Shoutbox

Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport (/showthread.php?tid=39105)

Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by Old Nick on 02-24-2005 at 11:03 PM

Recently our hotmail accounts have been suspended (now re-activated).  I presume that if ignored they would have eventually been cancelled.  Would this result in termination of our .NET Passports and hence inability to use Windows/MSN Messengers?
Derek

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by RaceProUK on 02-24-2005 at 11:38 PM

If you're signing into Messenger with that account, it won't be terminated I don't think: just the inbox will be wiped.

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by Hank on 02-25-2005 at 12:06 AM

im pretty sure it wipes the whole account plus the .Net passport

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by gif83 on 02-25-2005 at 12:12 AM

why don't you make a dummy account and try it

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by Hank on 02-25-2005 at 12:15 AM

cbf , you do it

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by gif83 on 02-25-2005 at 12:19 AM

i wasn't really referring to you... i was referring to the person who posted the question...

RE: Does cancellation of hotmail account result in termination of .NET Passport by Old Nick on 02-25-2005 at 12:31 AM

In have just had my question answered by Jonathan Kay, Microsoft MVP (mcrosoft.public.windowsxp.messenger news group).  He states:

Your Passport won't be immediately cancelled when your Hotmail account expires (and continuing to log into Messenger even after your Hotmail Inbox has been deleted -will- keep the Passport active).

Microsoft really only deletes a Passport after it's been inactive (not-signed in) for a year or so (I'm not exactly sure of the time frame right now).

Old Nick (aka Derek)