Shoutbox

new virus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: new virus (/showthread.php?tid=38544)

new virus by Millenium_edition on 02-15-2005 at 07:49 PM

not a regular virus, just an annoying tool, which sends itself to all your contacts and signs you out

here is the link people will send you and you well send (if you click):
http://members.chello.nl/g.geurts/handcuffs.pif DO NOT OPEN

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS. THIS IS CLEARLY A VIRUS AND WILL SPREAD THROUGH YOUR CONTACT LIST.

RE: new virus by segosa on 02-15-2005 at 07:53 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=382454]

RE: new virus by Stigmata on 02-15-2005 at 07:55 PM

m_e edit your post to remove the full link....

RE: new virus by Millenium_edition on 02-15-2005 at 07:56 PM

done :) just don't try modifying it or anything

RE: new virus by Stigmata on 02-15-2005 at 07:58 PM

you havnt done anything...

just add a extra : on to http://  to make it http:://

RE: new virus by user27089 on 02-15-2005 at 07:59 PM

Yeah, somebody just tried to send this to me, I was about to click 'cause I'm really tired, and I read the *.pif part and was like... ARGH god no and just didn't press it and exited the conversation, surely you can somehow contact the hosts of that website and get it shut down...

RE: new virus by Millenium_edition on 02-15-2005 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /g.geurts/handcuffs.pif was not found on this server.
?
RE: new virus by segosa on 02-15-2005 at 08:01 PM

He removed the '1'.

RE: new virus by Millencolin on 02-15-2005 at 08:26 PM

are you sure this is just an annoying tool?or is it a virus?
becoz my girlfriend also sent me the link and she says she's not able to sign in anymore:S

RE: new virus by Smethead on 02-15-2005 at 08:36 PM

The problem now is: nobody wants to test what it realy does and that's why there can't really be found a solution. I think deleting the file might help. (my brother had it, but he doesn't use MSN). It could be possible the file copies itself into an other directory.

RE: new virus by segosa on 02-15-2005 at 09:00 PM

I'd test it on a virtual machine and find out what it does, but I really can't be bothered right now :/

RE: new virus by spokes on 02-15-2005 at 09:09 PM

any one know the name? i think my mate has it

RE: new virus by Smethead on 02-15-2005 at 09:24 PM

It's called handcuffs.pif and has a default MS-DOS application icon

RE: new virus by Sunshine on 02-15-2005 at 10:26 PM

Sounds like a Bropia variant (this originally was send as a file with .pif extension with default MS Dos icon).

RE: new virus by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 12:55 AM

News is on www.mess.be now too. I could test on a VM aswell, but the link in Segosa's screenshot is ded (404). I anybody has a working URL, just PM it to me.

RE: new virus by Twan on 02-16-2005 at 06:11 AM

I recommend everyone who opened it to change your password.. Someone told me that when you open it you password will be send in an e-mail to someone :S  have no idea if this is true but I thought I'd better tell here.. (If anyone knows more about this than tell)

I didn't open it because 3 persons gave me the link and all 3 did go offline after giving the link so..  also 2 of them normaly never talk to me so another reason to not open it :P

Stupid "virus things on msn"   Some people realy need to get a life :dodgy:

RE: new virus by Sypher on 02-16-2005 at 08:20 AM

The virus signs off the user, not because it has the password (afaik)

RE: new virus by Stigmata on 02-16-2005 at 08:55 AM

:o

anyone got the image that came with this virus??

RE: new virus by Pyroteq on 02-16-2005 at 10:43 AM

Just thought id add that the origional virus (not the .pif extensions) is called Sexy ass.exe and has a DOS Icon (my mate told me it was a game and i believed him, see other thread)

RE: new virus by Pr0xY on 02-16-2005 at 07:24 PM

* Pr0xY clicks link..... opps..... damnit...

I just got 3 IM's with the link, man there are some dumb ass people on my contact list.  Time to block them untill they get it off

RE: new virus by Fredzz on 02-16-2005 at 09:31 PM

this virus as affected millions of user Till now.. damn... and its self spreading.. damn!

RE: new virus by user13774 on 02-17-2005 at 07:39 AM

There is a removal tool by Symantec:

URL: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....removal.tool.html
Download: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxBropia.exe

It says it removes "W32.Bropia, W32.Bropia.J and W32.Bropia.N".... That suggests there are more versions which won't be detected by this removal tool, but I'm sure about that...

RE: new virus by J.J on 02-17-2005 at 07:45 AM

It is spreading and spreading fast, about 3 people on my contact list have it already, what pisses me off is that they dont do anything about it :dodgy:

RE: new virus by Lilo on 02-17-2005 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lappin
It is spreading and spreading fast, about 3 people on my contact list have it already, what pisses me off is that they dont do anything about it :dodgy:

Yeah i noticed that too, they are just too stupid or lazy to send a simple email about it.. :dodgy: I'm soooo angry with them!

