Shoutbox

Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? (/showthread.php?tid=38543)

Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 07:38 PM

I want to know if there's any way to use the Athlon 64 processor to a greater degree in regular Windows XP. I don't want to use XPx64 bcz of compat. issues with a lot of programs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by DJeX on 02-15-2005 at 08:16 PM

Not that I know of. I got a 64 bit and It works fine. No need to want more in a regular Windows.

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by Plik on 02-15-2005 at 08:18 PM

If you think about it.
Win XP came out before 64 bit processers
so how could there be 64 bit optimised code "locked up" in XP

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by saralk on 02-15-2005 at 08:20 PM

well there might be some features that can be tweaked to allow the processor to use more of its potential. For example, you could be able to change something that sends more processes to be executed at once or something (im just guessing here)

Also remember that 64-bit wasn't completley unheard of when xp came out.

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by Concord Dawn on 02-15-2005 at 08:22 PM

Probably isn't. That's why they're building XP x64. Why don't you just use a open source OS that's 64 bit?

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by .blade// on 02-15-2005 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Probably isn't. That's why they're building XP x64. Why don't you just use a open source OS that's 64 bit?

Bcz I want to be able to use regular Windows

And ya - that's what I mean - tweaks for XP.
RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by surfichris on 02-15-2005 at 10:19 PM

No, there isn't as far as I know of. I'm going to install the 64bit edition later today just to give it a bit of a go. Basically the reason is because the whole 64bit archiecture is different, the way things are done in the CPU and stuff and Windows doesn't support that natively..

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by juanfrank11 on 02-15-2005 at 10:36 PM

I seemed in some place that Windows just realeased a version compatible with 64bits-Processor. :)

Well, im not sure its released :S

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by surfichris on 02-15-2005 at 10:39 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

It's free to try..

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by Striker on 02-16-2005 at 02:09 AM

there is no way to "tweak" a normal windows to operate in a 64 bit manner unless you have win xp 64bit. Its not about sending more processes to the "cpu". 64bit to my knownledge still only has one ALU, which means its can only handle one process at a time. Normal xp only sends out 32 bits of information at a time (hense why its a 32 bit os). you can't tweak it to send out 64 bits of information cause the os just wont know whats happening. So basicly you have to get xp 64bit for it to have any effect on speed and what not. Although 32bit xp will still function, you wont see much of a speed difference.

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by .blade// on 02-16-2005 at 02:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Striker
there is no way to "tweak" a normal windows to operate in a 64 bit manner unless you have win xp 64bit. Its not about sending more processes to the "cpu". 64bit to my knownledge still only has one ALU, which means its can only handle one process at a time. Normal xp only sends out 32 bits of information at a time (hense why its a 32 bit os). you can't tweak it to send out 64 bits of information cause the os just wont know whats happening. So basicly you have to get xp 64bit for it to have any effect on speed and what not. Although 32bit xp will still function, you wont see much of a speed difference.

I am running standard XP and I do notice a speed difference. My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.
RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by Wabz on 02-16-2005 at 02:30 AM

I don't know whether of not it would be of any benefit running a Linux Kernel in the background and then loading windows XP through VMware or something.  Perhaps this could give more processing potential although I'm not entirely sure how 64 bit chips work

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by Striker on 02-16-2005 at 04:02 AM

athlons typically run faster than p4's cause of how their cache is set up. like for example. an amd 1 ghz is probably equal to a 1.4 p4.. but thats just throwing out an example, i have nothing ot actually back that up on

also .. xp 32 bit can not send 64 bits through the system bus.. its impossible. its not desgined to work as a 64 bit OS

RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by toddy on 02-16-2005 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

I am running standard XP and I do notice a speed difference. My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.

wasn't it 3.8ghz last time :P
RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by surfichris on 02-16-2005 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.
That is not a comparison!! they are two totally different processors which both have different rating scales (even when you compare them in mhz). For you to be able to make a comparison and say the 64bit is faster then you would also need a plain Athlon 3500+.
quote:
athlons typically run faster than p4's cause of how their cache is set up. like for example. an amd 1 ghz is probably equal to a 1.4 p4.. but thats just throwing out an example, i have nothing ot actually back that up on

It's not exactly based on their caches but its partially right. It is a whole different rating scale. I made a bit of a post about it a while ago but can't find it right now. I explained the way the rating system works and everything..
RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows? by .blade// on 02-16-2005 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy

wasn't it 3.8ghz last time :P

It's a 3.72 Ghz over-clocked to 3.8