Shoutbox

[split] why use Windows Messenger 5? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [split] why use Windows Messenger 5? (/showthread.php?tid=38844)

RE: Adding emoticons to Windows Messenger by Supersonicdarky on 02-17-2005 at 09:59 PM

why would you use 5?

RE: Adding emoticons to Windows Messenger by waneran on 02-17-2005 at 10:03 PM

I only use Windows Messenger at work.  I tried to install MSN Messenger.  However, Microsoft does not allow Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger to be both installed at the same time.

The problem is that, even though I have adminstrator rights to my machine, I am unable to uninstall Windows Messenger.  So,  I'm left with trying to find out if there is any possible way to get my own emoticons installed.  :(

RE: Adding emoticons to Windows Messenger by Goshi on 02-17-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Microsoft does not allow Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger to be both installed at the same time.

It's new? I've both...and users of msn messenger cannot use all features if they don't have windows messenger

And RunDll32advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection%windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove doesn't works?
RE: Adding emoticons to Windows Messenger by _Humphreys on 02-17-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by waneran
However, Microsoft does not allow Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger to be both installed at the same time.

You can on any versions. Tell me what it says when you try to install msn.
RE: Adding emoticons to Windows Messenger by waneran on 02-17-2005 at 10:27 PM

When I run the install program for MSN Messenger 6.2, I get the following pop up window:

"We have detected Windows Messenger on your computer.  To install MSN Messenger, you must first remove Windows Messenger and the run this set up again.  To remover Windows Messenger, click the Add/Remove Programs icon in your Windows Control Panel."

RE: [split] why use Windows Messenger 5? by WDZ on 02-19-2005 at 10:49 PM

Thread split. Sunshine posted the following...

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by waneran
When I run the install program for MSN Messenger 6.2, I get the following pop up window:

"We have detected Windows Messenger on your computer.  To install MSN Messenger, you must first remove Windows Messenger and the run this set up again.  To remover Windows Messenger, click the Add/Remove Programs icon in your Windows Control Panel."
I've never heard of this, make sure you download MSN Messenger from the official MSN website.

Windows Messenger should not be uninstalled, f.e. remote assistance and whiteboard (in MSN Messenger) rely on it.