Shoutbox

Messenger Plus Install Size - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus Install Size (/showthread.php?tid=39145)

Messenger Plus Install Size by jtstone1983 on 02-25-2005 at 07:59 PM

It's probably not a really big issue, but...will Messenger Plus get any bigger in size...Version 3.25 currently stands at 9.25 MB on in the Add/Remove status, and 3.40 stands at 9.43 MB...Not a real big issue, but just a question.

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Anubis on 02-25-2005 at 08:01 PM

Yes, the next version may be around 30mb when installed. Messenger Plus itself will get a bit bigger than the installer. I doubt it will ever get extremely large though, but yeah, it will keep getting bigger...

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by lopardo on 02-25-2005 at 08:11 PM

You can save space by removing "Setup.dat" in Plus folder (that's the installer) and all the languages you don't use in the "Resources" folder, but 10 MB isn't that much :)

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Dempsey on 02-25-2005 at 08:17 PM

isn't Setup.dat used for the uninstall?

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by jtstone1983 on 02-25-2005 at 08:18 PM

It's like I said, it's not a big issue...I have an 80GB hard drive for crying out loud and only used 4.6 GB ;) of it so far....so space for me isn't an issue....yet...but it was just a question, and not a real concern. :)

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by lopardo on 02-25-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
It's used for the "share" feature, which I can't find right now :)
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Eljay on 02-25-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
setup.dat is what is sent (after being renamed) when you "share messenger plus" ;)

Plus button in convos > Share one of your files > Messenger Plus!
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Anubis on 02-25-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jtstone1983
so space for me isn't an issue....yet...
I just did a little equation, and if Plus progresses the way it does by average, no one on your lower end computers should have storage concerns (even small amounts) until 2125...and that's not taking into account the increase in hard disk size.
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Patchou on 02-25-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Yes, the next version may be around 30mb when installed
What? certainely not.. the next version won't be much bigger in size than version 3.25, I'm always making sure the setup package is as small as possible.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Anubis on 02-25-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
quote:
Yes, the next version may be around 30mb when installed
What? certainely not.. the next version won't be much bigger in size than version 3.25, I'm always making sure the setup package is as small as possible.

We're talking about the installed size, not the installer; at least I think that was what he said. Also I was using the BETA installed size as a judge, I don't know if it will be that size when the debugging software is gone...
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Concord Dawn on 02-25-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:

Wouldn't it be helpful if the installer downloaded the the sponsor from your server? Lots of people don't install it, so maybe it would help bring down the installer package size?
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by Moo on 02-25-2005 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
quote:

Wouldn't it be helpful if the installer downloaded the the sponsor from your server? Lots of people don't install it, so maybe it would help bring down the installer package size?
I thought it already did that :S
Well... If he doesnt do that it's probably a matter of bandwith.
RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by jtstone1983 on 02-25-2005 at 09:46 PM

Yes, I am referring to the size of it after it is installed....and another question...is the optional sponsor software included in the final size of the installation or is it installed in it's own size?

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by matty on 02-25-2005 at 10:43 PM

This is not just Plus!. It also includes the language files and any Plugins that you have installed and all of the files that are needed for it to run. Like SPNG.

Setup.dat is the Setup file that is sent to a contact when you use "Share Messenger Plus!".

RE: Messenger Plus Install Size by jtstone1983 on 02-25-2005 at 11:04 PM

I already knew that I just wanted to know (and found out) if Plus was gonna be any bigger installed than what it already is.