Shoutbox

Custom Emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Custom Emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=39098)

Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 02-24-2005 at 10:00 PM

When u add emoticons, ie using mess.be's customess, where can you find the actual files of these emoticons in explorer.

Also, how do you add animated emoticons, is there a special file type??? cos i've tried adding gifs but they dont work

thanx in advance

RE: Custom Emoticons by Plik on 02-24-2005 at 10:09 PM

See CookieRevised's reply to Where does MSN store it's avatars? for infomation on where you CE's are stored.

You can only add animated emoticons in the messenger 7 beta, and then sometimes they have problems animating.

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 02-24-2005 at 10:13 PM

By adding gif files into beta 7, they should animate?? cos mine dont, also are the CEs menna be .dat files so u cant view them?

RE: Custom Emoticons by Plik on 02-24-2005 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by benjyrama
By adding gif files into beta 7, they should animate?? cos mine dont, also are the CEs menna be .dat files so u cant view them?

you can rename them to .png
and have you tried adding lots of animated ones? because sometimes some ones dont animate
RE: Custom Emoticons by RaceProUK on 02-24-2005 at 11:42 PM

With MSN7, I think you have to do more than just rename the file. I think the CEs and DPs are encrypted in some way.

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 03-14-2005 at 07:53 PM

Does any1 actually know how to add animated gif files as custom emoticons???

RE: Custom Emoticons by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 07:54 PM

Yar.. the same way as you add normal emoticons and as long as it is an animated gif it should work :) well mine do

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 03-14-2005 at 08:38 PM

hmmm, dat sux, cos wen i add mine, dey just stay motionless

RE: Custom Emoticons by Tasha on 03-14-2005 at 08:45 PM

With the animation, it may be the number of frames.. Sometimes this can cause a problem. Or try re-starting ur MSN then adding them again. Would you mind showing us the animated emoticons you are trying to add? :)

And there is something I have that can get emoticons and things off ur computer.. In the right file type. It was in a thread somewhere. I'll try to find the thread, otherwise i'll have to try and send you the program and hope it works. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Ah yes, I found it. :p

Read:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38216&page=1

:D

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 03-17-2005 at 08:17 PM

Well here is the file/files, couldn't find nething useful about adding emoticons...

RE: RE: Custom Emoticons by danprime on 03-18-2005 at 06:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by benjyrama
Well here is the file/files, couldn't find nething useful about adding emoticons...

I extended the number of frames it had to 15 (originally it was 5)

it seems like MSN 7 (on my Win2K setup) doesn't animate it if you leave the extension of the animated gif as .gif so you have to change it to something else like .png (even though it's still an animated gif).

I'm not sure how long they'll let this bug/feature slide through :P is there some security flaw to having animated gifs?
RE: Custom Emoticons by danprime on 03-18-2005 at 06:37 AM

Oops... forgot to attach file.

To use this;
Launch MSN 7
Tools -> My Emoticons
Click on the Create Button
Find wherever you saved this file with the "Find Image button"
put some alias for it like (doh)
And then click "ok"

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 03-19-2005 at 11:58 AM

is there sum way i can change these number of frames like u did,, do i need like a porgram cos i have a few more like that

RE: Custom Emoticons by danprime on 03-19-2005 at 06:09 PM

Personally, I use Fireworks (http://www.macromedia.com/) but that's because I know it well and probably overkill... I'm pretty sure there are a ton of other animated gif editors out there that are much lighter and more focused.

anyone have any suggestions?

RE: Custom Emoticons by danprime on 03-19-2005 at 06:11 PM

I was just told to check out the free (legally) "Microsoft Gif Animator"  by a friend: http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm

RE: Custom Emoticons by lopardo on 03-19-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
With MSN7, I think you have to do more than just rename the file. I think the CEs and DPs are encrypted in some way.
No, they aren't.

Check this out:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=410815]

quote:
Originally posted by danprime
I was just told to check out the free (legally) "Microsoft Gif Animator"  by a friend: http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm
That's too basic :-/

I use Fireworks and Photoshop for fixing animated emoticons when they don't work fine with Messenger (it seems to have some bug, it doesn't display some animated gifs correctly). Sometimes just loading and saving again a file with Fireworks fixes it :)

BTW, don't double post, use the [Image: edit.gif] button instead. :)
RE: Custom Emoticons by danprime on 03-19-2005 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo

That's too basic :-/

I use Fireworks and Photoshop for fixing animated emoticons when they don't work fine with Messenger (it seems to have some bug, it doesn't display some animated gifs correctly). Sometimes just loading and saving again a file with Fireworks fixes it :)

I tried that initially with the stupid.gif but it didn't seem to work. It only started to animate after adding a few still frames to it. :)

Like I said, I use Fireworks as well :) but perhaps some people don't want to go through that trouble or they want some alternative solutions- like open source solutions? or freeware?

RE: Custom Emoticons by benjyrama on 03-19-2005 at 08:51 PM

true, I dont and wont have access to fireworks, i'll try the free one

thanx