM

i'm signed it on one account on my home computer, and another account when i'm at work/school. i have the same nick on both addresses, but one account is set to away; if i'm at work, my account on my home computer is set to away. if i'm at home, my acco.... you know what i mean). however, some annoying people don't care about my status, they just think i'ms et to away cause i'm busy or something. i often come home and see messages that people have sent me while i've been at work or school.
i think this would be a useful plugin. 
another good reason for why it would be useful: some people don't have all the same contacts on both accounts. if a contact you only have on your "home account" sends you a message, it would be forwarded to your other account.
of course, there is a reason why you don't have all the same contacts added on both of your accounts, so therefore the plugin should have like an allow list where you tick off the contacts you don't want your account to forward messages from :)

RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by (CyBeRDuDe) on 07-08-2005 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by freitag
i'm signed it on one account on my home computer, and another account when i'm at work/school. i have the same nick on both addresses, but one account is set to away; if i'm at work, my account on my home computer is set to away. if i'm at home, my acco.... you know what i mean). however, some annoying people don't care about my status, they just think i'ms et to away cause i'm busy or something. i often come home and see messages that people have sent me while i've been at work or school.
i think this would be a useful plugin. 
another good reason for why it would be useful: some people don't have all the same contacts on both accounts. if a contact you only have on your "home account" sends you a message, it would be forwarded to your other account.
of course, there is a reason why you don't have all the same contacts added on both of your accounts, so therefore the plugin should have like an allow list where you tick off the contacts you don't want your account to forward messages from :)
If only a set of people should be "allowed" to be forwareded to your work account.. Why not just add them to the work account??????... Wouldn't that solve this problem?...
Well... I don't know.. somehow I still like the idea.. But there are also a set of downsides.... Well... Anyways.. I think instead of somekind of message forwarder.. why not create a plugin for BotDK..
Case:
Your MSN at home is logged in, and running with BotDK and the "forwarder" plugin for BotDK... you are at work logged in at your work account... When you want to know if somebody has written to you.. You simply open a conversation with your home account running the Bot.. And type in some kind of login commando or something.. And from there it sends you a "menu" sort of message.. Telling who'm has been messaging you.. and you can send a message back like "read xxxxx@xxxx.com".. and it will send the entire history/conversation the person has written.. To your work account... From there you will be able to type eg: "reply xxxx@xxxx.com i'm not home, i'm at work.. Call you at 5 pm".. etc... I think this would be a really good and usefull plugin/bot.. This would solve many problems... Though it will not solve the problem that other people can read the convo's that they are really not inteded to... Eg: I give out the login info to one of my friends.. and he just types to my bot.. then he have free access to read what I write with others.... Well...
Maybe to prevent "bad use".. You could just insert a "Your messages have now been forwarded" to the contacts when you are accessing the bot for the history... Or something similiar... Well.. The problem at my side is that I am not really hooked in VB.net yet.. So I haven't looked into BotDK yet... But it shouldn't be that difficult to make this sort of thing.. :D...
RE: [Idea] IM Message Forwarder by saralk on 07-10-2005 at 09:02 AM

maybe as an alternative way...

If you set-up an apache server and make the root directory the MSN Chat Logs, then at work you can simply type in your IP address and browse through all your chat logs, if someone sends a message, it will get logged in the chat log, and so you can read it.

I think that would be a better solution then potentially receiving hundreds of e-mails at one time.