Shoutbox

coolwebsearch - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: coolwebsearch (/showthread.php?tid=38891)

coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 04:05 PM

well everytime my computer starts up microsoft antispyware comes up with a red alert saying that coolwebsearch url search hook is trying to install so click remove it cleans it then when i start windows up again it comes up again

i have scanned using mcafee, adaware,search and destory and microsoft anispyware  but they can't find nothing

is it false

screenshot below

RE: coolwebsearch by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 04:07 PM

have u got smiley central installed on your computer ??? uninstall that and then remove coolwebsearch

also do u have spybot search and destroy installed ?? open that up go to settings click iqnore files, then go down to coolwebsearch and make sure that it unticked !! then run it and it should remove it

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 04:08 PM

no i have nothing like that and also my computer doesn't seem slow or nothing

quote:
Originally posted by toddy

also do u have spybot search and destroy installed ?? open that up go to settings click iqnore files, then go down to coolwebsearch and make sure that it unticked !! then run it and it should remove it

everytype of cool websearch is unticked

and just done another scan can't find anything
RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-20-2005 at 05:05 PM

Download CoolWeb Shredder (CWShredder):

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/CWShredder.shtml

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Download CoolWeb Shredder (CWShredder):

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Sp...s/CWShredder.shtml
thanks but

nothing was found
RE: coolwebsearch by toddy on 02-20-2005 at 05:31 PM

well don't forget microsoft antispyware is only a beta (well think it still is) so it mite be buggy still

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
well don't forget microsoft antispyware is only a beta (well think it still is) so it mite be buggy still

yeh thats what i was thinking

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
is it false

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-20-2005 at 06:58 PM

Then download HijackThis (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Sp...s/HijackThis.shtml).

It let's you check all the startup programs and regkeys. There you will be able to remove the startup of CWS. If you don't how it works, just do a scan, save the log and post it here.

RE: coolwebsearch by Fraisie on 02-20-2005 at 06:58 PM

Have you looked into your Add/Remove Programs ? Maybe it's there !

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-20-2005 at 07:01 PM

CoolWebSearch is not just adware you can remove :). It's hard to get rid of...

RE: coolwebsearch by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 07:08 PM

I had this before and couldn't get rid of it so I screwed it's reg files and it didn't survive.

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-20-2005 at 07:15 PM

With Hijack This you can see all the startup register keys and IE registry keys and you can delete / reset them to defaults. It's much easier then screwing with the register yourself :wink:

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool

I had this before and couldn't get rid of it so I screwed it's reg files and it didn't survive.

do you no the reg file paths?
RE: coolwebsearch by _Humphreys on 02-20-2005 at 07:22 PM

I searched for instances of it deleted the files. Then went into the reg for an hour and deleted anything suspicious.

DON'T TRY THIS I only did it as I was a n00b.

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-20-2005 at 07:25 PM

Carltos Cool.. you forgot to say how you should do it then :wink:.

Chris100... Just follow my advice:

quote:
Then download HijackThis (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/HijackThis.shtml).

It let's you check all the startup programs and regkeys. There you will be able to remove the startup of CWS. If you don't how it works, just do a scan, save the log and post it here.

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-20-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Chris100... Just follow my advice:

quote:Originally posted by Markus
    Then download HijackThis (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/HijackThis.shtml).

i ran it and i can't see coolwebsearch entires i think this is some bug or sumin
RE: coolwebsearch by M73A on 02-20-2005 at 10:31 PM

ARGH i hate this thing. loads of my contacts had it....it kept coming up some poxy thing advertising 'my buddy icons' (everytime you send a message after closing a conversation) and it comes up as coolwebsearch in the add/remove programs thing

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-21-2005 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
i ran it and i can't see coolwebsearch entires i think this is some bug or sumin
Chris100... the entries are of course not called coolwebsearch.exe etc. but they look like windows processes. Just post the log here and I'll tell ya which entries to select and fix.
RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-21-2005 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
d it comes up as coolwebsearch in the add/remove programs thing

well i was looking about in add/remove programs and i found this (see screenshot) but there is an error trying to remove it

RE: coolwebsearch by Sunshine on 02-21-2005 at 04:31 PM

Maybe this will help: mysearch uninstall

You may also wanna run TweakNow RegCleaner.

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-23-2005 at 03:31 PM

i am starting to notice that programs aren't responding fast and the computers slow

could someone tell me what process shoulded be running in this screenshot:

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-23-2005 at 08:48 PM

Dude?? Don't you read my posts or something?

quote:

I checked ur list of processes and it's all clean. Just one thing. Check if smss.exe is in the windows\system32 directory, if it is, it's save.
RE: coolwebsearch by lizard.boy on 02-23-2005 at 10:01 PM

if you want to know if a running process is legit you can use Prcoess explorer and if you see any processes that dont have a proper company name you can google them. (look for other suspicious things too).

@Markus: how hard is hijackthis to use?

RE: coolwebsearch by user13774 on 02-24-2005 at 07:46 AM

Well.. it's not that hard. But it can't detect bad entries itself. You have to check/google for every process yourself to know if you should fix the entry.

See this screenshot.
[Image: 1108573068.png]

RE: coolwebsearch by user35870 on 02-24-2005 at 05:21 PM

thanks markus i found the url hook  and fixed them with hijack this and removed it no popups anymore from ms anitspware