Shoutbox

AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] (/showthread.php?tid=38818)

AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Val on 02-19-2005 at 04:26 PM

Hey I have a cool idea for the oversized pictures that couldent be put as avatars, here it is:

If you have an oversized picture you want as a avatar and the website said its too big it could lead you to a area of the website where is resizes your display picture how you want (sort of like Stuff Plug NG 2)

Anyway if anone likes my idea plez dont hesitate to say so ;)

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Mnjul on 02-19-2005 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by val3006
it could lead you to a area of the website where is resizes your display picture how you want
I believe it increases the server load, and that's not good...:S

By the way, val3006, your current avatar width is 182 pixels, would you resize it to 150 pixels or smaller? :)
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 04:56 PM

I'm thinking about coding something to resize all uploaded avatars when they're uploaded, but I dunno... :-/

Does MyBB RC4 have this yet? :p

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by toddy on 02-19-2005 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Does MyBB RC4 have this yet?

stop been so lazy :refuck: and code it your self :P
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Eljay on 02-19-2005 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm thinking about coding something to resize all uploaded avatars when they're uploaded, but I dunno... :-/

Does MyBB RC4 have this yet? :p

if i said yes would you consider upgrading?

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by paperless on 02-19-2005 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by val3006
Hey I have a cool idea for the oversized pictures that couldent be put as avatars, here it is:

If you have an oversized picture you want as a avatar and the website said its too big it could lead you to a area of the website where is resizes your display picture how you want (sort of like Stuff Plug NG 2)

Anyway if anone likes my idea plez dont hesitate to say so ;)

Can you explain better? i didnt understand sorry
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
and code it your self
I'm not gonna bother if I can steal the MyBB code or just wait until I upgrade. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
I do plan to upgrade... after MyBB Final is released... :dodgy:
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by John Anderton on 02-19-2005 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Does MyBB RC4 have this yet? :P
No this feature aint there to my knowledge. Wait i'm sure it aint there cause a guy at my forums had a really long avatar and it wasnt resized :dodgy:
U could have asked surfi. He would have told u if its there :P

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm not gonna bother if I can steal the MyBB code or just wait until I upgrade.
^^^^ U cant so i guess u'll start coding now :P

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I do plan to upgrade... after MyBB Final is released...
Ya u did say that once before. Ur waiting for MyBB 1 rite ?
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by user27089 on 02-19-2005 at 05:24 PM

I think that its a pretty good idea myself, and would be useful for staff having to delete all of the avatars that are too big... I'm pretty much reporting a few avatars that are too big daily :-/... :rolleyes:.

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by toddy on 02-19-2005 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless

theres no need  !!! dz is the only person who needs to understand, as he will be the one making the changes.

so will everyone stop spammin and askin for things to be explained or making stupid suggestions
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Eljay on 02-19-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I do plan to upgrade... after MyBB Final is released... :dodgy:

MyBB Gold is due out in the next couple of months (at least thats what i read on their forum)

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I think that its a pretty good idea myself, and would be useful for staff having to delete all of the avatars that are too big... I'm pretty much reporting a few avatars that are too big daily :-/... :rolleyes:.
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about coding it... I see many reports of wide avatars, and most of them are actually uploaded here. If they were resized before being stored in the database, then me and the other mods would have less work to do. :d
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 05:53 PM

with any crappy image editing prog you can resize pics..why overload the server?

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
with any crappy image editing prog you can resize pics
But n00bs don't bother, and mods don't have time (plus, it's not their job).

quote:
why overload the server?
It won't overload the server. I'm thinking that avatars should only be resized right after you upload them, which isn't often, and this server should easily be able to handle simple image resizing. :p
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 11:11 PM

but like...the comes with a 3 mb image he took with his digital camera...and multiply that for 10...useless server usage:P

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-20-2005 at 12:38 AM

quote:
but like...the comes with a 3 mb image he took with his digital camera...and multiply that for 10...useless server usage:P
3 mb image? :dodgy: Well, I'll add a limit so if the image is very large, the script won't even bother with it. (y)

I started coding a resizer, but since I've never done anything quite like this, it might take a while. :p It's fun to learn new PHP skills though. :banana:
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by paperless on 02-20-2005 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
3 mb image? :dodgy: Well, I'll add a limit so if the image is very large, the script won't even bother with it. (y)

I started coding a resizer, but since I've never done anything quite like this, it might take a while. :p It's fun to learn new PHP skills though. :banana:

I thought u had some coruse or something.. :O where did you start? i always wanted to code php :(
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 01:30 AM

* Jhrono is going to buy a book about php to learn in the easter vacations....:D

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Val on 02-22-2005 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless

