Shoutbox

sign in at Idle status ?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: sign in at Idle status ?? (/showthread.php?tid=39213)

sign in at Idle status ?? by john_p12 on 02-27-2005 at 01:10 AM

hi,
         i just have a quick question, its not really a problem or bug (i think).
i was wondering how could a contact sign in directly at Idle status, and sign off without passing by Online status.  and thats at the exact same second.  thats what i saw in my Plus event log window. (i attached screenshot... hopefully)

i have MSN 7beta (the .0425), and mess patch, and stuffplug. (if all that makes a difference..)

thanks

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by CanadianOriginal on 02-27-2005 at 01:23 AM

In some circumstances, when Messenger disconnects because of internet problems, it will sign back in automatically and resume the last known status when the connection is restored. So basically, your contact was idle, his/her MSN Messenger disconnected for whatever reason, and reconnected, all without him/her ever touching the computer, so they're technically still "idle".

Hope this helps

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by john_p12 on 02-27-2005 at 02:13 AM

awesome, thanks man.

btw nice nick (although my québec is mostly canadian-iiiiish, lol)

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by SikStyles on 02-27-2005 at 04:17 AM

but there is this option right before u sing in it says sing in as: away, busy etc

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by blackjack on 02-27-2005 at 07:36 AM

Well here i have a n0ob question.. what does Idle mean.. heard about it but never know what is that.. can anyone help :$ please

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by Purity on 02-27-2005 at 07:37 AM

Means, not active for a certain period of time....:) I'm pretty sure....

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by blackjack on 02-27-2005 at 07:41 AM

Ok Ok.. thanks Purity :P i was like :o wtf is that :P

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by Goshi on 02-27-2005 at 09:41 AM

I think it's possible with other msn clients like amsn or other :)

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by RaceProUK on 02-27-2005 at 01:45 PM

The official client doesn't really support 'Idle', but a few reshacks can show if others are idle. In fact, my latest project does report contact's statuses becoming Idle.

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by CanadianOriginal on 02-27-2005 at 06:40 PM

MSN Messenger actually has 2 kinds of "Away" status. One is when the status is set manually, the other is when you're inactive for a certain period of time. With a normal version of the client, you can't tell the difference, but as raceprouk said, minor reshacks let you change the label of one of the "away" types with "Idle" (actually, any 4 letter word could fit, so you could potentially call it "Zzzz" or something like that). Since "Idle" is not a standard status, you can't select it from the sign-in dropdown.

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by x2zen on 02-27-2005 at 06:44 PM

Its quite simple.
There are two instances that need to be changed, in msgslang.dll on table 3, entry 38: " (Away)", which is for displaying next to users in the contact list, should be changed to " (Idle)". And on table 7, entry 101: "Away", for showing in the contact properties dialog, should be changed to "Idle".

RE: sign in at Idle status ?? by RaceProUK on 02-27-2005 at 09:23 PM

One day I'm going to write something to change that in memory.