Shoutbox

virtual machine what is it? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: virtual machine what is it? (/showthread.php?tid=38591)

virtual machine what is it? by user35870 on 02-16-2005 at 11:27 AM

could someone tell me what virtual machine is and what it does?

thanks

RE: virtual machine what is it? by saralk on 02-16-2005 at 11:30 AM

you create a "virtual pc" within your own PC, and you can use it to run other operating systems and stuff within your own PC to test it out.

click to enlarge]
[Image: ws4_large3.gif]

RE: virtual machine what is it? by user35870 on 02-16-2005 at 11:31 AM

is it free?

RE: virtual machine what is it? by saralk on 02-16-2005 at 11:36 AM

VMWare is $189, im not sure about other virtual machine software

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 11:36 AM

In short, a virtual machine (VM) is a complete virtual PC.

You'll need software for it the most popular ones are VMWare Workstation and Microsoft's Virtual PC. With this programs you can create virtual systems which run inside of your regular Windows. So you can launch these virtual PC's in a window, boot them up and install almost any OS you wish on it. You can reboot a VM and install and use software... It's kinda like a remote desktop connection, but then connected to a virtual PC which is stored in a file on your system.

It's great for testing software. You can let a VM crash completely, your normal system will keep on working :). Install spyware, viruses and all... it won't harm your regular system and you can just restore you VM at anytime. I use VMware for betatesting Messenger Plus!, this way i can test on Windows 98 all the way up to Longhorn if i wish, on a single PC, without formatting it :).

RE: virtual machine what is it? by user35870 on 02-16-2005 at 11:38 AM

ok thanks i am downloading the 45 day trial from microsoft

so your saying that you can install spyware and all it won't mess with the main oprating system

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Edna Mode on 02-16-2005 at 11:42 AM

so would it be possible to install it and make it windows xp?

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
your saying that you can install spyware and all it won't mess with the main oprating system
True. But do keep in mind that when you have internet access enabled on your virtual PC, it will send data to the internet... so you should still know what you do before you start spreading a virus over the net from your virtuals system :). But for such things you could just disable internet access on the virtual PC, or install a firewall on the virtual PC :).

quote:
Originally posted by Violet
Yes, indeed. But keep in mind that you need enough power in your PC to run both your normal PC and the virtual PC at once. So when you have XP installed and you want another XP installation in your VM, you basicly need twice as much RAM and a good CPU. XP can run on 64MB, so 128MB minimal in your PC could work, but it will be slow. For normal results you need at leat 256, 512 or higher.

And don't even think about playing 3D games on a virtual PC :D.
RE: virtual machine what is it? by Joa on 02-16-2005 at 11:44 AM

quote:

yep :) you just hafta install the system on it like you would on a regular computer :) ... except you dont have to restart the "normal computer" just work the virtual machine

Edit: I'm too slow! ^o)
RE: virtual machine what is it? by Edna Mode on 02-16-2005 at 11:45 AM

finally my xp dreams come true for 45 days

edit justt perfect, the trial doesnt support windows 98

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Joa on 02-16-2005 at 11:48 AM

quote:
finally my xp dreams come true for 45 days

umm... i just want to let you know that if your computer is not compatible with windows xp, than the virtual computer wont be either! ... in fact it will be slower than your normal one too.

---- i'm goin to bed... |-) .. school in 1h :( ----

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Edna Mode on 02-16-2005 at 11:55 AM

and is vmware compatible with windows 98 SE

RE: virtual machine what is it? by King For A Day on 02-16-2005 at 02:35 PM

i saw thjis for running xp on a mac in the shops.

is it possible to run xp on a mac with out the mac system, cos i love the way they physically look and may be considering buying one, but i hate the mac os.

RE: virtual machine what is it? by Menthix on 02-16-2005 at 02:41 PM

It might be possible, But there is no way you will be able to use 3D games or fast video on an emulated OS. It's just a waste of Apple speed and your money, even if you succeed. Try to find a PC case that looks like a Mac :).

RE: virtual machine what is it? by saralk on 02-16-2005 at 02:41 PM

no, i dont think its possible, but there are a lot of pcs that IMO look a lot nicer than a macintosh.

RE: virtual machine what is it? by King For A Day on 02-16-2005 at 02:44 PM

hmmm i supose i just realy like that little one they brought out it would make a perfect second comp, i may still get one and us eit for my ipod music, but i dont think it comes with a keyboard mouse or screen, cos thats how they made it so cheep

RE: virtual machine what is it? by user2319 on 02-16-2005 at 02:50 PM

You can use your current keyboard and mouse and screen.. just buy a switch for them :)

RE: virtual machine what is it? by King For A Day on 02-16-2005 at 02:53 PM

yeh but then id either have to have them next to each other, ot have only one with a board mouse and screen

RE: virtual machine what is it? by segosa on 02-16-2005 at 03:11 PM

quote:
and is vmware compatible with windows 98 SE

Don't expect to run XP at a good speed, it's always slower, and if your PC isn't that fast don't expect it to be usable :/
RE: virtual machine what is it? by saralk on 02-16-2005 at 03:19 PM

if u want to run windows xp, you might as well upgrade windows to xp, since you would have to buy a paid copy to run it on VMWare anyway.