Well if you ever use msn messanger (yes you do) then you should know that if you chosse a display pciture that is biger then the small display box then it resizes well messanger plus froms should have the same thing but insted of just resizing it then i should let you pick how pic or small you want the picture to be resized but with a maxium size alwell

sory dont have time to proff read

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by ShawnZ on 02-22-2005 at 01:35 AM

YAY new forum engine! can't wait dz :P

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Concord Dawn on 02-22-2005 at 02:05 AM

You should honestly release this BB DZ. Call it the PlusBB. A Bulletin Board by Plus!. :P

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-22-2005 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
You talking about upgrading to MyBB Gold? Don't get too excited... :tongue:

As for the avatar resize feature: I'm basically done with it. I have it set up on my localhost and I've thrown about 150 random images of various sizes and types at it, and it worked better than I expected. :banana:

I'll probably implement it here within the next few days.
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Hank on 02-22-2005 at 05:07 AM

quote:
MyBB Gold is due out in the next couple of months (at least thats what i read on their forum)

prolly have to Pay for the Gold Edition though.

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-22-2005 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
O_o I doubt it. :p

If they charged, I'd have to find a way to steal a copy! (6) Oh wait, surfi visits here every day. :p
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Hank on 02-22-2005 at 05:22 AM

well usually if they keep this free  an the Gold Editions are always pay for software, , look at RealPlayer Basic whihc is freen then you got Gold, which you Pay for,  but i guess its a wait an see what they do,

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-22-2005 at 05:24 AM

quote:
well usually if they keep this free  an the Gold Editions are always pay for software, , look at RealPlayer Basic whihc is freen then you got Gold, which you Pay for,  but i guess its a wait an see what they do,
MyBB Gold is just a new version, not a special/premium product. There aren't going to be two current releases, one free and one not. ^o)
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Hank on 02-22-2005 at 05:26 AM

aww well in that case i guess thats ok , but isnt the one that mess.be is using a Trial but after that a pay for forum?  what if MyBB does the same,

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by surfichris on 02-22-2005 at 06:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
You should honestly release this BB DZ. Call it the PlusBB. A Bulletin Board by Plus!.
http://www.mybboard.com/eula.html ;)
quote:
Ha, no way! You can't be serious :dodgy:
quote:

aww well in that case i guess thats ok , but isnt the one that mess.be is using a Trial but after that a pay for forum?  what if MyBB does the same,
MyBB is not going commercial in any way or form. There will never be a trial and it will always be a free full product.
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Hank on 02-22-2005 at 06:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You talking about upgrading to MyBB Gold? Don't get too excited...

would be good to have a Gold Edition though, 1 or a few steps  better than mess.be crappy forums!!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
MyBB is not going commercial in any way or form. There will never be a trial and it will always be a free full product.

well thats good that it'll remain free

RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by ShawnZ on 02-22-2005 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
You talking about upgrading to MyBB Gold? Don't get too excited... :tongue:

even just updating to rc4 will be a good start :P
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by KeyStorm on 02-22-2005 at 11:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Oh! I recall DZ speaking bad words about gd... Could he be changing? ^^

Actually... I can't see how this may be really needed. Just stick to the rules, and if you want to have an avatar, use any editor to make it fit them.

However I always thought of doing a picture cropper/resizer in PHP could be funny.

* KeyStorm thinks 'Hm... something else to bloat in CBC', writes it down on a post-it and sticks it to his forehead.

gd: library and functions that allow image editing in PHP

Btw, some mod/admin would care to fix the title of this thread? (talking about uppercase) :rolleyes:
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by WDZ on 02-22-2005 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Oh! I recall DZ speaking bad words about gd... Could he be changing? ^^
I said bad things about it? I just didn't know it well until kinda recently. :p
quote:
Actually... I can't see how this may be really needed.
Well, less work for the mods. It would be very useful for people who don't know how to resize images themselves, or are just too lazy to do it. It could also save some disk space and bandwidth on the server... well, a little bit.
quote:
However I always thought of doing a picture cropper/resizer in PHP could be funny.
Funny? Would you resize an image then sit there and laugh at the result? :refuck: ;)
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by Hank on 02-23-2005 at 01:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well, less work for the mods. It would be very useful for people who don't know how to resize images themselves, or are just too lazy to do it. It could also save some disk space and bandwidth on the server... well, a little bit.

quote:

you talking on behalf urself there DZ the Lazy bit? :P
RE: AVATAR IN FORMS [SUGESTION] by KeyStorm on 02-23-2005 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

quote:
Funny? Would you resize an image then sit there and laugh at the result? :refuck: ;)

Oh, yeah 8-|(H)

Oh, spam :spam: