Shoutbox

NTL + Router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: NTL + Router (/showthread.php?tid=39067)

NTL + Router by Ansette on 02-24-2005 at 11:40 AM

Hey I was considering using a router in my network and as u may have guessed my ISP is NTL... does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so is there anything I need to know?

RE: NTL + Router by toddy on 02-24-2005 at 11:58 AM

you'll have to give more info !! do u connect through a Standalone cable modem or Digital set top box

if its the latter then i'm not sure its possible :dodgy: ntl

basicly you just need to either find out your username and password, or find out your ip if u have a static one. then input either into the router, follow the instructions that come with the router on how to set up the rest

RE: NTL + Router by Ansette on 02-24-2005 at 12:04 PM

oh sorry, yes i have a standard ntl cable modem...

but on the other point i dont recall any username/password as i have forever avoided using the setup program... simply the drivers that came with the cd...

RE: NTL + Router by toddy on 02-24-2005 at 12:05 PM

well u need to find them out, so that u can put then into the router. (don't kno much about ntl, so not sure how u can find them out. i guess ring them up)

RE: NTL + Router by Wabz on 02-24-2005 at 12:52 PM

Erm simple!  NTL doesn't use usernames and passwords.  Use a network cable to connect the modem into a router (Must be straight through i.e. all the wires in the same order at both ends)

Set the external port (the one connected to the modem)  to accept a DHCP address (basically it aquires the external  IP address from the ISP)  now configure the internal router i.e. the other ports connected to local machines.  (You can do this manually or some routers have a DHCP server feature)  All the machines need to have a gateway set (This should be the routers internal IP address)

Hope this helps