RE: new virus by ~INVASION~ on 02-17-2005 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Just thought id add that the origional virus (not the .pif extensions) is called Sexy ass.exe and has a DOS Icon (my mate told me it was a game and i believed him

no you wanted to see a sexy ass dont lie :refuck:

but anyways nobody on my list has it because i havnt got that message yet but when i do (and i know i will sometime) wow im gonna tear that contact to shreds for accepting it in the first place :P
RE: new virus by VoyagerFan on 02-17-2005 at 02:04 PM

There appears to be very little information so far on this likely Bropia variant (possibly .N?) but so far I've found it can do one of 3 things when you first clicked the .PIF Link.

1- It will immediately close all FireFox and IE windows without notice, then God knows what else.

or

2- It will display a picture of a half naked handcuffed girl, send the link to others in your MSN contact list, then God knows what else.

or

3- It will open a website with a broken image, asking you to Run 'something' to view the picture, then God knows what else

Some reported symptons after any of the above so far include:
-CHKDSK no longer able to run.
-WINDOWS RESTORE no longer able to restore.
-ANTI VIRUS/ANTI SPYWARE/FIREWALL software mysteriously being Disabled.
-MSN Signing In and Out "on its own".
-Some users reported being that they're no longer able to connect to the internet.

Source:

code:
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=5357

RE: new virus by TheGeek on 02-17-2005 at 07:17 PM

Ok first off, there's no need to rub it in(Segosa already did) ... but i got the virus :P
It installs an RBot variant, disables AV, shows a pic of a handcuffed girl, sends the link to everyone online, then closes MSN. I checked my startup folder and it has new entries: wini.exe and winis.exe. There's also a new process running, guess...wini.exe.

I already successfully removed RBot but i think it also installed a bropia variant :(. Now here's the weird part (and it got confirmed by a friend who sent me handcuffs...): sometimes, when typing a message, msn completely freezes (and it says doesn't react in taskmanager), then after a few minutes, it unfreezes again.

RE: new virus by Gillinghamfan on 02-19-2005 at 12:18 AM

Ive got these on my pc.

titanic2.jpg.pif

She Could Fit Her Ass In A Teacup.pif

John Kerry as Super Chicken.scr

she's fuckin fit.pif

Me & you pic!.pif

Me Pissed!.pif

sexy.pif

Beautiful Ass.pif

You try and delete them and they just come back again. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

RE: new virus by Edna Mode on 02-19-2005 at 01:44 AM

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....removal.tool.html

i think

RE: new virus by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 02:38 AM

why wud anyone create such a thing...or create viruses..tell me, do ppl create viruses or some just appear?

RE: new virus by Edna Mode on 02-19-2005 at 02:43 AM

they create them, probably as sick jokes

RE: new virus by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 02:46 AM

bah fuckass fucktards!!!!

but i heard some viruses just appear, like out of bugs or sometin

RE: new virus by L. Coyote on 02-19-2005 at 05:40 AM

There is no ONE reason for making a virus or a worm. Every person is different, and so are their reasons.

Edit: Ok, so whatever, I thought I was posting on another thread. @_@

RE: new virus by Dane on 02-19-2005 at 05:12 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but (1) that sites offline (damn, I cant download it :() and (2) Users of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Windows ME/98/95 Users with the JPEG fixtool installed are not affected by this virus.

As of now, I believe Symantec has released virus definitions for Norton users to protect against this threat.

RE: new virus by user27089 on 02-19-2005 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gillinghamfan
Ive got these on my pc.

titanic2.jpg.pif

She Could Fit Her Ass In A Teacup.pif

John Kerry as Super Chicken.scr

she's fuckin fit.pif

Me & you pic!.pif

Me Pissed!.pif

sexy.pif

Beautiful Ass.pif

You try and delete them and they just come back again. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

you have issues don't you lmfao :lol: :lol: .... dude, this whole thread has told you how to remove them okaY??? How did you get so many :|:|:|.
RE: new virus by Anubis on 02-19-2005 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
but i heard some viruses just appear, like out of bugs or sometin
Bugs aren't viruses. Many people think they are, but they are very different. Say if a company makes something by accident that causes the computer to crash, it will be immediately recalled and patches easily available to all. These won't spread and go around the internet and will be containable. Viruses are made on purpose and made to be easily spread and infect as many other files as possible...

quote:
Originally posted by Violet
they create them, probably as sick jokes

Very few are made as jokes. The main reasons are usually people want to be "ph34r3d" and get "h4x0r" publicity, to gain higher ranks in hacking groups and to maybe be given access to zombie networks if they form alliances with other hackers.

Some do it because they own a computer shop and need more profit, and if people come in with problems, you can get money when it spreads to your area.

Some just do it because they can do it, and like to see the results.

Some do it to target other software and disable it, because they don't like the company.

Some make viruses to disable viruses of rival "h4x0r l0rd5" and let theirs take over.

There are infinite reasons why people do it, but none of them are by any means worthy...
RE: new virus by SikStyles on 02-19-2005 at 05:49 PM

but like, how do they make em, i mean there isnt like a tutorial out there that teaches u

RE: new virus by Anubis on 02-19-2005 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
but like, how do they make em, i mean there isnt like a tutorial out there that teaches u
I can't direct you to where, I'm not prepared to show someone who hasn't found them places with this kind of power. But yes, there are guides out there and most of it is just a form of decent programming to cause stuff.
Also some people just use simple batch files to carry out small annoying things to get rid of vital programs and files on the computer...These batch files and how to make them are easy to find online