Shoutbox

MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) (/showthread.php?tid=38931)

MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 08:18 AM

As you might know, there is a virus on the internet, sending .pif filed-links via MSN.

I came up with the idea to create some kind of MSNProtect, this one removes the hyperlink, makes it inactive (for example, changes .pif into .###)

Maybe it can turn out in a overal link blocker, to block out links from people you don't trust or don't want to receive :)

I don't know if people are interested in this idea, so let me know if i should bother trying..

The poll is active for 14 days!

Edit:
I changed "PifBlocker" into "MSN Protect", i guess this name covers it's content better :)

RE: PifBlock by user13774 on 02-21-2005 at 08:51 AM

I think it won't work as a plugin, because everyone will have to install it to be 'protected', and people who install plugins are mostly experienced enough not to open .pif links.

So maybe an option in Plus to automaticly block .exe and .pif links?

RE: PifBlock by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 08:53 AM

That last thing would be an option,indeed.. but if i receive exe's from some, i just want to accept those... So that means that we need some kind of whitelist/blacklist thingy..

But everyone who can click a setup can install the plugin... At first I was thinking of a stand-alone program that integrates with MSN, but using Plus is better i guess...

RE: PifBlock by RaceProUK on 02-21-2005 at 08:56 AM

I like this idea a lot! Especially if you publicise it well enough.

RE: PifBlock by user13774 on 02-21-2005 at 09:02 AM

Well... at least .pif links then :tongue:.
I just noticed that msgplus wordfiltering cannot change for example pif to *** in a clickable url.

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
But everyone who can click a setup can install the plugin...
Yeah ok, but still there are more people who have msgplus without plugins than with plugins.

But it should also disable .pif file transfers then, not only urls.
RE: PifBlock by John Anderton on 02-21-2005 at 09:14 AM

I voted for "Well, i don't really know" well cause i dont really okow :P

RE: PifBlock by Chrono on 02-21-2005 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
I just noticed that msgplus wordfiltering cannot change for example pif to *** in a clickable url.
i guess that's because you wouldnt want an url to be filtered... i mean, if someone sends you an url, Whats the point of filtering it if then you wont be able to open the page? :P
RE: PifBlock by user13774 on 02-21-2005 at 11:42 AM

Yeah Chrono, that's true, but in case of the Bropia virus, it would be good to be able to 'filter' the phrase '.pif'

RE: PifBlock by Edna Mode on 02-21-2005 at 01:44 PM

sounds like a good idea

RE: PifBlock by John Anderton on 02-21-2005 at 02:22 PM

Oh ok i understood after reading chrono's post :$
* John Anderton changes his vote to yes cant change his vote :'( 8o|
But i feel that if the extention is .pif then they should not only hide it but also kinda give us a warning.
Keep ur Av's on (Y)

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 04:36 PM

I changed the topic into "MSN Protect", it covers it's contents better then PifBlock :)

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Millenium_edition on 02-21-2005 at 05:06 PM

that's a crap idea tbh. it's like basing on filesize :rolleyes:
you can't judge on a file without actually opening it. and, ffs, get a virus scanner :-/

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 05:33 PM

The user can setup what kind of links he wants to block/filter..

Pif's are 99,9% bad and evil....

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Millenium_edition on 02-21-2005 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
The user can setup what kind of links he wants to block/filter..

Pif's are 99,9% bad and evil....
and 0.1% good :rolleyes:

*sighs*

why do you think the msn team allowed exe's to be transferred? right.
RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 05:38 PM

As i said before, this whole idea is in the stage of ideas..

You can put up every file or ext. in this list, and maybe even people who you trust you can add to the whitelist, so their files are "safe" and you will receive it just as you do normal...

It doesn't really check the contents, you must use a virusscanner for that..

Maybe it can check known filenames & filesizes or contents of pif, bat, com etc...

I don't know yet

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by x2zen on 02-21-2005 at 05:41 PM

Why is it so hard simply not accepting files you havnt asked for, from people you dont know, files you dont know what is, and getting an antivirus program.

Common sense

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 02-21-2005 at 06:58 PM

Not everyone has common sense..

I have received a LOT of those pif files, and the most people in my list aren't noobs..

And the file, well... Bropia sends it self to all MSN Contact persons, mostly trusted persons...

And pif just looks like gif :p

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Dark Link on 02-21-2005 at 09:03 PM

I think people should be responsible for their PCs and don't allow viruses to enter in it.

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Concord Dawn on 02-21-2005 at 09:19 PM

Well I want a brand new, top of the line PC, but that just isn't gonna happen.

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by matty on 02-21-2005 at 09:55 PM

I have decided that in my Plugin for Organizing Recieved files that there will be an option to auto delete specific extensions and organize on load. Also the entire plugin is being recoded at the moment so don't expect it any time soon.

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Concord Dawn on 02-21-2005 at 11:29 PM

Name?

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 03-11-2005 at 08:56 AM

Update:

I started working on it....
I'll try to release it somewhere this weekend

No Guarantees though
Edit:

Some ideas:
- Block the user (optional to configure)
- Close the window (if possible, optional)
- Notify the user of a virus + sending a link to a removal tool (optional)
- Updateable blocklist of "bad" files via an Update Function (optional)
- Manually adding files & warnings (optional)
- Displaying an alert-toast on receiving a "bad" link to make you aware (optional)

Questions or ideas? Let me know :)

Edit2:
I saw it isn't possible to check for incoming messages in the current Plus! api, i hope there is a workaround for or Patchou has a solution for this...

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Dane on 03-13-2005 at 04:12 AM

Hello Sypher,

I am already working on this plugin, it will use Virus Definitions and Outbreak Alert to inform users of new threats.  And it uses 2 sets of Virus Definitions, Web Based (when connected to the net) and offline based (updated every time you log on the net), and provides a System Tray Icon that you can doubleclick for your security status.

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by matty on 03-13-2005 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Hello Sypher,

I am already working on this plugin, it will use Virus Definitions and Outbreak Alert to inform users of new threats.  And it uses 2 sets of Virus Definitions, Web Based (when connected to the net) and offline based (updated every time you log on the net), and provides a System Tray Icon that you can doubleclick for your security status.
And as Dane knows and has been experiencing. My Plugin, although somewhat buggy does an excellent job of this. I have sent the Plugin to a FEW people just to look for bugs before I release it to everyone.
RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Dane on 03-13-2005 at 05:22 AM

Yes.  Me and Matty's plugin work in generally the same way, the exception is mine uses Virus Definitions and alerts you of new threats and Matty's uses extensions.

RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by riahc4 on 03-13-2005 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Hello Sypher,

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
Hello Sypher,

And as Dane knows and has been experiencing. My Plugin, although somewhat buggy does an excellent job of this. I have sent the Plugin to a FEW people just to look for bugs before I release it to everyone.
quote:
Yes.  Me and Matty's plugin work in generally the same way, the exception is mine uses Virus Definitions and alerts you of new threats and Matty's uses extensions.

OK It doesnt matter...The more plugin options for one feature the better!

Keep working on it Sypher! Ill download it as soon as its released. It sounds great.
RE: MSN Protect (Former PifBlock topic) by Sypher on 03-14-2005 at 07:53 AM

Well if it's already done... Guess it wont be interesting anymore...