Shoutbox

Overnight crash? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Overnight crash? (/showthread.php?tid=39056)

Overnight crash? by Ginger on 02-24-2005 at 02:22 AM

Sorry i know this isnt going to be technical AT ALL i'll just describe it the best i can..

Im lookin for sum help concerning my other computer which is just shits atm.  Overnight it seems to have crashed.  Everytime i click on the start button, my computer freezes, more often than not it freezes as soon as i turn it on.  I virus scanned once and it removed whatever was on it but the problem persists. It says i still have my documents but i cant open them or even try and save them to a disk so i can reboot everything. 

PLEASE HELP .. im quite sure i have a virus but any advice is appreciated :)

RE: Overnight crash? by lopardo on 02-24-2005 at 02:36 AM

What Windows version do you have? And what antivirus do you have? Update your antivirus definitions and rescan your PC.

RE: Overnight crash? by Caboose on 02-24-2005 at 02:42 AM

I think the best thing to do would be to boot into Safe Mode, THEN scan for viruses. In Safe Mode, no startup programs are actually started up, hence rendering the virus useless. To boot into Safe Mode:

- Restart your computer and press F8 rapidly (or just hold it down, but I've never tried that yet :P)
- Some options should appear soon. Stop pressing F8, and choose 'Safe Mode', then wait for everything to load.

I hope this helps :)

RE: Overnight crash? by lopardo on 02-24-2005 at 02:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
In Safe Mode, no startup programs are actually started up, hence rendering the virus useless.
That actually depends on how the virus starts itself up... If it infects system files, it will start even in safe mode.
RE: Overnight crash? by SikStyles on 02-24-2005 at 02:47 AM

do an ad-aware search and spybot search too

RE: RE: Overnight crash? by Caboose on 02-24-2005 at 03:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
That actually depends on how the virus starts itself up... If it infects system files, it will start even in safe mode.

Well, that's true... I never thought of that. But it's worth a shot though.

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
do an ad-aware search and spybot search too
I would actually recommend Microsoft's AntiSpyware. Tests have proven that it finds more spyware then either of those :)
RE: Overnight crash? by Concord Dawn on 02-24-2005 at 03:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
I would actually recommend Microsoft's AntiSpyware. Tests have proven that it finds more spyware then either of those :)

But also finds things that aren't spyware, such as Plus! :(
RE: Overnight crash? by Caboose on 02-24-2005 at 04:11 AM

True, but just set it to 'Always Ignore' and you're good to go. That's the only false detection I've seen so far :)

RE: Overnight crash? by lopardo on 02-24-2005 at 04:34 AM

More results don't mean it's better... More accurate results would mean it's better, and it still gives false warnings... So, I wouldn't recommend it...

RE: Overnight crash? by Purity on 02-24-2005 at 05:38 AM

Erm, this was kind of the same issue I had, Whatever my download folder was for limewire/warez...That folder wouldn't open afterwards.... and I had a whole diff partition for that shit, now that I have a new computer I don't have to worry about it....
But I remembering fixing My Documents, I just forget how, sorry.