Shoutbox

just a question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: just a question (/showthread.php?tid=38890)

just a question by michaelruffner2 on 02-20-2005 at 04:05 PM

what will happen if someone doesnt activate windows xp? just wondering...

RE: just a question by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 04:11 PM

You wont be able to get into windows....well try to activate it or take another shortcut;)

RE: just a question by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 04:11 PM

You start your PC and it stays in bios mode I assume.

RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:12 PM

it will stop workin (i think) unless its been patched or sum8, but thats ilegal and shouldn't be done

RE: just a question by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 04:15 PM

I've had it like that...activate it by phone it's free..but you'll make a 6 mins call...like it enters the login screen(in Win XP) and when you click it says windows needs to be activated, do you want to activate now?

[Yes]  [No]

If you make yes it will give you some options (by phone, by net and another one).If you press No it will go back to Login Screen...

RE: just a question by CookieRevised on 02-20-2005 at 04:15 PM

Even if you're able to use XP because you patched it or whatever, you never will be able to update it. This means your XP will be VERY VERY unsecure. For this alone I wouldn't even think of using an illegal XP...

RE: just a question by saralk on 02-20-2005 at 04:21 PM

actually, thats not true, you can still update it. But microsoft are slowly phasing out updates for illegal windows users.

RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
actually, thats not true, you can still update it. But microsoft are slowly phasing out updates for illegal windows users.

no u can't update it !!!

i kno ;) (well my bro knows ;))
RE: just a question by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For this alone I wouldn't even think of using an illegal XP...

Really Cookie as my firend got a copy of XP and was able to update fine with everything.
RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For this alone I wouldn't even think of using an illegal XP...

Really Cookie as my firend got a copy of XP and was able to update fine with everything.

as long as u have a real key for XP, then u can install it off a copied CD and as long as u put a real key in then u should have no problems
RE: just a question by saralk on 02-20-2005 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

no u can't update it !!!

I thaught you could only get the critical updates?

RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:40 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

no u can't update it !!!

I thaught you could only get the critical updates?

u can't get any updates, well he couldn't
RE: just a question by Jhrono on 02-20-2005 at 04:41 PM

I cant update cause i cracked my windows activation...but it was dumm...i phoned to the number got the key inserted the key and 'logged in...after the next boot it asked again for the key...(written in a paper by then)...but i got sick of writing it so a guy(yep he know who:D) got me a crack...but my copy is legal..

RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
I cant update cause i cracked my windows activation...but it was dumm...i phoned to the number got the key inserted the key and 'logged in...after the next boot it asked again for the key...(written in a paper by then)...but i got sick of writing it so a guy(yep he know who) got me a crack... but my copy is legal..

its not legal if your using a crack or a fake key !!!

altho microsoft wouldn't mind so much if you don't have a legal cd and proof you can't use the legit key

altho u still won't be able to update, so maybe you should connect microsoft and tell them wots happened and they maybe able to give u a new key or something
RE: just a question by saralk on 02-20-2005 at 04:44 PM

actually, can't you use those update CDs that microsoft releases every so often?

RE: just a question by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:47 PM

quote:
actually, can't you use those update CDs that microsoft releases every so often?

no !! well wot happned on my bro's pc was that he downloaded the update and then when it came to run it, it said something like "this isn't a legal copy of xp, the set up will now close" (well something like that, can't really remeber)

but the point was that it downloaded the update, it just won't let him run it. so i guess the cd updates will be the same
RE: just a question by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 04:53 PM

As I said on my friends pc he has a copied version with the key for it and he can download w/e.

RE: just a question by CookieRevised on 02-20-2005 at 05:03 PM

Look people, believe what you want, as I said and saralk said, you will NOT be able to update XP fully, and as time goes by, MS will block updates for illegal versions more and more....

Be the smartass, and use illegal versions if you want, but don't complain that stuff doesn't work anymore or you got some virus sneaking thru or whatever...
(and don't complain if the prices are rising to buy legal versions, as it is exactly because of the illegal stuff that makes prices rise)

:dodgy:

RE: just a question by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 05:31 PM

I don't think any one was complaining Cookie I just said that updates worked for some illegal versions. That key thing does my head in I mean what would you do if you didn't have the net. *-) Luckily my new pc came with XP installed. :)

RE: just a question by CookieRevised on 02-20-2005 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
I mean what would you do if you didn't have the net
Then you're indeed pretty much screwed up in these days. Although MS provides ways to update without the use of the net. But it is just like using Win95, everybody eventually has to choose directions, keeping up with new technology, or staying with the old and getting serieus behind and even cut off. This is (unfortunatly for some) just the way it is with (don't) having internet access.
RE: just a question by segosa on 02-20-2005 at 06:15 PM

This is why Corporate Edition rules. No activation.