Shoutbox

Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! (/showthread.php?tid=39227)

Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by craigbrass on 02-27-2005 at 08:18 AM

General Details
As many of you will know if you live in the UK, BT basically own the infostructure for broadband. They set the rules, speeds and such like and then they sell it wholesale to many ISP's.

Petition Details
BT recently announced that 4mb and 8mb broadband is going to be in trial in April this year, but that is download speed. Sadly, we have to put up with 256k upload, which is just about useless for web designers and such.

Where to sign
I have started a petition at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/1mbupload to try and get BT to increase the upload speed to 1mb on 8mb broadband. Anyone from the UK please sign the petition. It will really help us get BT to listen and take action on what the customers want. I think 10,000 signatures should do the trick.

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by Vilkku on 02-27-2005 at 08:55 AM

You only have 256k upload in UK? Hope that one helps.

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by John Anderton on 02-27-2005 at 09:01 AM

We dont have that here :dodgy:. But i will sign the petition so that it helps all the ppl in the uk. I know ..... about 10 - 12 ppl there :cheesy:
I dont live there so will my vote count ^o)
I'll vote newayz ;)

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by craigbrass on 02-27-2005 at 09:26 AM

Yep, your vote will count, BT won't kno your not in the UK....hehehe.

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by Eljay on 02-27-2005 at 09:39 AM

im gonna add my name to it because if BT up their speeds hopefully my ISP (ntl) will try and compete and make theirs even faster :banana:

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by ayjay on 02-27-2005 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
im gonna add my name to it because if BT up their speeds hopefully my ISP (ntl) will try and compete and make theirs even faster :banana:

lol. interesting theory :P

I was the 90th vote :banana:

The upload speeds really do suck atm
RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by _Humphreys on 02-27-2005 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
But i will sign the petition so that it helps all the ppl in the uk. I know ..... about 10 - 12 ppl there

Thanks for that JA.

I agree our broaband sucks and I think we pay too much for crappy sppeds. I have 300k DL / 56 K Up for 16 pounds a month. 8-)
RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by saralk on 02-27-2005 at 06:55 PM

tbh, these petitions dont make any difference, you need proper signatures, not e-sigs.

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by aNILEator on 02-27-2005 at 09:42 PM

And real sigs still mean nothing, all they have to legally do is look at it not reply or anything.

My friend and I headed a petition against the closure of a very popular gig venue in chelmsford, UK. We had many real signatures and all we got was a brief comment said to our face that we were just stupid kids , even after i pointed out that most of the signatures are by over 22 year olds they still went ahead and closed it down, then the over gig venue turned into a shitty strip bar, the other one closed and now there is none

Blah why bother asking BT to put more strain on the copper wires. start a petition to go Optical :D

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by King For A Day on 02-27-2005 at 09:46 PM

surly theres a marketing thing behnd why they do this, i doubt this petition will do anything but ill  sign anyway for the same reasons as Lee Jeffery

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by aNILEator on 02-27-2005 at 09:56 PM

well AFAIK BT were going to make the whole country fibre optic about 10 years ago but the EU or someone said that BT had too much stronghold on the phone network and should let there be competitor phone companies, this haulted their plans.

UK is very expensive and slow internet connection compared to rest of Europe,

But from BT's side they are major rich-o

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by Pr0xY on 02-28-2005 at 12:09 AM

I signed it, even though I dont like in the UK :P

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by paperless on 02-28-2005 at 12:44 AM

They are like PT.
PT has (the verb tense is going change to past soon) a huge monopoly on telephone and internet..exactly like you said they sold to other ISPs but as they were making very high prices it wasnt good for the other ISPs and they had to stop beause it wasnt giving profits to that ISPs.
Now the ISPs that were "ridicularized" by PT are making their own infrastructures and are competing with PT, example: Clix.pt they are making up to 8Mbits connection at 40 Euros which is very very cheap they are going to have 50% of the amount of lines PT has in the third trimester and someday 100% PT will start going down the pipe .
PT is losing a lot of customers because of the ISPs they tried to destroy in the past and because people are using more mobile phones than the wire phones.
And PT abuses of their monopoly by charging people who have their lines for 15€ month even if they dont make any calls so thats one more reason for changing to the other companies that are rising.

[Image: logo.gif][Image: chainsaw.gif]

RE: Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb! by toddy on 02-28-2005 at 12:48 AM

OMG 96 people, bt are bound to pay attention now :rolleyes: