Shoutbox

Server Doubt - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Server Doubt (/showthread.php?tid=38823)

Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 07:10 PM

I am putting the option of making a server at home...i've been reading about it...this is my doubt..like i have a pc working has a server(windows 2003 p exmp) and apache server running...in the www folder i make like examplesite.net...will that site automaticly appear on the web if i go to it?

RE: Stupid doubt but who cares? by L. Coyote on 02-19-2005 at 07:23 PM

Uh... No.

You need to register the domain (at godaddy.com for example), assign the DNSs to it (so you goe somewhere when you type the address) and get a static IP (from your ISP). Then you'll have to stay connected to the internet all the time so your site is online.

In Argentina, .com.ar are free, but in most countries you have to pay for .com.br, .com.co, etc. And of course, top level domains are not free (.com, .net, etc.).

RE: Stupid doubt but who cares? by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 07:35 PM

k so after i register the domain..(excuse my noobishness im just looking for info) i'll get something like www.examplesite.(extension) that connects to my IP right?what if i want to host site within my server?like if i want to sell hosting?

RE: Stupid doubt but who cares? by L. Coyote on 02-19-2005 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
k so after i register the domain..(excuse my noobishness im just looking for info) i'll get something like www.examplesite.(extension) that connects to my IP right?what if i want to host site within my server?like if i want to sell hosting?
That I don't know. All I know about having a server is what I said before (I once wanted to do the same), it's all I investigated.

Have you looked in Google?

Edit: I've found this on the web. I dunno if it'll be useful, but you can learn something. (Y)
Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 07:47 PM

Yep i have been seing a site..yep it also mentoins godaddy.com lol...well i'll keep my doubt here if someone knows it...WDZ or some of the others know 4 sure...

Remembering my doubt :

i'll get something like www.examplesite.(extension) that connects to my IP right?what if i want to host site within my server?like if i want to sell hosting?

RE: Server Doubt by DJeX on 02-19-2005 at 08:07 PM

Jonny, what speed is your internet? You will need a good solid fast internet connection to handle the server load.

RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 08:17 PM

mine is crappy for a server ( 512kb/s / 128 Kb/s)...will 8mbps/400 kb/s handle the job?with 50 gb of bandwith...btw if i start selling hosting it will be all legal and stuff with contracts so i'll reserve the right to suspend sites if the server maximum bandwith goes to 80 %(40 gb)...but can you answer the other question please?...how can i host other sites with my server but not like www.examplesite.(extension)/(subdomain) but www.examplesitehostedwithserver.(extension)...

Oh just remembered..can i do like...
www.(hostedsite).(myserverdomain).(extension) ? that would pwn!!!

RE: Server Doubt by Ezra on 02-19-2005 at 09:27 PM

with my webhosting i can make subdomains. Guess you could do that. so no www. but http://ezra.example.nl

RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 10:53 PM

but like i'm trying to do my own hosting...my doubt is with the domain..how can i add more "sites" like :

(hostedsite).(myhostingdomain).(extension) - Like

Msghelp.phs.com

how can i do that only having this domain -

(myhostingdomain).(extension)

RE: Server Doubt by Chris.1 on 02-19-2005 at 11:15 PM

You'll need to setup some nameservers - to point your domain name from your registrar to your computer. For this, I recommend BIND or another DNS program.

To setup subdomains - this can be done in BIND. You will then just need to setup virtual hosts in Apache's config.

RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 11:19 PM

another doubt apache doesnt to be running speacialy in windows 2000/2003/linux or bsd...it can in XP cant it?

RE: Server Doubt by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 11:23 PM

quote:
another doubt apache doesnt to be running speacialy in windows 2000/2003/linux or bsd...it can in XP cant it?
I'm currently running Apache 2.0.53 under WinXP Home and it works great.
RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-19-2005 at 11:27 PM

thanks people;)...in 4,5 months you'll be earing stuff about my web hosting company :D...Lets hope i'll have some profits...it's gotta be all legalized and paying taxes and stuff..

RE: Server Doubt by Ezra on 02-20-2005 at 01:00 AM

I guess, i'll be buyin my hosting from you then :P

RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 01:06 AM

:D but ur from NL...

* Jhrono is thinking how many time would the contract be going around post offices around europe if there wasnt air mail :lol:

RE: Server Doubt by L. Coyote on 02-20-2005 at 01:09 AM

quote:
:D but ur from NL...

* johny is thinking how many time would the contract be going around post offices around europe if there wasnt air mail :lol:
You don't need a contract. Just a TOS and PayPal.
RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 03:39 PM

can anybody explain  me once again how can i have various domains in the same IP?

I mean i'll only have on IP :S...how can i do that...like...
(i thinking of buying a domain for my clients see and host it in my server got it?but i only have one Ip so that's my doubt, how to host various domains in one single ip...)
[hostedsitenumberone].[extension] - IP : 213.13.249.165 (example)
[hostedsitenumbertwo].[extension] - IP : 213.13.249.165
[hostedsitenumberthree].[extension] -  IP : 213.13.249.165

RE: Server Doubt by saralk on 02-20-2005 at 04:37 PM

i think you would need to install something like plesk, or ensim.

And then if you want to automate it, you would need to use a script.

Talk to me on msn, if you want help.

Also, what speed internet connection do you have, you can't expect to start a hosting company on a 300k upload or something :/

RE: Server Doubt by segosa on 02-20-2005 at 06:40 PM

Why are you trying to set up a hosting company if you have no idea whatsoever *-)

I personally wouldn't buy hosting from someone who knows as little as yourself...:^)

RE: Server Doubt by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
I personally wouldn't buy hosting from someone who knows as little as yourself...

I'll learn with time...no one expects me to host microsoft site...The server(if in time we need more we'll get more) will be on all year...
RE: Server Doubt by Chris.1 on 02-21-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
can anybody explain  me once again how can i have various domains in the same IP?

I mean i'll only have on IP :S...how can i do that...like...
(i thinking of buying a domain for my clients see and host it in my server got it?but i only have one Ip so that's my doubt, how to host various domains in one single ip...)
[hostedsitenumberone].[extension] - IP : 213.13.249.165 (example)
[hostedsitenumbertwo].[extension] - IP : 213.13.249.165
[hostedsitenumberthree].[extension] -  IP : 213.13.249.165

As I've already mentioned, and you've seemed to have ignored, you need to setup DNS to point to your server - then you can use the virtual host option in Apache to share one IP with many sites.
RE: Server Doubt by L. Coyote on 02-21-2005 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Why are you trying to set up a hosting company if you have no idea whatsoever *-)

I personally wouldn't buy hosting from someone who knows as little as yourself...:^)
Might as well get a reseller account in another hosting company. :P Too much trouble for a "simple" hosting.

quote:
I'll learn with time...no one expects me to host microsoft site...The server(if in time we need more we'll get more) will be on all year...

RE: Server Doubt by Concord Dawn on 02-21-2005 at 03:12 AM

You should work backwards. Know how to build pages in HTML and another language, such as PHP. Then learn how to integrate them into a server, such as Apache and MySQL. Then learn the DNS stuff. It's better to work backwards then learn the whole thing and have NFC what is going on. Oh and btw there's a Frontpage Server Extensions patch for Apache that you might like, Google for it.

RE: Server Doubt by Chris.1 on 02-21-2005 at 11:57 AM

As Leo said, I would recommend just buying yourself a reseller on another hosting companies server. If you're interested, I can arrange a reseller plan at a reasonable price on the servers I manage.