Shoutbox

Hand of Hope... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Hand of Hope... (/showthread.php?tid=38568)

Hand of Hope... by Pr0xY on 02-16-2005 at 02:12 AM

This picture began circulating in November. It should be "The  Picture of the Year," or perhaps, "Picture of the  Decade." It won't be.

In fact, unless you obtained a  copy of the US paper which published it, you probably would never have seen it.

The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb.

Little Samuel's  mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at
Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.

During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby.  As Dr. Bruner completed the
surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. 

Dr. Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity.  The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope."

The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life." Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture.  She said, "The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person."

Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful. Now see the actual picture, and it is awesome...incredible....and hey, pass it on.

RE: Hand of Hope... by dylan! on 02-16-2005 at 02:16 AM

...naw...but yeh miracles can happen...but rarely...thats pretty cool:P

RE: Hand of Hope... by Pipish on 02-16-2005 at 04:47 AM

A little graphic for me but thats just amazing :)

RE: Hand of Hope... by WDZ on 02-16-2005 at 04:55 AM

* WDZ opens the pic and doesn't know WTF he's looking at... :dodgy:

RE: Hand of Hope... by Chestah on 02-16-2005 at 05:00 AM

thats just amazing

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
* WDZ opens the pic and doesn't know WTF he's looking at... :dodgy:
WDZ how can you not get it :P have a closer look!
RE: Hand of Hope... by WDZ on 02-16-2005 at 05:46 AM

There are obviously 2 big hands and one little one. But what's the big ugly round thing that the hand is coming out of? :p

RE: Hand of Hope... by st0rm on 02-16-2005 at 05:49 AM

yerre its like really hard to see what it is, theres the skin then this big round thing thats covered in blood then a tiny had and two big hands, wtf is the ugly round thing covered in blood?

RE: Hand of Hope... by Joa on 02-16-2005 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
There are obviously 2 big hands and one little one. But what's the big ugly round thing that the hand is coming out of? 
lmao :) 8-)

... it is kinda graphic... but .. awww.. such a tiny baby hand :)

RE: Hand of Hope... by Purity on 02-16-2005 at 06:56 AM

Wow, that's interesting.....miracle! :cheesy:

RE: Hand of Hope... by Weyzza on 02-16-2005 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
But what's the big ugly round thing that the hand is coming out of? :p
I'm not sure, but it's like the "bag" where the water is.
I don't know the technical term.
If it's true, it seems thicker than I thought before :p
RE: Hand of Hope... by L. Coyote on 02-16-2005 at 08:21 AM

I don't think it's the placenta (it's the same in English and Spanish :s), but the uterus. It had to be taken out, otherwise the woman's organs (such as intestines and the like) would be in the way.

Then again, I'm no doctor. :P Just a Discovery Channel watcher.

RE: Hand of Hope... by Pr0xY on 02-16-2005 at 12:12 PM

Gosh, WDZ(and alot of other people) have you never taken health class?  Christ I knew what that was the first time I saw it. 

Truly amazing though, show that picture and the story to someone believes in late term abortions.  I'd like to know what they'd have to say to that. 

RE: Hand of Hope... by user27089 on 02-16-2005 at 12:19 PM

That is a great picture and a trully touching story, what would you do if you were that doctor, I would probably be like :cry:... I can't believe it...

See, this is why I hate people who have abortions.

RE: Hand of Hope... by WDZ on 02-16-2005 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
Gosh, WDZ(and alot of other people) have you never taken health class?  Christ I knew what that was the first time I saw it.
But if it's the uterus, that's quite dodgy that it's outside of the body and able to be fully seen... :S
RE: Hand of Hope... by Pr0xY on 02-16-2005 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
But if it's the uterus, that's quite dodgy that it's outside of the body and able to be fully seen... :S
Okay so it is hard to know what exactly that is, but thats not the main point.  There is a 21 week old baby hand reaching out and grasping the doctors hand. 

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
what would you do if you were that doctor
I would probably break down, that would be so emotional for me. 
RE: Hand of Hope... by Millenium_edition on 02-16-2005 at 04:23 PM

this one would really deserve to be pic of the year :)

RE: Hand of Hope... by st0rm on 02-17-2005 at 08:25 AM

but still whats that thing tha the lil hand is cumming out from?!?!?! i need to know people!

RE: Hand of Hope... by L. Coyote on 02-17-2005 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by st0rm
but still whats that thing tha the lil hand is cumming out from?!?!?! i need to know people!
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
It had to be taken out, otherwise the woman's organs (such as intestines and the like) would be in the way.

There is no way a doctor is going to help this little baby if he's inside of his mother. There is a method called EXIT, which is what they have done in this case (from the looks of the pic). You can research this method on the web.
RE: Hand of Hope... by Pr0xY on 02-19-2005 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
It had to be taken out, otherwise the woman's organs (such as intestines and the like) would be in the way.
They wouldn't be in the way.  The womand organs are between the baby and the spinal cord/back.  Thats why you can feel the baby kickiing some times, cause its just on the other side of the womans belly