Shoutbox

Msg Plus Rummors - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Msg Plus Rummors (/showthread.php?tid=39019)

Msg Plus Rummors by Val on 02-23-2005 at 03:28 AM

Hey about three years ago i heard about msg plus (i really dont know when) and i downloaded it then a couple of days later lots of people said(like my sister and dad) it gave you viruses or stuff like that such as spyware and i was like to my self i couldent have done. Also there were alot of quincedincis like frezzeing then going back to normal comuter trouble so im asking was this true or was it some weird rumors people just started so no one would use plus

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Purity on 02-23-2005 at 03:42 AM

It gives you an optional sponsor, it's not spyware.  It's only support message plus, just remember that you have the option of installing it or not when you install msgplus.

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Concord Dawn on 02-23-2005 at 03:45 AM

The optional sponsor is there to give Patchou, the creator of Plus! some money for all his hard work.

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Caboose on 02-23-2005 at 04:18 AM

Those rumors are most likely thought up by people who jumped to conclusions and assumed that it installed 'spyware', when really they probably don't even know the difference between spyware and adware.

Poor Messenger Plus :(... *gives cookie*

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by L. Coyote on 02-23-2005 at 04:52 AM

An advice for many users:

Always read the installation screens. If you mindlessly click "next", you'll install anything that can be harmful for your computer.

Here's a screenshot of the sponsor agreement:
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

As you can see, there is no place for rumors. The installation process of the sponsor won't happen if you refuse. (Y)

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by aNILEator on 02-23-2005 at 11:33 PM

I actually always read the installing scripts and clicky buttons, I tell you what it takes about an hour to read and understand some of Microsoft's EULA's :S

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Striker on 02-24-2005 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by val3006
Hey about three years ago i heard about msg plus (i really dont know when) and i downloaded it then a couple of days later lots of people said(like my sister and dad) it gave you viruses or stuff like that such as spyware and i was like to my self i couldent have done. Also there were alot of quincedincis like frezzeing then going back to normal comuter trouble so im asking was this true or was it some weird rumors people just started so no one would use plus

i really dont think this person is talking about plus! today.. rather 3 years ago and there were no ads back then

but it could be poor english
RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Concord Dawn on 02-24-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
I actually always read the installing scripts and clicky buttons, I tell you what it takes about an hour to read and understand some of Microsoft's EULA's :S

You shouldn't really need to read the whole EULA, just read the first couple of lines to see what is being installed and who it's by.
RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Edna Mode on 02-24-2005 at 12:17 AM

although, it was weird, coz last year when i first installed it i couldnt sign in after a couple of days of having it, and then i uninstalled it and re installed it and it was fine

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Val on 02-24-2005 at 01:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
It gives you an optional sponsor, it's not spyware.  It's only support message plus, just remember that you have the option of installing it or not when you install msgplus.

I i have msg plus but the thing is like Three years ago   msg plus had alot of rummors of skrewing up computer ruining files basicly a bad program (that was the rummor i think) so was this true or not?

Sory about the bad grammer before in the other post  :P
RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Joe on 02-24-2005 at 02:36 AM

The only thing that Messenger Plus! does that may "skrew up" your computer is install an optional sponsor program... just make sure that if/when you install it, you know what you are saying you agree to...

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Kafman on 02-24-2005 at 02:48 AM

Messenger Plus! does not "skrew up" your computer, the only thing that could skrew the computer is using Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and similar programs to remove the sponsor program

btw, nobody recomends him to read the Get the Facts page... :P

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by lopardo on 02-24-2005 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
btw, nobody recomends him to read the Get the Facts page... :P
Kaf, the GTF page doesn't work anymore. :P

:o Why did it disappear? :undecided:
RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Kafman on 02-24-2005 at 03:00 AM

don't know but in the spanish forums we translated that page, and it was too hard, :P, hopefully that page haven't been removed yet...

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Val on 02-24-2005 at 03:16 AM

OK sory for the rudeness but you guys dont understand wat i am saying here wat i am asking is plez read this very carfully: IN THE PAST DID MSG PLUS DO HARMFULL THINGS I REPEAT PAST, YEARS AGO? Im sory for this rudness it is just that you people donot understand wat i am trying to say i know that msg plus has the optional sponcer program but i want to know did msg in the PAST skrew up anything form porgrams to files?

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Concord Dawn on 02-24-2005 at 03:55 AM

No it didn't. The sponsor program was put in in version 2 (I think) in order to let Patchou continue making Plus!. This optional sponsor program is the only thing that Plus! installs besides itself, and it is very easy to remove.

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by lopardo on 02-24-2005 at 04:37 AM

I'm a long time Plus user (since version 1) and I can assure you it's always been harmless, I've never experienced any trouble due to the use of Messenger Plus! :)

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Val on 02-25-2005 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I'm a long time Plus user (since version 1) and I can assure you it's always been harmless, I've never experienced any trouble due to the use of Messenger Plus! :)

o ok thank you now i can prove to my friends that msg plus never skrewed anything up (here comes the bet pay off...... $50...JK)

Anyways thanks for all your help

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by s7a5 on 02-25-2005 at 12:14 AM

quote:
I i have msg plus but the thing is like Three years ago   msg plus had alot of rummors of skrewing up computer ruining files basicly a bad program (that was the rummor i think) so was this true or not?

3 years ago Plus didnt have sponsor and it wasnt as popuylar as it is now

RE: Msg Plus Rummors by Val on 02-25-2005 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by distorted
quote:
I i have msg plus but the thing is like Three years ago   msg plus had alot of rummors of skrewing up computer ruining files basicly a bad program (that was the rummor i think) so was this true or not?

3 years ago Plus didnt have sponsor and it wasnt as popuylar as it is now

I wasent talking about any sponcer porgrams or anything i ment that did msg plus ever harm your computer in any way (again not the sponcer program)

i have done this in the other form sory