Shoutbox

Google Hacked - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Google Hacked (/showthread.php?tid=39104)

Google Hacked by DJeX on 02-24-2005 at 10:46 PM

quote:
From http://www.jeffeh.com
As of 6:20am this morning Google has reported that their system supporting the Keyhole software had been penetrated by a group calling themselves the Google-Units. The reason for the attack is still not 100% clear but on the groups website they have been quotes saying "the reign of Google has come to an end. It is time for the users to take back the web." The website has since been taken offline and little trace of the group can be found elsewhere on the web. I for one have seen, on some underground forums, people posting with the usernames google units and g-units with talk of Google takedown but I never suspected it could actually happen. They group also said they are planning on distributing the software to whomever wants it. This could lead to severe problems for Google and could also threaten other system such as their new e-mail client, G-mail. Is are email safe?

Story at: http://www.jeffeh.com

Any one else hear about this? :o
RE: Google Hacked by M73A on 02-24-2005 at 10:52 PM

bloody hell, someones got to google.

gmail unsafe???:O noooo, well actually dont use it for anything important so what the heck....

RE: Google Hacked by ddunk on 02-24-2005 at 11:01 PM

If this was true, it would be on big sites like slashdot/neowin which it's not.  I'm kinda skeptical on that story.

RE: Google Hacked by Purity on 02-24-2005 at 11:06 PM

I half believe it...But I dion't see how people could get through google like that...

RE: Google Hacked by .blade// on 02-24-2005 at 11:07 PM

Don't people have anything better to do with their time than cause others problems? :dodgy:

RE: Google Hacked by DJeX on 02-24-2005 at 11:08 PM

No one knows about it yet he told me, on msn. He said he got it off a web site, which he could not tell me about.

Humm I belive the story a bit because why would Google tell big sites like slashdot/neowin any ways. They don't want to look bad.

RE: Google Hacked by Jhrono on 02-24-2005 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
The website has since been taken offline

why is www.google.com online?:S...
RE: Google Hacked by siebe on 02-24-2005 at 11:13 PM

Google wouldn't need to tell  big sites like Neowin and Slashdot.. They have their own ways of getting information, you know ;-)

RE: Google Hacked by Moo on 02-24-2005 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
quote:
The website has since been taken offline

why is www.google.com online?:S...
The hackers' site is offline... not Google.
RE: Google Hacked by dotNorma on 02-24-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Humm I belive the story a bit because why would Google tell big sites like slashdot/neowin any ways. They don't want to look bad.

Neowin has people everywhere looking for information. If Google gets hacked, They will know wether google tells them or not. :-/
RE: Google Hacked by DJeX on 02-25-2005 at 12:07 AM

Maybe.... But the people that look for the info may have not heard about this yet.

RE: Google Hacked by Hank on 02-25-2005 at 12:14 AM

i dont think any email service is free from being attacked, look at hotmail, how many times has that been attacked, an even yahoo or other email services

RE: Google Hacked by DJeX on 02-25-2005 at 12:34 AM

True Demz, at one time every email system has been attacked. It's just one of those things thats popular in getting attacked.

RE: Google Hacked by Hank on 02-25-2005 at 12:37 AM

i think google is so Big, that someone at one point gets the urge to hack it to see how far they can go to destroy something or somehting  or prove how unsecure it is , iif they can do that, it gives that person a Big ego rush or addreneline rush to know they done it ( aka proved it )

RE: Google Hacked by ~INVASION~ on 02-25-2005 at 01:19 AM

holy crap thats crazy but i dont think they could do it. Like cmon its google for peetssakes. If they can and did however i hope gmail wont be affected that would totaly blow

* ~INVASION~ hides under the blankets in fear :|

haha

RE: Google Hacked by Moo on 02-25-2005 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
holy crap thats crazy but i dont think they could do it. Like cmon its google for peetssakes. If they can and did however i hope gmail wont be affected that would totaly blow

* ~INVASION~ hides under the blankets in fear :|

haha
What kind of damage can you do to the (probably backed up every minute) google database?

RE: Google Hacked by aNILEator on 02-25-2005 at 02:40 AM

What exactly is the keyhole software they are on about? and how/what does it affect?

RE: Google Hacked by ddunk on 02-25-2005 at 02:42 AM

Keyhole is a program funded by google that provides satellite views of the US (and a select few places outside of it) that go into a range of a couple hundred feet. Not a hacking tool

RE: Google Hacked by aNILEator on 02-25-2005 at 02:44 AM

So whats the big deal? how is a satelite image going to affect our email, people really do blow things out of proportion don't they.

I still want to work for google :P

RE: Google Hacked by dotNorma on 02-25-2005 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
So whats the big deal? how is a satelite image going to affect our email, people really do blow things out of proportion don't they.

Well, If some crazy trouble makers have accessed a system that can deliver views of nearly anywhere in the Unites States...That is pretty big.

But, This doesn't seem very big to me. Who wouldn't expect a huge company like google to be hacked? And its not like any real damage was done, just some people trying to prove that they have skills.
RE: Google Hacked by Concord Dawn on 02-25-2005 at 02:54 AM

Don't believe it, and even if they did, my dad's company works for the company that makes the software that Google uses to backup their database. :) So I don't care. Google's system is pretty fail safe and besides, IT'S A SEARCH ENGINE! What is there to worth knowing that you can't get from using the Google search?

RE: Google Hacked by ddunk on 02-25-2005 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Well, If some crazy trouble makers have accessed a system that can deliver views of nearly anywhere in the Unites States...That is pretty big.

It's a public program, anyone can get a fully-functional 7 day trial :P. plus the views are a couple years old :P
RE: Google Hacked by user27089 on 02-25-2005 at 08:54 AM

This is seriously crazy, I never thought it could of happened, nobodies emails are really that safe anyway tbh ... :rolleyes:...

Now we know that google is pretty much screwed :O.

RE: Google Hacked by RaceProUK on 02-25-2005 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
It's a public program, anyone can get a fully-functional 7 day trial :P. plus the views are a couple years old :P
I wonder if they're allowing aerial shots of Area 51...
RE: RE: Google Hacked by Ash_ on 02-25-2005 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:

what area you talking about, it doesent exist :P
RE: Google Hacked by Purity on 02-25-2005 at 02:01 PM

[off-topic] Yes it does :|, :D.

Ya, this google being hacked crap is just a load of s*** IMO, not true..:D

RE: Google Hacked by John Anderton on 02-25-2005 at 02:05 PM

I liked google :undecided:

RE: RE: Google Hacked by Ash_ on 02-25-2005 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I liked google :undecided:

its not like its gone, it just got hacked.
RE: RE: Google Hacked by Ash_ on 02-25-2005 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Edna Mode
you got hacked:O

wtf?. when, be nice if someone informed me earlier.
RE: Google Hacked by Wabz on 02-25-2005 at 02:32 PM

Google can't realistically be taken down in one blow.  They'll have servers accross the globe and well it'd take a major error to have everyone hacked at the same time. 

Plus they'll have backups, can you imagine if google lost all the search data they collected

RE: Google Hacked by RaceProUK on 02-25-2005 at 02:44 PM

They'll have massive server farms for sure. Probably about 40 servers in each farm.

RE: Google Hacked by WDZ on 02-25-2005 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I know other satellite imaging companies allow it, so Google/Keyhole probably does too. :p

http://www.terraserver.com/special/area51/area51.asp

The images show the basic layout of the place, but not many details, and you can't tell what's going on because everything is done inside buildings, and the pictures probably aren't updated often.
RE: Google Hacked by Veggie on 02-25-2005 at 05:38 PM

i sometimes really do wonder what they do in that place.

RE: Google Hacked by Anubis on 02-25-2005 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
i sometimes really do wonder what they do in that place.
Probably not much. If there are aliens they aren't significant enough to warrant us being told about them...They probably just test new technology, and yeah some of it may be very cool, but if it was anything really big. It would get out.
RE: Google Hacked by RaceProUK on 02-25-2005 at 07:49 PM

You gotta remember the American appetite for conspiracy.

RE: Google Hacked by absorbation on 02-26-2005 at 03:12 PM

well u can't get on google.com it directs u 2 google.co.uk

RE: Google Hacked by Edna Mode on 02-26-2005 at 03:20 PM

not for me